• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-09T12:07:38Z by IdanAdar
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts

Pinned topic Shortening the application URL

‏2012-12-04T14:20:14Z |
Hello All,

Is there any option in the Worklight to shorten the app url or mapped it into something readable.

Thanks.
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts

Re: Shortening the application URL

‏2012-12-04T14:28:18Z  
    Hi,

There is bit.ly support for Mobile Web, where the address to the app is public (see in worklight.properties; after setting it, it will be available via Worklight Console in the environment's row).
    For other platforms the address is not public, hence the need to shorten it is not required.

What is the scenario you are looking this for?
    Which environment?

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-12-04T20:10:32Z  
    • IdanAdar
    • ‏2012-12-04T14:27:36Z
    Hi,

There is bit.ly support for Mobile Web, where the address to the app is public (see in worklight.properties; after setting it, it will be available via Worklight Console in the environment's row).
    For other platforms the address is not public, hence the need to shorten it is not required.

Which environment?

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    Hi Idan,

Thanks for the response.
    I still haven't tried to configure bit.ly ( I assume we need to register for API key first ).
    Haven't found much documentation on how it works in Worklight, so I'll need to try.

I was hoping there's a way to configure(shorten) the application path and not to use URL rewrite.
    Currently default app URL generated by the server is too long
    http://domainName/worklight/apps/services/preview/AppName/mobilewebapp/1.0/default/AppName.html
    Although, we made some URL rewrite solution for it.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-12-04T20:10:33Z  
    • IdanAdar
    • ‏2012-12-04T14:27:36Z
    Hi,

Which environment?

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    Hi Idan,

Thanks for the response.
    I still haven't tried to configure bit.ly ( I assume we need to register for API key first ).
    Haven't found much documentation on how it works in Worklight, so I'll need to try.

I was hoping there's a way to configure(shorten) the application path and not to use URL rewrite.
    Currently default app URL generated by the server is too long
    http://domainName/worklight/apps/services/preview/AppName/mobilewebapp/1.0/default/AppName.html
    Although, we made some URL rewrite solution for it.
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts

‏2012-12-04T20:26:23Z  
    bit.ly support will do just that - produce a shortened URL based on the bit.ly service.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-12-05T10:50:27Z  
    • IdanAdar
    • ‏2012-12-04T20:26:23Z
    bit.ly support will do just that - produce a shortened URL based on the bit.ly service.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    I assume it produces different domain name too (bit.ly or custom one for payed service)?
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts

‏2012-12-05T11:15:12Z  
    There is support only for the free service bit.ly provides.
    What you can do is copy the public address given to you via Worklight Console (when you are not using your bit.ly credentials), and process it through bit.ly's website to get a custom shortened URL.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-12-05T13:00:01Z  
    • IdanAdar
    • ‏2012-12-05T11:15:12Z
    There is support only for the free service bit.ly provides.
    What you can do is copy the public address given to you via Worklight Console (when you are not using your bit.ly credentials), and process it through bit.ly's website to get a custom shortened URL.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    Thanks Idan for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.
    I tried bitly and got the short URL, but after opening the URL in browser it redirects to the old one with long path again (similar to url rewite with R flag on http server).
    Do you have any info on how the application path is generated on the server?
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts

‏2012-12-09T12:07:38Z  
    It is not an old URL, it is The URL.
    bit.ly is a shortening service, it shortens your URL and then redirects to the actual one. It is so you or your user will not have to tap a very long URL into the device browser's address bar.

Worklight currently does not have such a feature to "prettify" the path.
    You can suggest features. See here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=461545&tstart=0
    Idan Adar
    QA Engineer