Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-04T05:12:55Z by tmparker
george.baker
george.baker
312 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Dynamic screen timeout

‏2012-12-04T03:52:36Z |
We have a system environment that is considerably slower that the other, but we use the same HATS project to access both systems. We need the screen timeout to work for both systems. the systems use TN3270e with contention resolution enabled. My solution would be to specify a value large enough to enable the slowest system to work. There are some who believe that specifying the large value, e.g. 15000, would cause the faster system to run slower. I ensured them that would not happen with contention resolution enabled. Is it possible to read a value from a properties file and use the value to dynamically change the screen timeout property in a macro?

However, I've been asked if there is a way that we could read this value from a properties file when the user starts the application and have that value used. The idea being that they would use a smaller value for the faster system. I've searched and cannot find such a capability, unless I could use a macro variable for that specification. Is this allowed? I know I can use a macro variable for other things, like erow, but will it work with the timeout value?
Updated on 2012-12-04T05:12:55Z at 2012-12-04T05:12:55Z by tmparker
  • george.baker
    george.baker
    312 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Dynamic screen timeout

‏2012-12-04T04:01:39Z  in response to george.baker
    Well, I confirmed that it is not possible. Only a numeric value is allowed for that value.
    • tmparker
      tmparker
      516 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Dynamic screen timeout

‏2012-12-04T05:12:55Z  in response to george.baker
      The screen timeout value has nothing to do with how fast the macro runs. That will only be a factor when the screens don't match at all. At that point performance is the least of your problems. The pause time is the only value that will really have any impact on the performance of the macro.