Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-17T03:34:06Z by KenGurusamy
KenGurusamy
KenGurusamy
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic M5014 - Online Capacity Expansion

‏2012-12-03T04:42:06Z |
We have a IBM x3650M3 with ServerRAID M5014 Card. We need to expand the capacity of a volume (RAID 5) with new HDD's. Using the MegaRAID Storage Manager (Windows) how do I accomplish this?? I believe the feature is called Online Capacity Expansion

I have looked high & low and cannot find any documentation.

Thanks
Updated on 2012-12-17T03:34:06Z at 2012-12-17T03:34:06Z by KenGurusamy
  • KenGurusamy
    KenGurusamy
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: M5014 - Online Capacity Expansion

‏2012-12-13T01:42:10Z  in response to KenGurusamy
    No solutions?? I could not find any documents on this via IBM support website.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      9111 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T12:16:57Z  in response to KenGurusamy
      Hello,

I did not find also a document on IBM site, but maybe this can help you: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_30669C81E559432E94299BB3C33DC81E&isLegacy=true

Dell PERC also use LSI boards, so it should be fairly the same process.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        9111 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T12:40:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello again,

Found another information about LSI OCE:

"To increase the capacity of a virtual disk, follow these steps:

Click the Logical View tab in the left panel.
        Right-click on a virtual disk icon and select Advanced Operations >> Reconstruction Wizard.
        The Reconstruction Wizard window appears.
        Click Add Drive.
        In the top panel of the next screen, select the disk drives that you want to add to the virtual disk and click the down-arrow button to add them. If you change your mind, click the up-arrow button to move a selected drive back to the top panel.
        When you are finished adding disk drives, click Next to continue.
        If desired, select a new RAID level from the drop-down menu in the lower right of the next screen. Review the displayed information for the newly expanded virtual disk.
        Click Finish to accept the new configuration.
        A Reconstruct operation begins on the virtual disk. You can monitor the progress of the reconstruction in the Group Show Progress window. To do this, select Group Operations >> Show Progress."
        I cannot test this right now, I cannot reboot my server to enter Webios, so it`s up to you to confirm. :)
        • KenGurusamy
          KenGurusamy
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-17T03:34:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks for the info. My new HDD's will be coming in next week. Will give it a try and revert.

I have also asked IBM Techline, but they also do not have any info on this.

Regards