Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-07-24T10:10:27Z by thsturm
achao
achao
3 Posts

Pinned topic Why are there ar*.zip files at the top level of the file system

‏2012-12-01T03:38:54Z |
Does anyone know what the ar*.zip file at the top level of the DOORS database data folder of the file system are, e.g., c:\doors_data\ar3f1a01560.zip?
Updated on 2012-12-03T05:21:57Z at 2012-12-03T05:21:57Z by SudarshanRao
  • SudarshanRao
    SudarshanRao
    17 Posts

Re: Why are there ar*.zip files at the top level of the file system

‏2012-12-03T05:21:57Z  
    ar*.zip files are temporary files created during archive/restore process. They're usually deleted after the archive/restore process is completed. If the process of archive/restore fails, these files too remain. Its safe to delete them, assuming you don't have any archive/restore process that's going on..
    Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Sudarshan
  • thsturm
    thsturm
    22 Posts

‏2014-07-22T09:33:03Z  
    ar*.zip files are temporary files created during archive/restore process. They're usually deleted after the archive/restore process is completed. If the process of archive/restore fails, these files too remain. Its safe to delete them, assuming you don't have any archive/restore process that's going on..
    Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Sudarshan

I have found other *.zip files (m000....zip and p100...zip)

Are these also leavings of an archive trial?

Can I delete these zip-files without side effect to the database?

• kourosh
    kourosh
    30 Posts

‏2014-07-22T22:56:18Z  
    • thsturm
    • ‏2014-07-22T09:33:03Z

Only ar*.zip would be leftover by an incomplete archive. So no, these other zip files would not also be leavings of an archive trial. It is likely that these were actually manually created by a user. What is the date these were created on? How big are they in size - are they really a problem for disk space?

Updated on 2014-07-22T23:03:48Z at 2014-07-22T23:03:48Z by kourosh
  • thsturm
    thsturm
    22 Posts

‏2014-07-23T07:01:05Z  
    • kourosh
    • ‏2014-07-22T22:56:18Z

Only ar*.zip would be leftover by an incomplete archive. So no, these other zip files would not also be leavings of an archive trial. It is likely that these were actually manually created by a user. What is the date these were created on? How big are they in size - are they really a problem for disk space?

The date of the files are from 2010 (m*.zip)  and from 1999 (p*.zip). Size 10M to 100M.

It is not the size of the files, that annoys me. I want only delete unused files.

And if they are meaningfull for DOORS in some way, I will not touch them.

But if they are only temporary carryover from an interupted archiving, then I will delete them.

• kourosh
    kourosh
    30 Posts

‏2014-07-23T21:10:45Z  
    • thsturm
    • ‏2014-07-23T07:01:05Z

The date of the files are from 2010 (m*.zip)  and from 1999 (p*.zip). Size 10M to 100M.

It is not the size of the files, that annoys me. I want only delete unused files.

And if they are meaningfull for DOORS in some way, I will not touch them.

But if they are only temporary carryover from an interupted archiving, then I will delete them.

I can't say with 100% certainty that they are no longer needed since I'm not familiar with your database, but most likely the chances are they are not needed for anything. Sometimes people zip up certain data folders as backup or to send to support for investigation if there was a possible data corruption. As it's more than likely not needed, you could always move it to another location outside of the $SERVERDATA just in case.

• llandale
    llandale
    252 Posts

‏2014-07-23T21:20:38Z  
    • thsturm
    • ‏2014-07-22T09:33:03Z

My memory is suspect, but I vaguely remember that there is the notion of "server archive", you initiate the archve from your client PC but insist the archve file be stored on the server.  Since these files start with "m" and "p" I'm guessing that is what they are.

It is extemely unlikely the database needs them.  To find out, rename them "*.zip.ToBeDeleted", and if there are no issues delete them next month.

Yes, look at the dates of them.  Perhaps run the client on the server and try to "restore" one or two in some playground project.

-Louie

Note that v4 of DOORS, the archives ended in "*.zip".

You may find one that starts with "u".  That is a "user archive", do NOT restore that.

The memory is 11 years old, and yes we found and removed such "server archives" and deleted them; but I don't recall the format of the file names.

Updated on 2014-07-23T21:22:37Z at 2014-07-23T21:22:37Z by llandale
  • thsturm
    thsturm
    22 Posts

‏2014-07-24T10:10:27Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2014-07-23T21:20:38Z

My memory is suspect, but I vaguely remember that there is the notion of "server archive", you initiate the archve from your client PC but insist the archve file be stored on the server.  Since these files start with "m" and "p" I'm guessing that is what they are.

It is extemely unlikely the database needs them.  To find out, rename them "*.zip.ToBeDeleted", and if there are no issues delete them next month.

Yes, look at the dates of them.  Perhaps run the client on the server and try to "restore" one or two in some playground project.

-Louie

Note that v4 of DOORS, the archives ended in "*.zip".

You may find one that starts with "u".  That is a "user archive", do NOT restore that.

The memory is 11 years old, and yes we found and removed such "server archives" and deleted them; but I don't recall the format of the file names.

Thank you, this is a very good idea.

Hopefully I dont foregt to delete these renamed files :-)