Topic
12 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-04T16:58:00Z by mattymatt79
mattymatt79
mattymatt79
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DS3500 Configuration Issues FC Daughter Card

‏2012-11-30T20:32:37Z |
We have a new DS3512 that we are wanting to configure, connecting with an FC Daughter card.
The QLogic 8GB FC Card isn't even seeing it and by looks of it, my zoning is correct.

I have all three blades configured in a zone with the three fibre ports. A simple configuration.

DS Storage manager can see the network cards and I can create array's, drives, and everything else storage related with it.

The QLogic I/O config webpage says that there isn't even anything plugged into the fibre port on it's end. Using 850nm SFP's on both sides, and the I/O cards are on I/O 3 and 4. Neither QLogic can see the device.

I installed the SANSurfer software and its software is seeing the cards attached to my W2K8R2 server and it sees both ports, but again, nothing is installed.

It's like the FC Card is either not working, or the ports are shut down. I can't seem to find anywhere to configure the ports inside of DS Manager so am I missing something? I thought in other situations, they just came up and then after configuring zoning, the Storage Manager would see everything and I go from there.

Is the problem between the chair and keyboard?

Thanks.
Updated on 2012-12-04T16:58:00Z at 2012-12-04T16:58:00Z by mattymatt79
  • Berniebgbb
    Berniebgbb
    75 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DS3500 Configuration Issues FC Daughter Card

‏2012-12-02T10:41:47Z  in response to mattymatt79
    Hi Matty,

Please see following forum port, your problem sound similar and there is a resolution.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=458929&tstart=45

Let us know how you go.

Bernie
    • mattymatt79
      mattymatt79
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T14:47:58Z  in response to Berniebgbb
      Bernie,
      thank you for your reply, I pulled all of the SFP's out of the DS3500 and it was a mishmash of interfaces. JDSU / Finnistar / and some labeled IBM Corp. Looking at other configurations we have here that are working, that post is correct in that they should be JDSU marked SFP's. I swapped them out.

Now in the QLogic switch in the blade center, they're all marked with the IBM Corp 850nm 8GB sfp, so that should work correct?

I still have no link between the QLogic switch and the DS3500. It's like the cards in the storage aren't on or something.
      • The_Doctor
        The_Doctor
        28 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T15:20:03Z  in response to mattymatt79
        If I didn't know better, I'd say your description makes it sound like the EXTERNAL ports are disabled. So.... I have to ask:
        • are the EXTERNAL ports enabled on I/O modules 3 & 4 ?

This is probably not your problem, so my apologies for asking such a basic question.
        • mattymatt79
          mattymatt79
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T15:32:44Z  in response to The_Doctor
          It looks like it, using the QLogic quick tools. I can achieve an active connection using the same swiches in I/O 3 and 4 to another DS3500.

Switch I/0 3
          0 - TS3100
          15 - DS3512 A Slot 1 Port 1
          16 - DS3512 B Slot 1 Port 1 This is the Storage we can't connect too.

Switch I/0 4
          0 - TS3100
          15 - DS3512 A Slot 2 Port 1
          16 - DS3512 B Slot 2 Port 1 This is the storage we can't connect too.
          I can connect to the 1st DS3500 from both switches so I don't think it's the QLogic switch.
          • mattymatt79
            mattymatt79
            8 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T16:13:12Z  in response to mattymatt79
            Since the same blade center is connecting to two different DS3400, do I need to configure the QLogic switches to be on different domains?

Or would it just be a better configuration here if

Switch 1 connected to tape drive and DS3512 1
            Switch 2 connected to tape drive and DS3512 2
            • mattymatt79
              mattymatt79
              8 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T20:07:53Z  in response to mattymatt79
              Looking at another DS3512 on the network, inside of it's Host Interfaces, it shows the FC Channel host cards.

On the one that I'm trying to configure, it doesn't show up at all, it only lists 2 SAS interfaces, both as down. So it's like the controller isn't even seeing that there should be FC cards installed? Has anyone ran into this issue before?
              • The_Doctor
                The_Doctor
                28 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T20:27:35Z  in response to mattymatt79
                It almost sounds like, this OPTIONAL (aka extra charge) part is not installed in BOTH controllers on your new DS3512:

p/n     f/c  Description 68Y8432 3611 8Gb FC 4 Port Daughter Card

But it does make me wonder how the FC cables every got plugged in..... so something is strange. I'd suggest it might be time to open a service call with IBM h/w support.
                • mattymatt79
                  mattymatt79
                  8 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T20:31:05Z  in response to The_Doctor
                  Controller A and B both have them installed. I'm wondering if I flash the firmware on them. It's like they're not even being seen by the enclosure.
                  Is there any telnet commands that could initialize the cards or anything like that since the Storage Manager doesn't offer any configuration like that?
                  • The_Doctor
                    The_Doctor
                    28 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T04:22:00Z  in response to mattymatt79
                    well the CLI does offer up these possibilities:
                    • Start Host Interface Card Diagnostic
                    • Show Host Interface Card Diagnostic Status
                    but I've never been down this rat hole so you're on your own. a.k.a. I suspect this will be a complete waste of time for you.

I'd suggest you get IBM h/w support on the phone & get them working on your problem.
                    • mattymatt79
                      mattymatt79
                      8 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T14:46:44Z  in response to The_Doctor
                      Interesting. Yeah I suppose I should get with support.

Do you have a list of commands? I've looked all over the internet and hell finding the username to just log into the device was like pulling teeth. And then it just takes me to this VxWorks prompt which looks crazy as well.
                      • The_Doctor
                        The_Doctor
                        28 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T15:44:21Z  in response to mattymatt79
                        I'm not recommending it, but the CLI manual you'll need is GA32-0961-05 , found here -> Link: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5076792

For the 1st time CLI user, the setup is a little complex. Just MHO. So, you have a lot of reading to do. e.g. you need to use "smcli" to connect to the correct controller.... and then use "smcli" to run your CLI commands.

I still suspect your best mileage route is IBM h/w support (although, just to reset the playing field, their 1st suggestion may be -> reflash your firmware <- ..... but what do I know :) ).
                        • mattymatt79
                          mattymatt79
                          8 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T16:58:00Z  in response to The_Doctor
                          So poking around more and more and more about the correct firmware, I found this article.

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5091899&brandind=5000028
                          Apparently it was a flaw in the code with IBM when it shipped.
                          I flashed the FW and blam, all of a sudden 8gb of fast connection between FC Daughter card and Blade Center.

Thanks all for the help and the reading. That SMCli is a pain... big time.