Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-04T21:39:14Z by ajvjr
ajvjr
ajvjr
33 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to create Metadata in WQ?

‏2012-11-30T18:01:40Z |
Dear Group,

I'm going through new WQ 2.1 Tutorial Redbook - Chapter 3.2.1 at step 6 and after trying to create synonym I get below error. My user profile has all proper authorities (I believe).

(FOC1220) MASTER FILE WQTUTORI/CENT_EH_STORES OPEN FOR WRITE ERROR.
(FOC1528) (CREATE SYNONYM) Unable to write in file: WQTUTORI/CENT_EH_STORES

Any advise as to what causes this error is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Armando
Updated on 2012-12-04T21:39:14Z at 2012-12-04T21:39:14Z by ajvjr
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3614 Posts

Re: Unable to create Metadata in WQ?

‏2012-11-30T18:28:03Z  
    Hi Armando - do you have group PTF level 2 applied?

Are you either a Web Query admin or part of the DBA group/role for that top level folder?

If yes to both and if you have software maintenance, you might want to open a PMR.
  • ajvjr
    ajvjr
    33 Posts

‏2012-12-01T18:28:26Z  
    Gene,

Yes, I do:

PTF group . . . . . . . . : SF99646
    Level . . . . . . . . . . : 2
    Status . . . . . . . . . . : Installed
    Target release . . . . . . : V6R1M0
    Text . . . . . . : DB2 WEB QUERY FOR I V2.1.0

Type options, press Enter.
    5=Display PTF details 6=Print cover letter 8=Display cover letter

PTF Product
    Opt ID ID Release Status
    SI48293 5733WQX V2R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI48040 5733WQX V2R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI47615 5733WQX V2R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI45002 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Superseded
    SI42752 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Superseded
    SI42436 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI41991 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Permanently applied

And yes, I'm using the old WQADMIN profile. And I made sure that user is part of the admin, analyst, dba, dev, run and sched groups.

I will open a PMR.

Thanks!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3614 Posts

‏2012-12-03T15:21:44Z  
    • ajvjr
    • ‏2012-12-01T18:28:26Z
    Gene,

Yes, I do:

PTF group . . . . . . . . : SF99646
    Level . . . . . . . . . . : 2
    Status . . . . . . . . . . : Installed
    Target release . . . . . . : V6R1M0
    Text . . . . . . : DB2 WEB QUERY FOR I V2.1.0

Type options, press Enter.
    5=Display PTF details 6=Print cover letter 8=Display cover letter

PTF Product
    Opt ID ID Release Status
    SI48293 5733WQX V2R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI48040 5733WQX V2R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI47615 5733WQX V2R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI45002 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Superseded
    SI42752 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Superseded
    SI42436 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Temporarily applied
    SI41991 5761SS1 V6R1M0 Permanently applied

And yes, I'm using the old WQADMIN profile. And I made sure that user is part of the admin, analyst, dba, dev, run and sched groups.

I will open a PMR.

Thanks!
    Armando - one quick thing to check. Each synonym master file is secured by an authorization list. Issue this command:
    WRKLNK OBJ('/qibm/userdata/qwebqry/apps/WQTUTORI/CENT_EH_STORES.mas')
    (or whatever the full master file path is) and select option 9 to display

You should see the auth list at the top. Issue the DSPAUTL command to make sure your user profile is a member of that auth list. Example:
    DSPAUTL AUTL(QWQ0000000)

If unsure, just send in screenshots of the results of above 2 commands.
  • ajvjr
    ajvjr
    33 Posts

‏2012-12-04T00:12:40Z  
    Gene,

Attached is a PDF of screen shots. Now the path you mentioned for WQTUTORI does not exist. I did create the domain/folder WQ TUTORIAL, but I don't have that. All the ACX and MAS files are just in the "baseapp" directory (just fyi incase).

Directory . . . . : /qibm/UserData/qwebqry/apps/baseapp

So, as to not confuse what your are seeing the directory listing of the file that was already existing, which came over from the migration.

As a test I created a new user AJVJR and through the QWQADMIN login I granted authority to this group also and I received below when trying to authorize to group WQTUTORI-dba (not sure if it related) the other group were fine admin, analyst, dev, run and sched.

Error Code.....1378
    Asynchronous...false
    Public.........false
    URI............http://server1.vilden.net:12331/webquery/WFServlet.ibfs

Parameters:
    IBFS1_action: addUserToGroup
    IBFS_groupName: IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/wqtutori-dba
    IBFS_userName: IBFS:/SSYS/USERS/ajvjr
    INTERNAL_PARENT_ID: IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/wqtutori-dba
    IBIWF_SES_AUTH_TOKEN: 31056edbf8757187de0ba08c58e8cbaf

AJAX Return Document:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <ibfsrpc _jt="IBFSResponseObject" language="EN" localizeddesc="DB2WebQuery Authorization List failure ApplicationDirectoryDoesNotExist " name="addUserToGroup" returncode="1378" returndesc="DB2WebQuery Authorization List failure ApplicationDirectoryDoesNotExist " subreturncode="0" subsystem="SSYS" type="simple"><ibfsparams size="2"><entry key="IBFS_groupName" value="IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/wqtutori-dba"/><entry key="IBFS_userName" value="IBFS:/SSYS/USERS/ajvjr"/></ibfsparams><ibfserrorvalues size="1"><entry key="REFERENCE" value="ApplicationDirectoryDoesNotExist"/></ibfserrorvalues></ibfsrpc>
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3614 Posts

‏2012-12-04T17:22:58Z  
    • ajvjr
    • ‏2012-12-04T00:12:40Z
    Gene,

Attached is a PDF of screen shots. Now the path you mentioned for WQTUTORI does not exist. I did create the domain/folder WQ TUTORIAL, but I don't have that. All the ACX and MAS files are just in the "baseapp" directory (just fyi incase).

Directory . . . . : /qibm/UserData/qwebqry/apps/baseapp

So, as to not confuse what your are seeing the directory listing of the file that was already existing, which came over from the migration.

As a test I created a new user AJVJR and through the QWQADMIN login I granted authority to this group also and I received below when trying to authorize to group WQTUTORI-dba (not sure if it related) the other group were fine admin, analyst, dev, run and sched.

Error Code.....1378
    Asynchronous...false
    Public.........false
    URI............http://server1.vilden.net:12331/webquery/WFServlet.ibfs

Parameters:
    IBFS1_action: addUserToGroup
    IBFS_groupName: IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/wqtutori-dba
    IBFS_userName: IBFS:/SSYS/USERS/ajvjr
    INTERNAL_PARENT_ID: IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/wqtutori-dba
    IBIWF_SES_AUTH_TOKEN: 31056edbf8757187de0ba08c58e8cbaf

AJAX Return Document:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <ibfsrpc _jt="IBFSResponseObject" language="EN" localizeddesc="DB2WebQuery Authorization List failure ApplicationDirectoryDoesNotExist " name="addUserToGroup" returncode="1378" returndesc="DB2WebQuery Authorization List failure ApplicationDirectoryDoesNotExist " subreturncode="0" subsystem="SSYS" type="simple"><ibfsparams size="2"><entry key="IBFS_groupName" value="IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/wqtutori-dba"/><entry key="IBFS_userName" value="IBFS:/SSYS/USERS/ajvjr"/></ibfsparams><ibfserrorvalues size="1"><entry key="REFERENCE" value="ApplicationDirectoryDoesNotExist"/></ibfserrorvalues></ibfsrpc>
    Armando - If you are following the Redbook, you would have created a top level folder (formerly known as a "domain") named "Century Electronics" - but you can certainly name it WQ TUTORIAL if you want. This is where you will create the reports/charts/dashboards for the tutorials.

When you create a top level folder, Web Query is supposed to create an application folder by the same name (This is where you create your synonyms). Web Query then "links" the application folder to the top level folder and places it above BASEAPP (which is also linked to the top level folder). This is very similar to the way library lists behave.

While you should be able to still create and access the MAS and ACX files in BASEAPP, the tutorials were intended to show you how Web Query now creates them in the specific application folder by default (as this is a best practice we want to promote).

If you did create the WQ TUTORIAL top level folder and it did not create an application folder by the same name, then there is a problem. Not sure what exactly is going on, but before you open a PMR, maybe try starting over to see exactly if (and where) it starts to fail.

Thanks.
  • ajvjr
    ajvjr
    33 Posts

‏2012-12-04T20:20:30Z  
    Gene,

Understand now, the WQ Tutorial domain/folder I created was in the old environment and when the migration was completed all files are copied into the baseapp directory. No assumptions are made based on the existing domain/folder structure that was in place (at least in my case) prior to 2.1 upgrade. I created a new folders in new 2.1 env and was able to successfully create new synonym with success. As when I did the wrklnk command again I see the new folder in the APPS directory, with the new synonyms I created. The previous create synonym was task was failing because there was no folder to drop them into.

Being that I have other production folders that are missing, what would you suggest I do get everything corrected. Would it be as simple as:

1. create new folders manually in apps directory.
    2. move the ACX/MAS files from baseapp directory to the respective folder.

Or better to do as much as possible via the WebQuery UI, by creating folders copy reports and open and save in new folders?

Thanks,
    Armando
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3614 Posts

‏2012-12-04T20:55:57Z  
    • ajvjr
    • ‏2012-12-04T20:20:30Z
    Gene,

Understand now, the WQ Tutorial domain/folder I created was in the old environment and when the migration was completed all files are copied into the baseapp directory. No assumptions are made based on the existing domain/folder structure that was in place (at least in my case) prior to 2.1 upgrade. I created a new folders in new 2.1 env and was able to successfully create new synonym with success. As when I did the wrklnk command again I see the new folder in the APPS directory, with the new synonyms I created. The previous create synonym was task was failing because there was no folder to drop them into.

Being that I have other production folders that are missing, what would you suggest I do get everything corrected. Would it be as simple as:

1. create new folders manually in apps directory.
    2. move the ACX/MAS files from baseapp directory to the respective folder.

Or better to do as much as possible via the WebQuery UI, by creating folders copy reports and open and save in new folders?

Thanks,
    Armando
    Armando - Here is a summary of what is supposed to happen during 1.1.x to 2.1 migration:

1 - For each 1.1.2 "domain", a new 2.1 "top level folder" is created
    2 - All 1.1.2 domain content (reports, charts, dashboards, etc.) is copied to the 2.1 top level folder
    3 - A new application folder with the same name (as the top level folder) is created
    4 - An authorization list is created for and secures the application folder. Users/groups that could access the 1.1.2 domain are added to this authorization list.
    5 - Any application folders linked to the 1.1.2 domain are created in 2.1 and linked to the top level folder. This app folder is also secured by same auth list in previous step.
    6 - Any synonyms (MAS and ACX files) in 1.1.2 linked application folders are copied to 2.1 application folders
    7 - Finally BASEAPP application folder is created in 2.1 and 1.1.2 synonyms are copied over. All top level folders are linked automatically to BASEAPP.

So given this, what worked in 1.1.2 should also work in 2.1. Now you can move your synonyms from BASEAPP and/or linked app folders to the "new" linked app folder (the one whose name matches the name of the top level folder). This would be a best practice but you must be careful - when you move synonyms out of BASEAPP then reports in other top level folders would no longer find be able to find them (unless they are linked to the new app folder "home" of the synonyms).

So if you have multiple top level folders that need to access the same synonyms, you really have 3 options:
    Leave the synonyms in BASEAPP - all top level folders are linked to BASEAPP and will be able to access them
    Duplicate the synonym in each of the specific linked application folders
    Do both - leave them in BASEAPP (so as not to break anything) and duplicate them in the linked app folders. Web Query will use the order of the linked app folders to find the first occurrence of the synonym in the list of linked app folders(again, this is like library list behavior)

Just keep in mind that if you duplicate synonyms then you put yourself in a position of having to maintain them in the future. So any new define/compute fields, filters, new join segments, etc would have to be applied to each of the duplicates.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3614 Posts

‏2012-12-04T21:11:05Z  
    Armando - Here is a summary of what is supposed to happen during 1.1.x to 2.1 migration:

1 - For each 1.1.2 "domain", a new 2.1 "top level folder" is created
    2 - All 1.1.2 domain content (reports, charts, dashboards, etc.) is copied to the 2.1 top level folder
    3 - A new application folder with the same name (as the top level folder) is created
    4 - An authorization list is created for and secures the application folder. Users/groups that could access the 1.1.2 domain are added to this authorization list.
    5 - Any application folders linked to the 1.1.2 domain are created in 2.1 and linked to the top level folder. This app folder is also secured by same auth list in previous step.
    6 - Any synonyms (MAS and ACX files) in 1.1.2 linked application folders are copied to 2.1 application folders
    7 - Finally BASEAPP application folder is created in 2.1 and 1.1.2 synonyms are copied over. All top level folders are linked automatically to BASEAPP.

So given this, what worked in 1.1.2 should also work in 2.1. Now you can move your synonyms from BASEAPP and/or linked app folders to the "new" linked app folder (the one whose name matches the name of the top level folder). This would be a best practice but you must be careful - when you move synonyms out of BASEAPP then reports in other top level folders would no longer find be able to find them (unless they are linked to the new app folder "home" of the synonyms).

So if you have multiple top level folders that need to access the same synonyms, you really have 3 options:
    Leave the synonyms in BASEAPP - all top level folders are linked to BASEAPP and will be able to access them
    Duplicate the synonym in each of the specific linked application folders
    Do both - leave them in BASEAPP (so as not to break anything) and duplicate them in the linked app folders. Web Query will use the order of the linked app folders to find the first occurrence of the synonym in the list of linked app folders(again, this is like library list behavior)

Just keep in mind that if you duplicate synonyms then you put yourself in a position of having to maintain them in the future. So any new define/compute fields, filters, new join segments, etc would have to be applied to each of the duplicates.
    Another consideration if you are planning to move synonyms out of BASEAPP:
    If you are using the Spreadsheet client, then hold off. If you have reports based on synonyms not in BASEAPP and you are using those reports in the spreadsheet client, there is a known issue in the spreadsheet client that is being worked on.
  • ajvjr
    ajvjr
    33 Posts

‏2012-12-04T21:39:14Z  
    Gene,

Thanks for all the insight. Being that we are mostly in an R&D and have very minimal production reports etc, just a few corporate things we've done for proof of concept I will take this time to clean things up and eliminate what I don't need and just recreate stuff for practice sake.

We had problems with the migration during the upgrade which a few of things you mentioned for whatever reason didn't happen and when we recovered still didn't happen. For some reason WQADMIN uid from 1.1.2 got disabled which created issues during the migration step (I guess) authorities/rights/ownership couldn't be migrated to an unauthorized user id.

I'll work through it manually.

Thanks again!!

Armando