Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-02T19:33:00Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1061 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Definition Import keyed on GUID instead of NAME?

‏2012-11-30T16:20:00Z |
I assumed that when I import definitions, they were being imported via their GUIDs. However, when outside of SA - I was changing the definitions names, but keeping the GUIDs intact. When I imported the definitions via the .CSV (comma delimited) file, new definitions are being created with new GUIDs because the definitoin names have changed. Is this a a bug with the import?
Updated on 2013-01-02T19:33:00Z at 2013-01-02T19:33:00Z by SystemAdmin
  • RobertoFdez
    RobertoFdez
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Definition Import keyed on GUID instead of NAME?

‏2012-12-03T07:16:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I think (at least in my experience) that import is keyed by name and key properties, although I always try to include GUID field.
  • alexis.gigleux
    alexis.gigleux
    38 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T14:11:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have the same problem and I can't find any solution. I'll follow this thread to check if someone find a solution and if I do, I'll post it there.
  • ArifH
    ArifH
    30 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T15:36:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can't use csv import to rename definitions.
    Still using SA V10.8
    Exporting and importing a definition from one encyclopedia to another creates a new GUID.
    So much for GLobal Unique IDentifier.
    Does not occur in ;latest versions, I am informed.
    • TerryMoriarty
      TerryMoriarty
      126 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T16:18:00Z  in response to ArifH
      Hi ArifH,

Are you saying that in Release 8.2.1, if you keep the GUID in the CSV file, you can rename definitions? This would definitely be new functionality. I don't remember seeing it in the What's New. Will check again. Do you know if it propogates through all the references?

Thanks,
      Terry
      • TerryMoriarty
        TerryMoriarty
        126 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T16:26:49Z  in response to TerryMoriarty
        OOPS. that should be 11.4.2.1. Working on too many different products and picked up the wrong release number.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1061 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T19:47:34Z  in response to TerryMoriarty
          Is there a way to exclude the "name" as a key property to the definition?

Otherwise we're lookin at a macro to complete something that seems so basic?
      • ArifH
        ArifH
        30 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-05T12:07:30Z  in response to TerryMoriarty
        Hi Terry,

You can't use csv import to rename definitions.
        The Name is the key.
        You will have to use "a macro to complete something that seems so basic".

I was just saying that, in SA V10.8, there is a hiccup with the csv import.
        Even when I change nothing, simply export and import an definition between encyclopdias,
        it still changes the GUID. This bug is supposed to be fixed in latest version.

Arif
    • alexis.gigleux
      alexis.gigleux
      38 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-21T09:08:54Z  in response to ArifH
      I have upgraded to SA 11.4.2.1 and the CSV import is still based on the name, NOT the GUID.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1061 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T19:33:00Z  in response to alexis.gigleux
        Alexis - IBM said they will be addressing this issue in future releases. The following Request For Enhancements (RFE)s have been submitted by concerned users who pretty much are describing the same issue:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=22679

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=16592

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=9569
        Submit a "vote" to show the developers how important this enhancement is - maybe they will make it a higher priority. The third link already has 9 votes!