Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-02T19:33:00Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1061 Posts

Pinned topic Definition Import keyed on GUID instead of NAME?

‏2012-11-30T16:20:00Z |
I assumed that when I import definitions, they were being imported via their GUIDs. However, when outside of SA - I was changing the definitions names, but keeping the GUIDs intact. When I imported the definitions via the .CSV (comma delimited) file, new definitions are being created with new GUIDs because the definitoin names have changed. Is this a a bug with the import?
Updated on 2013-01-02T19:33:00Z at 2013-01-02T19:33:00Z by SystemAdmin
  • RobertoFdez
    RobertoFdez
    102 Posts

Re: Definition Import keyed on GUID instead of NAME?

‏2012-12-03T07:16:37Z  
    I think (at least in my experience) that import is keyed by name and key properties, although I always try to include GUID field.
  • alexis.gigleux
    alexis.gigleux
    38 Posts

‏2012-12-04T14:11:31Z  
    I have the same problem and I can't find any solution. I'll follow this thread to check if someone find a solution and if I do, I'll post it there.
  • ArifH
    ArifH
    30 Posts

‏2012-12-04T15:36:51Z  
    You can't use csv import to rename definitions.
    Still using SA V10.8
    Exporting and importing a definition from one encyclopedia to another creates a new GUID.
    So much for GLobal Unique IDentifier.
    Does not occur in ;latest versions, I am informed.
  • TerryMoriarty
    TerryMoriarty
    126 Posts

‏2012-12-04T16:18:00Z  
    • ArifH
    • ‏2012-12-04T15:36:51Z
    Still using SA V10.8
    Exporting and importing a definition from one encyclopedia to another creates a new GUID.
    Hi ArifH,

Are you saying that in Release 8.2.1, if you keep the GUID in the CSV file, you can rename definitions? This would definitely be new functionality. I don't remember seeing it in the What's New. Will check again. Do you know if it propogates through all the references?

Thanks,
    Terry
  • TerryMoriarty
    TerryMoriarty
    126 Posts

‏2012-12-04T16:26:49Z  
    Hi ArifH,

Are you saying that in Release 8.2.1, if you keep the GUID in the CSV file, you can rename definitions? This would definitely be new functionality. I don't remember seeing it in the What's New. Will check again. Do you know if it propogates through all the references?

Thanks,
    Terry
    OOPS. that should be 11.4.2.1. Working on too many different products and picked up the wrong release number.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1061 Posts

‏2012-12-04T19:47:34Z  
    OOPS. that should be 11.4.2.1. Working on too many different products and picked up the wrong release number.
    Is there a way to exclude the "name" as a key property to the definition?

Otherwise we're lookin at a macro to complete something that seems so basic?
  • ArifH
    ArifH
    30 Posts

‏2012-12-05T12:07:30Z  
    Hi ArifH,

Thanks,
    Terry
    Hi Terry,

The Name is the key.
    You will have to use "a macro to complete something that seems so basic".

I was just saying that, in SA V10.8, there is a hiccup with the csv import.
    Even when I change nothing, simply export and import an definition between encyclopdias,
    it still changes the GUID. This bug is supposed to be fixed in latest version.

Arif
  • alexis.gigleux
    alexis.gigleux
    38 Posts

‏2012-12-21T09:08:54Z  
    • ArifH
    • ‏2012-12-04T15:36:51Z
    Still using SA V10.8
    I have upgraded to SA 11.4.2.1 and the CSV import is still based on the name, NOT the GUID.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1061 Posts

‏2013-01-02T19:33:00Z  
    I have upgraded to SA 11.4.2.1 and the CSV import is still based on the name, NOT the GUID.
    Alexis - IBM said they will be addressing this issue in future releases. The following Request For Enhancements (RFE)s have been submitted by concerned users who pretty much are describing the same issue:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=22679

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=16592

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=9569
    Submit a "vote" to show the developers how important this enhancement is - maybe they will make it a higher priority. The third link already has 9 votes!