Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-28T07:55:05Z by OlgaLind
OlgaLind
OlgaLind
34 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic What is semantic stage and why to use it?

‏2012-11-30T10:37:28Z |
Hi,

I have some general question about the semantic stage of a pipeline configuration. Why and when to use the semantic stage? What kind of help/improvement it can provide to an ICAs model? Where can I obtain ontologies? Do I need to create them by myself, so to know OWL and etc.?

Sorry for such a wide scope of questions, but there is little information in Help topics and I'm totally unfamiliar with the subject.

thanks
Updated on 2012-12-28T07:55:05Z at 2012-12-28T07:55:05Z by OlgaLind
  • OlgaLind
    OlgaLind
    34 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: What is semantic stage and why to use it?

‏2012-12-20T07:50:51Z  in response to OlgaLind
    Update:
    I've managed to inbuild the demo semantic dictionary (lotusphere.sem) and added the semantic stage to my annotator, but it does nothing. There are three output types created: Concept, InferredConcept and Relation, but correspondent annotations do not appear. Probably, my test files do not fit this dictionary?
    Does somebody know, how to configure the semantic stage properly?
    • OlgaLind
      OlgaLind
      34 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-20T07:56:15Z  in response to OlgaLind
      And one more question: do RDF/OWL ontologies work with any other IBM product (beyond LanguageWare and IBM Content Analytics studio)?

thanks
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      197 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-26T02:29:24Z  in response to OlgaLind
      The purpose of the Semantic Analysis stage is to find connections between the annotations identified in the document.

You need to configure mappings between semantic types/links and UIMA types/features. For more information, check out the context help of semantic stage.
      • OlgaLind
        OlgaLind
        34 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-28T07:55:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Thank you for the reply.

I've read everything I could find in Help topics and LanguageWare/Content Analytics Studio forums, but still am not sure that I do everything correctly.

Here is what I've done:
        1) embedded demo semantic dictionary (lotusphere.sem) in my project, just for testing the semantic stage
        2) added semantic stage to my annotator, set there a link to the semantic dictionary
        3) set Semantic Types by specifying my correspondent UIMA Types
        4) got some com.ibm.lanware.semantic.Concept annotations
        5) tried to set Sematic Links by specifying features of UIMA types set
        6) nothing appeared in "Select UIMA Features" dialog box, though UIMA Types specified contain features for sure
        I'm stuck right there now. I suppose that my next action should be specifying UIMA Features of UIMA Types selected, otherwise I can't get neither com.ibm.lanware.semantic.InferredConcept, nor com.ibm.lanware.semantic.Relation annotations.