Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-03T22:33:58Z by llandale
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3180 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to run a dxl file which will diaplay a DOORS dialog through cmd prompt?

‏2012-11-30T10:23:28Z |
When running normal dxl files it is working by giving DOORSPAth\doors.exe -batch filepath -u username -P password

but when I am using the same method to run a dxl file which will diaplay a DOORS dialog this is not working

can anyone please help in this??
Updated on 2012-12-03T22:33:58Z at 2012-12-03T22:33:58Z by llandale
  • Peter_Albert
    Peter_Albert
    250 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to run a dxl file which will diaplay a DOORS dialog through cmd prompt?

‏2012-11-30T15:27:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin

You have to use the "-dxl" command line switch instead, followed by either the DXL commands to be executed, or an "#include<dxl file>" string (see "command line switches" in the DOORS help).

Note that if you want your dialogue box to be able to close the DOORS session, then you can use the "exit_" perm. The following is a simple example with a dialogue box, featuring one button to end DOORS

"C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\DOORS\9.3\bin\doors.exe" -u username -P password -dxl "void exitCallBack(DB db){exit_};DB db=create \"test\";apply(db,\"Exit\",exitCallBack);show db"

Regards,

Peter

Updated on 2014-01-06T14:23:47Z at 2014-01-06T14:23:47Z by iron-man
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T06:23:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello Peter,

Thanks for your reply I tried it is working....
    But it is creating a new instance of DOORS everytime when i am running it. Is there any option to avoid that? opening the dialog with out opening the DOORS again?

another problem is by giving file name using #include is not working for me what i tried is

D:\>D:\DOORS_SERVER\bin\doors.exe -u username -P password -dxl "#include<D:\\D
    OORS_Scripts\\Manage_usr_grp.dxl>"

but it is showing the error "badly formed token()" do u have any idea?
    • Peter_Albert
      Peter_Albert
      250 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T08:06:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      You didn't say a lot about what exactly you want to achieve when writing your original post. From the fact that you were invoking a batch file I guessed that you were asking for exactly this: starting a new DOORS session and automatically running a script, but this time with a dialogue box. Anyhow, there are two main options for invoking dialogue boxes (any DXL scripts, actually) during a DOORS session. For rarely used on-demand scripts, you can open the DXL editor and #include your file there (note that you missed the space character between '#include' and '<...>'), or you create you own user entries in the database explorer and / or module windows. "C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\DOORS\9.3\lib\dxl\addins\user" is a good place to start, you should read the "The DXL Library and Addins menus" in the DXL help before.

If you don't have write access there, use a different location and store the files there. The DXL help tells you to modify the registry in order to make DOORS aware of these files, but you can also use the "-addins" command line switch when starting DOORS.

Regards,

Peter
  • llandale
    llandale
    2735 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T22:33:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Perhaps you are wanting to either double-click on a file on your desktop or a link in some web-page, and send a script to an existing (visible) DOORS client and run it. You'll need to use Visual Basic to get a "handle" on the existing DOORS application and talk to it. I'm going to have to let other folks explain that.

-Louie