Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-05T09:21:59Z by OlgaLind
OlgaLind
OlgaLind
34 Posts

Pinned topic How do I use Annotations By POS Tagger Classification?

‏2012-11-30T10:07:23Z |
Hi everybody,

It can be noticed that besides "Annotations by Part Of Speech" there are "Annotations By POS Tagger Classification" available in the ICAs tabs (please see the attachment). And I am a little bit confused with these last ones, because it seems to be impossible to use them anywhere. When we match criteria of a Token, we have only "Annotations by Part Of Speech" to choose from. So my question is how do I apply "Annotations by POS Tagger Classification" to my ICAs model?

thanks,

Olga
Updated on 2012-12-05T09:21:59Z at 2012-12-05T09:21:59Z by OlgaLind
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts

Re: How do I use Annotations By POS Tagger Classification?

‏2012-12-03T11:16:03Z  
    The POS tagger classification gives you the disambiguated POS for a token based on its context.
    In the Rules creation pane, you will get the disambiguated POS, and you can change it if you want by right clicking and selection match criteria.

Can you please explain hat do you need to do exactly with these? This is just a different way of outlining the tokens of the document.
  • OlgaLind
    OlgaLind
    34 Posts

‏2012-12-04T06:24:20Z  
    The POS tagger classification gives you the disambiguated POS for a token based on its context.
    In the Rules creation pane, you will get the disambiguated POS, and you can change it if you want by right clicking and selection match criteria.

Can you please explain hat do you need to do exactly with these? This is just a different way of outlining the tokens of the document.
    Thank you for reply.

It looks like the POS Tagger not only solves the disambiguation issue, but provides an extended POS classification, at least for English. Consider 16 POS types available at "Annotations by POS" tab and 42 POS types available at "POS Tagger" tab. Thus, POS Tagger has extended possibilities in matching criteria for a token. For example, I can point that my token is a verb in 3d form or is a past participle (if you look at the screenshot in my previous post, you'll see these types are available). But, unfortunately, nothing of this is available when selecting match criteria in edit window (I've attached a screenshot to this post). So, my question is, how do I point that my token is a past participle or a 3d-form verb or whatever is available in POS Tagger? Do I do something wrong?

thanks,
    Olga
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts

‏2012-12-04T15:01:05Z  
    • OlgaLind
    • ‏2012-12-04T06:24:20Z
    Thank you for reply.

It looks like the POS Tagger not only solves the disambiguation issue, but provides an extended POS classification, at least for English. Consider 16 POS types available at "Annotations by POS" tab and 42 POS types available at "POS Tagger" tab. Thus, POS Tagger has extended possibilities in matching criteria for a token. For example, I can point that my token is a verb in 3d form or is a past participle (if you look at the screenshot in my previous post, you'll see these types are available). But, unfortunately, nothing of this is available when selecting match criteria in edit window (I've attached a screenshot to this post). So, my question is, how do I point that my token is a past participle or a 3d-form verb or whatever is available in POS Tagger? Do I do something wrong?

thanks,
    Olga
    I understand your point, these features are not available in the UI. We are using a simplified tagging set which doesn't support the grammatical features of the surface forms. This is due to different reasons such as avoiding complexity and cluttering of the UI, and the difference between how different languages support these features, etc..

Hope this helps.
  • OlgaLind
    OlgaLind
    34 Posts

‏2012-12-05T09:21:59Z  
    I understand your point, these features are not available in the UI. We are using a simplified tagging set which doesn't support the grammatical features of the surface forms. This is due to different reasons such as avoiding complexity and cluttering of the UI, and the difference between how different languages support these features, etc..

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your reply.

Sometimes it is strongly needed to use such ability as pointing a past participle or whatever.
    I thought, probably, some custom UIMA annotators might use the POS Tagger classification, I'll try to search for one.