Topic
13 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-14T21:33:27Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Auto claim and open next unclaimed task of same activity?

‏2012-11-30T04:49:26Z |
We have a two step BPD. Task 1 belongs to role A and Task 2 belongs to role B. Task 1 leads to Task 2.

Role A users want that when they close Task 1 then system should automatically claim next unclaimed Task 1 for that particular user and present this new task to this user, without this user having to go back to task list and do a claim. They just want system to automatically present next unclaimed task in front of them. Its a very faced paced SLA for this user group.

Any ideas and techniques to do this.

Ashish Aggarwal
BPM Architect
Updated on 2012-12-14T21:33:27Z at 2012-12-14T21:33:27Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Auto claim and open next unclaimed task of same activity?

‏2012-12-01T04:46:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Will really appreciate any feedback on this question.

Ashish
    • jmac_EmeriCon
      jmac_EmeriCon
      273 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-01T14:37:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      You need to develop what I typically refer to as a "push client". I've not written or seen one developed for the new (IBPM/WLE) workflow engine, but I have developed them for all the older IBM workflow systems, and believe it should be possible. Essentially you will be replacing the Portal with your own application. If I recall correctly there was an old Redbook that described the technique for either MQ WorkFlow or FlowMark; obviously the code would be vastly different, but the concept should be identical, and it will describe the potential issues.

GOOD LUCK

John

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T21:28:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      There are several solutions for this on the community wiki, but all of them seem to have beeen created before the JS and REST APIs, and are likely not the ideal solution for you. That being said, take a look at -
      http://bpmwiki.blueworkslive.com/display/commwiki/Auto-flow+to+Next+Task+%28Community%29

I can see a path to doing this with the available APIs, but the suggestion below is pure theory. Doing this will depend on which version of the product you are using and which UI components you using.

Essentially what you want to do is the following -

1. Submit the current UI.
      2. Execute the inbox search for the user.
      3. Redirect the user's browser to the URL for the task.

The first is easy. You are probably already doing that. Where it gets a bit hairy is in doing the next steps. First thing I would check is - can you successfuly submit a task and, also have the browser open a new window (or the same window) to an arbitrary URL. That is going to be the biggest hurtle. If you can do that then you simply create a task that executes the user's inbox search and pull the first task from that search. It should then simply have a coach that does a redirect to the URL for that task.

Now, there can be some problems for this, in that if 2 users are in the same group and both have the same task as thier "next" task, one of them is going to lose on attempting to claim it (assuing they both end their previous task close in synch with each other).

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
  • ewayne
    ewayne
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-12T16:53:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    IBM BPM 8.0 includes a feature sometimes called "Auto Flow to next task." See this page for documentation:
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0m1/topic/com.ibm.wbpm.wle.editor.doc/modeling/topic/autoflowtonexttask.html

Ashish, this sounds exactly what you are looking for. Please advise/confirm.

Thanks,
    Eric Wayne
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T05:39:08Z  in response to ewayne
      Hi Eric, Thanks for your reply. Actually the solution you are suggesting is for taking the same user to the next activity in the process.

What I am looking for is a way to take the user to the next task of the same activity of the process. Makes sense? Here is an example..

There is a two step Hiring Requisition process. Two activities / tasks of the BPD are
      - "Submit Hiring Form". Participant Group is Hiring Managers.
      - "Approve Hiring Form". Participant Group is General Managers.

Now imagine there are 10 process instances being initiated of this process. All the users of Hiring Manager group see 10 unclaimed tasks of "Submit Hiring Form" in their Task List. HRUSER1, who is a member of Hiring Managers group, claims 1st task from his Task list and starts working on the task.

What we are looking for is that when HRUSER1 completes working on 1st task and hits "Send for Approval" button on Coach then system should automatically claim the next unclaimed task of type "Submit Hiring Form". What we want to do is to avoid this user to go back to his / her task list and claim the next "Submit Hiring Form" task.

Please let me know if this clarifies the problem statement.

Thank you
      Ashish
      • kolban
        kolban
        3314 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T16:43:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I don't believe there is a way to achieve that with IBM BPM Process Portal. The only way I can immediately consider being able to achieve that would be to write one's own custom process portal.

Neil
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T18:37:29Z  in response to kolban
          Neil, I am hoping that I can do "something" at the end of my Human Service for "Submit Form" that would enable me to achieve the desired result. I dont think that it really is a Process Portal issue.

Ashish
          • jmac_EmeriCon
            jmac_EmeriCon
            273 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T18:52:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Ashish:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

This is what I am hearing.

I have a process P1, which has a Task T1 (among others). I have a user or group of users who are eligible to work on Task T1 for any instance of P1. What your last note suggests is that you want he Human Service associated with T1 for instance n of P1 to immediatly grab the next available T1 for some instance other than n of P1.

I do not see how this is possible.

I am still back on the point that you need to write some type of a "push" client to do this.

Regards

John

_______________________________________________________________________

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
          • kolban
            kolban
            3314 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-13T18:56:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            The way I see it is that a BPD process creates tasks and those tasks are implemented by Human Services. When a Human Service completes, that is the end of the "single interaction" between the user and the processes ... the user then goes back to the task list and picks another.

At least ... that was/is the simplest story.

Looking at the new "flow" capabilities, we seem to see that when we define a task as "automatically flow to the next task" somehow the system knows to wait for a next task to come along (I see it defines a timeout too). However, there doesn't appear to be any logic / capability for the system to "auto choose" the next task not associated with the same process instance.

So if we look at the capabilities that are available to us, we see that we have to have some "conspiracy" between the client (i.e. the Process Portal web page logic) and the server (i.e. the tasks and Human Services). When a Human Service is completed by the client, somewhere some logic has to execute to perform the equivalent of "Look through the list of tasks for a user and pick the next one to execute. Claim that task and present the Human Service coaches to the user". That logic appears to be easily achievable in custom client ... but I'm not yet seeing how we can achieve it with what we have today without a custom client.

Neil
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              7615 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-14T06:20:16Z  in response to kolban
              John and Neil, Both of you have understood the problem statement.

I am convinced that this is potentially a feature request in BPM. This feature could be very useful for processes where some tasks require a super quick turn around time and users doesn't need to apply any logic to selectively choose tasks from task list.

I guess I will work with IBM sales team to present this as a feature enhancement request. In the meanwhile I will keep looking for any possible way I can achieve this using the current Coach / Services / UCA framework and combination of these.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.
              Ashish
              • kolban
                kolban
                3314 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-14T16:39:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                IBM makes available a Request for Enhancements web site ... see:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/

This is where you would start by logging the description of what you want in a future release.

Without giving it a whole lot of thought ...

I could imagine a description of a "Service" which you would implement that, when called, chooses the next task to show to the user. This Service would be automatically called at the conclusion of a previous Human Service ... again ... just mumbling out loud :-)

Neil
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  7615 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-14T17:27:13Z  in response to kolban
                  Thanks Neil for sharing your thoughts.

Where I am getting stuck is with the idea of invoking this "Service" before the end of my Human Service repeatedly and also sending current instance to next task. Not sure if that is even possible. Anyways I will start with raising the enhancement request.

Thanks for your help.
                  Ashish
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    7615 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-14T21:33:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Ashish -

As we have confirmed there isn't an OOTB way to make this work, but I'm trying to understand if the solution I proposed to you is somehow a problem. The biggest problem is the race condition between 2 users if they have the same task at the top of their list, but other than that it should work for you.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com