Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-29T19:27:17Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6902 Posts

Pinned topic 9110-51A Box Contents

‏2012-11-29T14:07:01Z |
Hey all, I apologize for my ignorance, but I have Googled and researched this to no end. I'm hoping you can help.

I recently purchased a new-in-box 9110-51A from eBay. It was a lab machine, but was never unboxed or used. I want to learn, so instead of shelling out the cash for official IBM training, I decided to buy an older server and do it hands-on.

The problem: There are no OS CDs to be found in the box. When I enter the Serial Number in the Capacity On-Demand site (http://www-912.ibm.com/pod/pod), I get only a CUoD Processor Activation Code. I do not get a CUoD Memory Activation Code, nor a Virtualization Technology Code.

My fear is that I purchased a hardware-only configuration, somehow. Is there a chance that this machine is a Zero-priced config? If so, how would I know? Also, would this mean that AIX or Linux is preinstalled, with no virtualization possible?

Thank you.
Updated on 2012-11-29T19:27:17Z at 2012-11-29T19:27:17Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

Re: 9110-51A Box Contents

‏2012-11-29T14:46:26Z  
    Have you tried to turn it on? Mine also only has POD activation code when checked on from that link. You might not need to worry about memory activation code, but you may need VET (Virtualization Technology Code) for PowerVM if you want to install VIOS.
  • The_Doctor
    The_Doctor
    98 Posts

‏2012-11-29T14:50:05Z  
    Suggest you read the redbook / redpaper on the Model 510.... it'll answer most every question you have.

Link: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp4136.html?Open

With respect to your Virtualization question, AFAIK:
    • you'll need a VET code (if you want Virtualization), to run VIO on a Model 510, regardless of what is pre-installed.
    • with no VET code, you are stuck with full system partition mode. aka.... no VIO, & all machine resources (processors, memory, adapters, etc) are assigned to the 1 (and only 1) partition.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2012-11-29T14:59:39Z  
    Have you tried to turn it on? Mine also only has POD activation code when checked on from that link. You might not need to worry about memory activation code, but you may need VET (Virtualization Technology Code) for PowerVM if you want to install VIOS.
    Thank you for the reply!

I just received it last night and haven't had time to turn it on. I will go through the Quick Start Guide and see. Can they come with the OS pre-installed? There are no OS CDs in the box.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2012-11-29T15:02:27Z  
    Suggest you read the redbook / redpaper on the Model 510.... it'll answer most every question you have.

Link: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp4136.html?Open

With respect to your Virtualization question, AFAIK:
    • you'll need a VET code (if you want Virtualization), to run VIO on a Model 510, regardless of what is pre-installed.
    • with no VET code, you are stuck with full system partition mode. aka.... no VIO, & all machine resources (processors, memory, adapters, etc) are assigned to the 1 (and only 1) partition.
    Thanks Doc. I have looked at the Technical Overview and Introduction, but cannot find a specific answer. I will dig deeper and see what I can find. Thanks everyone, for all of your help!
  • The_Doctor
    The_Doctor
    98 Posts

‏2012-11-29T17:27:11Z  
    Thank you for the reply!

I just received it last night and haven't had time to turn it on. I will go through the Quick Start Guide and see. Can they come with the OS pre-installed? There are no OS CDs in the box.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the OS questions:

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2012-11-29T19:27:17Z  
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the OS questions:

AIX was unbundled from the hardware starting with POWER5 (like this box). That means that sale of the hardware does not include AIX. You would need to purchase AIX from IBM or a business partner - it's not included with the box.
    With regard to PowerVM. If PowerVM Standard or Enterprise Edition wasn't every purchased for the box, then you can only run Dedicated processor partitions and you cannot run the VIOS. You could have multiple Dedicated processor partitions, but each partition would need dedicated I/O (network, storage).
    Jay