Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-09T20:02:14Z by kbmurphy
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1299 Posts

Pinned topic Possible to only publish data if a particular DOORS view exists?

‏2012-11-29T04:26:16Z |
Hello,
I have a specification with several templates in it. Each template exports a different predefined view from the same module. What I would like to know is if there is a way to set it up where if the view a template is seeking does not exist in the module, that template does not publish any data to the output document.
Is this possible?
Thanks!
-Bob3
Updated on 2012-12-09T20:02:14Z at 2012-12-09T20:02:14Z by kbmurphy
  • ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

Re: Possible to only publish data if a particular DOORS view exists?

‏2012-11-29T22:28:18Z  
    Hi
    I though that is a view specified in the spec did not exist, then the template uses the standard view i think

If this is not the case then i would try the following:
    in the data source, there is a entry for
    View (DOOSView)
    Name

So at eh top of you template create a container the queries this value. If its set to the name of the view you are expecting then continue, otherwise do nothing

Think that should work although i havent tried it
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    97 Posts

‏2012-11-29T23:58:22Z  
    Hi
    I though that is a view specified in the spec did not exist, then the template uses the standard view i think

If this is not the case then i would try the following:
    in the data source, there is a entry for
    View (DOOSView)
    Name

So at eh top of you template create a container the queries this value. If its set to the name of the view you are expecting then continue, otherwise do nothing

Think that should work although i havent tried it
    I can almost guarantee you that your method will fail, Chris.

The name of the view is provided by the .dsx file (though in this case it sounds as if it's hardcoded into the template itself). RPE will report on that view name no matter what, whether the standard view or the actual view is used--it will always report out the name as the view name it was given, not what was actually used.

One of my clients had a document go out that was marked with a view called "External" but it had internal items on it precisely because of this problem. The document said the view used was the "External" view but there was a small, hard to detect typo, and the document contained the standard view instead.

I immediately contacted IBM and entered an SR and escalated it as well. IBM is aware of this issue and apparently it would involve changing one of the fundamental aspects of the RPE DOORS driver and so changing it apparently isn't such a simple matter.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2012-11-30T06:26:35Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2012-11-29T23:58:22Z
    I can almost guarantee you that your method will fail, Chris.

The name of the view is provided by the .dsx file (though in this case it sounds as if it's hardcoded into the template itself). RPE will report on that view name no matter what, whether the standard view or the actual view is used--it will always report out the name as the view name it was given, not what was actually used.

One of my clients had a document go out that was marked with a view called "External" but it had internal items on it precisely because of this problem. The document said the view used was the "External" view but there was a small, hard to detect typo, and the document contained the standard view instead.

I immediately contacted IBM and entered an SR and escalated it as well. IBM is aware of this issue and apparently it would involve changing one of the fundamental aspects of the RPE DOORS driver and so changing it apparently isn't such a simple matter.
    Thanks for both of your responses, ChrisHardy68 and kbmurphy!

To try to distill my question a bit... do you guys think it's possible to only publish a view if it exists? Another way to state the question is, is there a way to programmatically detect that the Standard View is being exported?

Thanks again!
  • ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2012-12-04T00:52:42Z  
    Hi Guys,
    Kevin, thanks for the info - it made me sad especially since the console window reports back that it cant find the named view so its going to use "Standard View" instead.
    Still puzzled about the implementation of named view to data source, rather than data source being a module, with the view selectable as an attribute in the template, but that another discussion.

So...
    Bob, I have another idea, which is clunky but may work around the issue.
    In DOORS:
    When you define the view that you want (lets call this view "MyView"), name one of the columns in this view in a specific way.
    For example if you use the ID Column call it "#ID#"
    So in any module which has the view "MyView" there will be a column named "#ID#, which is part of that view.

In RPE:
    At the top of the template inside a containers for the whole module, set up a series of contains that for the view search for a column called "#ID#". If a column with this name is found, set an internal variable to "True".

You can then use this variable as a check to see if you want to print the contents of the module out or not.

You may want to do a clean up of the column header to turn it back from "#ID#" to say "ID" in the printed doc but that should be fairly straight forward.

Not the nicest fix in the world but it should get you to where you need to be.

Does that help?
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1617 Posts

‏2012-12-04T15:55:02Z  
    Hey all,

the cleanest solution would be for RPE to report both the name of the view specified by the user and the one that is actually used. Please create an RFE for this.

As a workaround for this, in addition to the ones already suggested, you can use the following UNDOCUMENTED and UNSUPPORTED feature of RPE. No support is provided for using it or issues caused by its usage.

The solution consists in adding a special attribute in the DOORS schema which gets translated by RPE into Layout DXL at runtime. This attribute gives the name of the current view. This is not extremely efficient since the view name is going to be exported for each object in the module and and this results in more memory being used and more time need for docgen.

The implementation of this requires changes to the schema and this can result in damaging the report templates. Make sure you create backup copies of your templates before trying this.

What to do:

1. backup your template
    2. open your template and select "Edit in schema editor" for your DOORS data source.
    3. go to the "DOORSAttribute" type and append this at the end of the attribute list.

<attribute name=
    "currentView" type=
    "string"> <annotation> <appinfo source=
    "#Description"> <label>Current View</label> <elevation elem_query=
    "dxl" elem_value=
    "_value"> <clause attribute=
    "name">currentView</clause> <clause attribute=
    "dxlcode">displayRich( currentView( current Module))</clause> </elevation> </appinfo> </annotation> </attribute>

4. save the schema and then the template

Alternatively you can use the DOORS schema attached to this post. This is the modified DOORS schema that ships with RPE 1.1.2.2.

What the above does is to create a DXL Column in the temporary view that RPE creates when exporting data from DOORS. This is why the displayRich is required. The annotation and clauses are just the way of telling RPE that it has to do that. The dxlcode clause can contain any valid DXL code that creates layout DXL as long as its valid XML (if it contains < or & those characters need to be escaped).

Once again note this is an UNDOCUMENTED and UNSUPPORTED feature of RPE. No support is provided for using it or issues caused by its usage.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2012-12-04T21:06:44Z  
    Hey all,

the cleanest solution would be for RPE to report both the name of the view specified by the user and the one that is actually used. Please create an RFE for this.

As a workaround for this, in addition to the ones already suggested, you can use the following UNDOCUMENTED and UNSUPPORTED feature of RPE. No support is provided for using it or issues caused by its usage.

The solution consists in adding a special attribute in the DOORS schema which gets translated by RPE into Layout DXL at runtime. This attribute gives the name of the current view. This is not extremely efficient since the view name is going to be exported for each object in the module and and this results in more memory being used and more time need for docgen.

The implementation of this requires changes to the schema and this can result in damaging the report templates. Make sure you create backup copies of your templates before trying this.

What to do:

1. backup your template
    2. open your template and select "Edit in schema editor" for your DOORS data source.
    3. go to the "DOORSAttribute" type and append this at the end of the attribute list.

<pre class="jive-pre"> <attribute name= "currentView" type= "string"> <annotation> <appinfo source= "#Description"> <label>Current View</label> <elevation elem_query= "dxl" elem_value= "_value"> <clause attribute= "name">currentView</clause> <clause attribute= "dxlcode">displayRich( currentView( current Module))</clause> </elevation> </appinfo> </annotation> </attribute> </pre>

4. save the schema and then the template

Alternatively you can use the DOORS schema attached to this post. This is the modified DOORS schema that ships with RPE 1.1.2.2.

What the above does is to create a DXL Column in the temporary view that RPE creates when exporting data from DOORS. This is why the displayRich is required. The annotation and clauses are just the way of telling RPE that it has to do that. The dxlcode clause can contain any valid DXL code that creates layout DXL as long as its valid XML (if it contains < or & those characters need to be escaped).

Once again note this is an UNDOCUMENTED and UNSUPPORTED feature of RPE. No support is provided for using it or issues caused by its usage.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Thanks for your great ideas guys!!

An approach I developed to solving the problem was to have a preliminary query at the beginning of the template that queried the DOORS "Module/View." I applied a data assignment to store the name of the current view into an RPE variable ViewName. Then I placed a condition on the entire remainder of the template where it only publishes if the value of ViewName is equal to a certain view name. If not, nothing publishes and RPE moves on to the next template!

RPE is great because there are usually several ways to solve a problem!

Thanks again everyone.
    -Bob3
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    97 Posts

‏2012-12-09T20:02:14Z  
    Thanks for your great ideas guys!!

An approach I developed to solving the problem was to have a preliminary query at the beginning of the template that queried the DOORS "Module/View." I applied a data assignment to store the name of the current view into an RPE variable ViewName. Then I placed a condition on the entire remainder of the template where it only publishes if the value of ViewName is equal to a certain view name. If not, nothing publishes and RPE moves on to the next template!

RPE is great because there are usually several ways to solve a problem!

Thanks again everyone.
    -Bob3
    FYI, I opened an RFE for this last March. The RFE number is 19942. Please upvote it!