8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-29T19:56:48Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9111 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Upgrading x3650M4

‏2012-11-28T21:35:30Z |
Hi guys,

Can you please explain the best way of upgrading firmware on these devices?

I have come from an HP background where we could run the HP Update CD and it would scan the machine and update any firmware. Does IBM have something like this? Where can I get it?

The servers run VMWare 5.0

Thanks
Updated on 2012-11-29T19:56:48Z at 2012-11-29T19:56:48Z by SystemAdmin
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Upgrading x3650M4

‏2012-11-28T22:59:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The best way is to create an custom ISO using the Bootable Media Creator based on the machine type. You can then boot to the ISO via remote media on the IMM or burn it to a CD and boot to it that way.

The Bootable Media Creator has several options in the creation process which allows you to customize which updates are included by server model and how it is launched (with a GUI, command line, automatically, etc.)

IBM Bootable Media Creator (BoMC)
    http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-BOMC
    Since you're running vSphere 5, highly recommend you use the IBM customized vSphere installer when deploying the OS. If you use the VMware native vSphere installer you will not be installing the correct drivers for IBM specific hardware devices like the IMM or other mainboard components, and the right CIM providers for hardware monitoring.

VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) with IBM Customization
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/esxi/index.html
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      9111 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T01:19:30Z  in response to DaveQ
      Thanks. Good information.

So I bought VMWare 5.0 IBM USB keys. I am currently using these on my system. Nothing is in production.

So I could build a custom image out of the newer IBM VMWare 5.1 downloadable iso then specific for my machine and load it on to the USB key?
      • DaveQ
        DaveQ
        132 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T01:46:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You can start off with the 5.0 USB key and just use the 5.1 IBM customized installer (ISO) to update it in-place. Essentially it's just like any other vSphere upgrade, except you need to use the IBM customized installer to ensure you keep the hardware specific drivers. Security patches and other updates from VMware are unrelated, you apply those directly from VMware. Two ways you can do it:

1. Mount the 5.1 IBM customized installer via IMM remote media, and follow the vSphere prompts to perform the update.

2. Use vSphere Update Manager via vCenter, in which you define an upgrade task using the 5.1 IBM customized installer ISO image.

You will need to use the IMM remote console for both methods, all vSphere installers require console interaction when doing a host upgrade, the difference is just in the delivery. I use Update Manager since it's easier managing multiple host updates. The only interaction needed is to accept the license agreement, confirm the update, etc.

Both accomplish the same task, updating the existing install on the USB key.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          9111 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T03:00:11Z  in response to DaveQ
          I initially tried this using a bootable 5.1 cd, but the upgrade bombed out saying VIM is claimed by something else. I need to get the full error. Any ideas? Currently installing vCenter and update manager.
          • DaveQ
            DaveQ
            132 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T03:42:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Haven't run into any error like that.

Depending on your familiarity with vSphere/vCenter, make sure the vCenter and Update Manager instances are at 5.1 before updating the hosts, pre-requisite.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              9111 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T04:19:42Z  in response to DaveQ
              That will be it.

Sorry, could you give me step by step instructions on how to go about creating a custom vmware image specific to my server? I thought the IBM VMWare Image was the correct one? I believe this is what comes on the USB sticks as well provided by IBM.
              • DaveQ
                DaveQ
                132 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T04:48:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                There is only one IBM customized vSphere image, per version (4.x, 5.x). It's not server model specific. What is on the vSphere IBM customized image page is applicable to any IBM server.

If you mean the bootable image for updating the firmware, that's different using the BoMC, but not what you meant (I think). The BoMC is fairly intuitive with the GUI for making server model specific images.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  9111 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T19:56:48Z  in response to DaveQ
                  Got it all sorted. vCenter would not update the 5.0 USB sticks using update manager. Even booting off cd to do a in place upgrade would not work. Because they weren't production I just installed over the top of them.

All good. Cheers :)