Topic
21 replies Latest Post - ‏2015-01-22T14:44:27Z by camporesi
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
37422 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to ignore WS-Addressing Headers in WebService Response - JAX-WS client

‏2012-11-28T16:52:00Z |
Is there a way I can instruct my JAX-WS web service client to ignore WS-Addressing header elements present in web service response?

My Environment:
JAX-WS web service client - deployed to WAS 7.0.0.9
JAX-WS Web service client - uses thin client com.ibm.jaxws.thinclient_7.0.0.jar
The web service (hosted on oracle soa suite) is sending WS-Addressing headers in the response. The header elements present in the web service response are ( <wsa:MessageID> and <wsa:ReplyTo> )
My JAX-WS web service client throws the following exception when it receives the web servcie response:

Exception in thread "P=991633:O=0:CT" javax.xml.ws.WebServiceException: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: A required header representing a Message Addressing Property is not present
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.ExceptionFactory.createWebServiceException(ExceptionFactory.java:175)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.ExceptionFactory.makeWebServiceException(ExceptionFactory.java:70)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.ExceptionFactory.makeWebServiceException(ExceptionFactory.java:128)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.core.controller.impl.AxisInvocationController.execute(AxisInvocationController.java:572)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.core.controller.impl.AxisInvocationController.doInvoke(AxisInvocationController.java:123)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.core.controller.impl.InvocationControllerImpl.invoke(InvocationControllerImpl.java:93)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.invokeSEIMethod(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:338)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.invoke(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:159)
at $Proxy28.process(Unknown Source)
at TestBOD.main(TestBOD.java:58)
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: A required header representing a Message Addressing Property is not present
at org.apache.axis2.addressing.AddressingFaultsHelper.triggerAddressingFault(AddressingFaultsHelper.java:373)
at org.apache.axis2.addressing.AddressingFaultsHelper.triggerMessageAddressingRequiredFault(AddressingFaultsHelper.java:299)
at org.apache.axis2.handlers.addressing.AddressingInHandler.checkForMandatoryHeaders(AddressingInHandler.java:289)
at org.apache.axis2.handlers.addressing.AddressingInHandler.extractAddressingInformation(AddressingInHandler.java:274)
at org.apache.axis2.handlers.addressing.AddressingInHandler.invoke(AddressingInHandler.java:153)
at org.apache.axis2.engine.Phase.invoke(Phase.java:318)
at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.invoke(AxisEngine.java:268)
at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:175)
at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(OutInAxisOperation.java:363)
at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:416)
at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.executeImpl(OutInAxisOperation.java:228)
at org.apache.axis2.client.OperationClient.execute(OperationClient.java:163)
at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.core.controller.impl.AxisInvocationController.execute(AxisInvocationController.java:567)

My further investigation tells me that JAX-WS runtime is looking for <wsa:action> WS-Addressing header element in the web service response, as the web service response does not contain <wsa:action> element its throwing the above exception.

I tried to disable WS-Addressing on my web service client with ( AddressingFeature , SubmissionAddressingFeature ) as discussed in the below urls but it seems to have no effect.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.nd.doc%2Finfo%2Fae%2Fae%2Ftwbs_wsa_disable.html
http://jax-ws.java.net/2.2.1/docs/wsaddressing.html#On_the_client_side

I tried both ways i.e.programmatically on the client code as well as specifying annotation @Addressing, @SubmissionAddressing on the client end point.

I'm not sure if <wsa:action> WS-Addressing header is a must header to be present in the web service response but being a consumer of the web service I don't have much control on the web service . But if <wsa:action> is a must header element then i'll have to initiate a discussion with web service hosting group.

So essentially I'm looking for a way to instruct my web service client to ignore WS-Addressing headers present in the web service response. Any better alternatives are most welcome.

Please guide me on resolving this issue.

Thank you for your suggestions and time.

Regards
Updated on 2013-01-03T21:49:22Z at 2013-01-03T21:49:22Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to ignore WS-Addressing Headers in WebService Response - JAX-WS client

‏2012-11-29T18:05:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Can anyone help me on this please?
    • camporesi
      camporesi
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2015-01-22T14:44:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Did you find any solution ?

I'm facing the same problem just now.

Thanks

• JimKnutson
    JimKnutson
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T23:46:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I would recommend opening a PMR with IBM service to determine what the proper course of action is.

It would probably be good to look at both the request and response messages. If configured properly (policy sets appropriately configured on the client), then you should see WS-Addressing headers on both the request and the response and the required headers (yes Action is one of them) should be present.

Jim Knutson
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      37422 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-30T18:45:23Z  in response to JimKnutson
      Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll have to do that.

Going back to the procedure discussed in the below link
      http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.nd.doc%2Finfo%2Fae%2Fae%2Ftwbs_wsa_disable.html

If you look at the results of this procedure:
      Results
      By completing this task, you disabled the WS-Addressing support. Disabling WS-Addressing on clients prevents WebSphere® Application Server sending WS-Addressing message addressing properties in the SOAP header of outbound Web service messages. Disabling WS-Addressing on servers additionally prevents WebSphere Application Server processing WS-Addressing MAPs in incoming SOAP headers.

The results section does not talk anything about processing WS-Addressing MAPs in incoming SOAP headers on the service client side when WS-Addressing is disabled on clients.

Can anyone throw more light on this please?

Thank you for your time & suggestions.

Regards
      • bpaskin
        bpaskin
        3831 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-04T13:52:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi, Are you overriding the built in IBM Web Services engine and using native AXIS2?

Regards,
        Brian
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          37422 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T16:21:41Z  in response to bpaskin
          Hey shashir. Were you able to resolve your problem? I believe I am experiencing this exact same problem and am looking for a resolution.
          • bpaskin
            bpaskin
            3831 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T16:44:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Nick, which version of WAS are you using including Fixpak and are you using the build in web services engine or did you include the AXIS2 engine?

Regards,
            Brian
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              37422 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T16:51:48Z  in response to bpaskin
              From the About section of the WAS Console

IBM WebSphere Application Server - ND, 7.0.0.23
              Build Number: cf231218.02
              Build Date: 4/30/12

If I understand your other question correctly, I am using the built in Web Services engine. I created my client using the tools in RAD to generate the client from a WSDL. I don't believe I have done anything directly with Axis2 engine or library.
              • bpaskin
                bpaskin
                3831 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T16:53:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Ok, Can you please post the full stack trace that you are receiving?

Regards,
                Brian
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  37422 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T17:05:01Z  in response to bpaskin
                  Attached is the stack trace. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to pull from the logs.

Thanks for the help.
                  • bpaskin
                    bpaskin
                    3831 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T17:17:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Hi, are you setting javax.xml.ws.soap.Addressing in your client code anywhere?

Brian
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      37422 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T17:24:39Z  in response to bpaskin
                      Nothing in my workspace references javax.xml.ws.soap.Addressing
                      • bpaskin
                        bpaskin
                        3831 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T17:31:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Hi, ok, I am going to deploy my example to that version of WAS and see what I get. By default the WS-Addressing on the client is disabled. You may want to look at this link http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.nd.doc%2Finfo%2Fae%2Fae%2Ftwbs_wsa_disable.html to see if it helps you. I'll post back after I test my application out.

Regards,
                        Brian
                        • bpaskin
                          bpaskin
                          3831 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T17:34:10Z  in response to bpaskin
                          I am also assuming that you did not set the policy to require the header.

Regards,
                          Brian
                          • bpaskin
                            bpaskin
                            3831 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T18:17:48Z  in response to bpaskin
                            Hi, I was able to get a simple Hello World example working. The client was automatically generated with the ws-addressing pieces. Change the policy set for the ws-addressing to not be required made the application worked correctly.

Regards,
                            Brian
                            • SystemAdmin
                              SystemAdmin
                              37422 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T20:41:37Z  in response to bpaskin
                              Hey Brian, I took a look at the InfoCenter link you mentioned. I haven't tried to programmatically disable WS-Addressing (that will be soon) but that page says by default WS-Addressing support is disabled by default so I'm not sure if this will fix. I will give it a try a none the less just to see.

You mentioned that could also be done through the policy set. I have tried a policy set that does not include WS-Addressing, a policy set where WS-Addressing is in a disabled state, and a policy set with WS-Addressing enabled but not mandatory. Do you have an example policy set that would accomplish what you're describing.

Thanks again for the help. I've been at this for a couple days now and do appreciate the second set of eyes checking my work.
                              • bpaskin
                                bpaskin
                                3831 Posts
                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T21:02:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                Hi,

If it is disabled and you are not using it then I cannot understand why it would not work. Please disable it in the application from the link referenced. You could also generate the client and change the WSDL to set the requirement to false (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.express.doc%2Finfo%2Fexp%2Fae%2Ftwbs_wsa_dep.html). If that does not work, I am afraid that tracing will need to be enabled to understand what is going in the web services engine. For that you probably want to talk with someone from the IBM Support Center in your country.

You may also want to try a very simple example like this one from JBoss, but it should work the same under WAS. The generation of the classes and WSDL can be done by right clicking the selecting web services from the menu. You may want to do this anyway just to see if there is something in your environment that may be blocking this from working correctly.
                                https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_Web_Platform/5/html/JBoss_WS_CXF_User_Guide/ch05.html

Regards,
                                Brian
                                • SystemAdmin
                                  SystemAdmin
                                  37422 Posts
                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T21:26:21Z  in response to bpaskin
                                  Hi,

I apologize for the delayed response.

I didn't find a way to handle this on WebSphere side (My web service client is deployed on WebSphere).

As as a temporary fix I asked the web service provider(deployed on Weblogic server) not to send any ws-addressing information in the soap response. But this is not a solution i'm looking at.

Brian:
                                  1) I'm using the default behavior so assuming I'm not overriding the built in IBM Web Services engine
                                  2) I'm curious on the 'simple Hello World example' test case you tried: Did your example ignore the ws-addressing headers present in the web service response?

Because I was able to stop generating the ws-addressing headers in the web service request (using policy sets or annotations) but didn't find a way to ignore the headers received in the web service response.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.
                                  • SystemAdmin
                                    SystemAdmin
                                    37422 Posts
                                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T21:37:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                    Hey Shashir,

I eventually opened a PMR about this problem and the response back from L3 support was there is no way to ignore the WS-Addressing headers using configuration. Disabling WS-Addressing on the client only prevents the headers from being sent on the request. If those headers come back on the response, WAS will process them and will expect them to conform to the spec.

We were left with these options

1) Get the service provider to stop sending any WS-Addressing headers.
                                    2) Get the service provider to send all the needed headers and start using WS-Addressing.
                                    3) Create a custom handler to intercept the message before WAS begins to process it and remove the problem-causing headers. I forget what kind of handler they mentioned.

Another option that someone else suggested to me was to treat the service provider as XML over HTTP and forget using a JAX-WS client. Needless to say both of cringed at that idea but it could do the trick if absolutely needed.

We were able to go with option 1 fortunately. I only hope you can get the same lucky break.
                                    • SystemAdmin
                                      SystemAdmin
                                      37422 Posts
                                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T21:49:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                      Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

My next option was to open a PMR but I got the answer from you at the right time.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm currently using option#1 as a temporary fix but this option would not allow us to realize certain ws-addressing use cases. ( though i'm not using any ws-addressing use cases in my application )

For my case (if possible and easy) I feel option#2 would be ideal as required ws-addressing headers are exchanged. Will keep you posted once option#2 is tried.

Thank you once again.
                                      • 55G2_Rajasekhar_Cherukuri
                                        1 Post
                                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-19T23:36:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi,

Did you achieve any success on this issue? I am also facing the same problem. The addressing was not mandated on WSDL and the Client i have is failing on the messaging headers in the response from Service.

Thanks.