5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-07T20:17:28Z by SystemAdmin
Ch3
Ch3
26 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Automatic Numbering in SA

‏2012-11-27T16:42:22Z |
Hi,

Has anyone had success in using the automatic numbering within System Architect? I've enabled it using the Preferences and I can get it to assign numbers to Process Steps but I cant seem to sort out how to do a few things (SA v11.4.2).

Numbering a process model based on sequence: Currently it’s numbering based on the order that the process steps are placed on the diagram. If the model is reorganized then the numbering becomes incorrect and I can’t find a way to reset or renumber the processes.

Using Level numbers: In a process hierarchy diagram I would have assumed there would be numbers based on what level the process is in the hierarchy. The numbers assigned are, again, based on sequence that the symbol is placed on the diagram.

The online help has no details on the numbering procedures. Any tips on how to sequence numbers and/or get the number hierarchy working correctly?

Cheers,
Updated on 2012-12-07T20:17:28Z at 2012-12-07T20:17:28Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1061 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Automatic Numbering in SA

‏2012-12-05T10:57:51Z  in response to Ch3
    With my humble opinion, I believe this is just one of many features which exist in SA yet does not provide the expected outcome.

I developed my own macro, which is triggered everytime you close a diagram, or manually triggered to sequentially number the symbols of a process diagram. It is based on an algorithm that treats the whole process as a tree and recursively traverse it.

I am wondering though why do you need the numbering for?? For me, I needed it for the publisher, where I can list the process sequence sorted by the ID
    • Ch3
      Ch3
      26 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-05T14:07:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I agree, with you, that this feature isn't fully baked into the product yet.

I'm looking to use process numbering to support the reporting sequence, much like yourself. One of my reports is a custom VBA which dumps a lot of process related information, including process sequence, into a word document.

I considered using a macro to traverse a process tree, at report time, but in the end landed on a symbol property. The advantage of the symbol property is that it allows us to define the main and alternate flows using the field and report them both in order.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1061 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-05T20:11:11Z  in response to Ch3
        Ch3 - We didnt use the autonumber. We manually put the number within the name property of the activity (e.g., A411 Manage XYZ Activity). This makes it easier to navigate among the activities when in the object explorer. Though, a macro could be used to do this as suggested above.

For alternate flows, we put a "sequence #" property for the Activity Symbol (not Definition) in the diagram. This helps us use the same activity, but in difference scenario sequences and flows.
        • Ch3
          Ch3
          26 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T17:03:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi jvogel-11,

We started with using numbers in the names, of process definitions (BPMN), to suggest flow. You're right in that it makes it easier to find in the definition list but pure sequence numbering can add additional confusion.

The reason I asked the question is we started running into an issue where our processes where being used in multiple diagrams (think "Process Payment" for very different processes and in different orders). We were hoping to use automatic numbering to report on the sequence of the process and keep name for more meaningful numbering.

What we've landed on, for now, is a mix between what you've described.
          • Where meaning exists, we've used numbering within the name; the identifier may indicate a core function, process level, product, project, etc. Example: Product_short_name-1.0.0 to indicate top level process to order and deliver a product.
          • For all sequence flows, "happy path" or otherwise, we use a displayed symbol property to number them. In our case its 00,01,02...n for happy path and a01,a02,a03..an for alternate flow a.
          I'll mark this thread as answered; we don't have an automated solution but the manual solution works ok.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1061 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T20:17:28Z  in response to Ch3
            Yeahup - that is pretty much the solution!