• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-27T16:16:01Z by brcowan
47294 Posts

Pinned topic error on reformat -load : unable to create ownership of a file

‏2012-11-27T10:29:35Z |

Am trying to load & register a vob in clearcase. i have a pvob in a tar.gz file format. pfb the steps i did:
1.sudo tar -xvf test_pvob.tar.gz
2.sudo ./fix_prot -r -root -chown testadmin -chgrp test_app_team /ud1/vobs/TEST/test_pvob.vbs
3.cleartool reformatvob -load -host linuxservername -hpath /ud1/vobs/TEST/test_pvob.vbs/ /ud1/vobs/TEST/test_pvob.vbs/

step 1 creates a test_pvob.vbs folder with many files and also a folder named db.reformat.
step 2 runs without any issue & sets the given permission.
while running step 3 am getting the below error:

cleartool: error: unable to set ownership of file /ud1/vobs/TEST/test_pvob.vbs//db.reformat: operation not permitted.

cleartool: error: unable to create directory "/ud1/vobs/TEST/test_pvob.vbs//db.reformat": operation not permitted.

The same works fine in another linux server. Seems like its a permission related issue. Kindly advise on the same.
  • brcowan
    763 Posts

Re: error on reformat -load : unable to create ownership of a file

Well, for one, we need to know:
    1) What are the credentials you are using to start the load (id -a). I'm assuming "testadmin," but I hate that word.
    2) What user and/or group owns the database directory when you start? (in the unlikely event that the fix_prot didn't do something)
    3) Is /ud1 local storage or NAS storage? If the latter, what are the export options, and the mount options?
    4) Can you MANUALLY rename or chmod the db.reformat directory?

Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436