3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-07T11:41:26Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WAMC : not able to perform Actions on Domains from wamc

‏2012-11-26T21:21:19Z |
Hi There,

I am not able to perform any operation on Domains after adding the appliance to WAMC.

1. I logged in to WAMC ( NO LDAP logIn , a different user that I created for WAMC)
2. Added appliances
3. Selected domains of appliance and clicked on other Actions.
4. The options are DISABLED. NOT ABLE to click on any of the action.

I am using 3.8.2.0 Firmware version.
I guess, it is NOT the problem with firmware version but with the USER ID that I am using to access DP boxes.

On DataPower box - I log in using LDAP IDs.

WAMC version - Release: 2012-09-25
Build Number: 20120925-0943 - it is latest version.
In Nutshell - I need to carry out various actions on Domains, but those options are disabled.
I have provided the WAMC user - solution Deployer access as well.

Kindly suggest, what I am missing.

Thanks.
Updated on 2012-12-07T11:41:26Z at 2012-12-07T11:41:26Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAMC : not able to perform Actions on Domains from wamc

‏2012-11-27T14:17:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

This could be a problem with the model/type of appliance that you are managing with WAMC. The options available in the dropdown menu are enabled or disabled based on the user role that you are currently logged in as but also based on information retrieved from the appliance. The Solution Deployer should have access to all of the functions in the 'Other Actions' menu on the Domains page and as you say you are logged in as a Solution Deployer this is probably not the problem. This leaves the information from the appliance and we can check this by enabling WAMC trace:

1) Stop your WAMC server
    2) Find the 'logs' directory in your WAMC install directory. Delete or move away the existing log files (depending on if you need/want to keep them)
    3) Find the 'config' directory in your WAMC install directory. Rename the file trace.disabled to trace.xml
    4) Start your WAMC server again

If you then log in as the Solution Deployer, go to the Domains page, select the problem appliance and click the 'Other Actions' menu that will cause enough trace to be generated that we can debug the problem further. If you then zip your logs directory and send that to wamc@uk.ibm.com the development team will be happy to investigate further.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6772 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-05T19:43:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

Well, it was a typo. I am able to use 'Other Actions' on Added DP boxes after correcting the spelling.

Well, This is what I understand, kindly correct if I got it wrong -
      1. DP box has only user 'admin1' and no other user
      2. WAMC has user 'wamcAdmin' - which has 'solution Deployer' Access.
      3. 'wamcAdmin' user can add/modify domains/services on DataPower box.

If that is true - then user,who could not clear RBM policies, would still be play with box ?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        6772 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T11:41:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello again,

Glad to hear that you resolved your problem and that you are now able to access the other actions.

Your understanding of the current permissions model in WebSphere Appliance Management Center is essentially correct. All communication with the DataPower appliances is done using the same user ID and in order for actions in the management center to work this user will need admin level access to the appliance. As you say, the current roles in WebSphere Appliance Management Center will allow a user with, for example, the Solution Deployer role to create and modify domains and services on an appliance that he/she may not normally be able to modify. We recognise that this is not always desirable and we have requirements on our backlog to make improvements in this area.

One of the requirements is for a more fine grained set of permissions. This would mean that instead of the current Solution Deployer role being able to quiesce/unquiesce/create/modify domains and services, you could define separate user roles allowing some users to quiesce and unquiesce and a different set of users create/modify. The other requirement is for these permissions to be specified at the appliance or domain level so that you could give a user permissions to create domains on development appliances but prevent them from modifying production appliances.

Please note that these are just two of the many requirements on our backlog and we can't make any definite statement about when or even if we will be able to implement these features. If you are interested, you create new requirements and vote up existing requirements in our backlog here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/?PROD_ID=498 by selecting WebSphere Appliance Management Center for WebSphere Appliances from the drop down menu.

If you have any further questions about WebSphere Appliance Management Center please don't hesitate to ask. The development team regularly check these forums and we can be contacted directly using our email address wamc@uk.ibm.com.

Thanks.
        Ashley Earl (WebSphere Appliance Management Center development)