Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-27T12:22:49Z by SystemAdmin
HOK
HOK
1 Post

Pinned topic Method names could not be determined for an unknown reason

‏2012-11-25T10:39:16Z |
I want to analyze a Websphere AS application to find a performance bottle neck.
I started healthcenter in headless mode.
After reading the file in in the ISA I can not open the Method Trace (no data available) an opening Profiling I see
"Method names could not be determined for an unknown reason".
Updated on 2012-11-27T12:22:49Z at 2012-11-27T12:22:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    188 Posts

Re: Method names could not be determined for an unknown reason

‏2012-11-26T06:49:11Z  
    Hi,

Method names in headless mode are only available when monitoring an application running with either a Java 6 using the 2.6 version of the vm or Java 7. This is due to a limitation in Java. Method Trace (which is slightly different) needs to be configured to use it. Full instructions on how to turn on method trace can be found in the help in ISA for Health Center.

regards

Toby
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    188 Posts

‏2012-11-27T11:13:34Z  
    Hi,

Method names in headless mode are only available when monitoring an application running with either a Java 6 using the 2.6 version of the vm or Java 7. This is due to a limitation in Java. Method Trace (which is slightly different) needs to be configured to use it. Full instructions on how to turn on method trace can be found in the help in ISA for Health Center.

regards

Toby
    I am also trying to profile WebSphere Application Server (a recentish 7.0 fix pack) in headless mode. In IBM Support Assistant WorkBench I see the message "Method names could not be determined for an unknown reason" next to the "Profiling" link. When I click on profiling the method names are available for only a minority of the methods. 70% of the methods are represented by something that looks like a hexadecimal memory address.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    188 Posts

‏2012-11-27T12:22:49Z  
    I am also trying to profile WebSphere Application Server (a recentish 7.0 fix pack) in headless mode. In IBM Support Assistant WorkBench I see the message "Method names could not be determined for an unknown reason" next to the "Profiling" link. When I click on profiling the method names are available for only a minority of the methods. 70% of the methods are represented by something that looks like a hexadecimal memory address.
    Hi,

This is the same problem. The 7.0 fixpack for WAS is not on a high enough level of Java hence the problem with missing method names when running in headless mode

regards

Toby