5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-08T08:00:29Z by Peter Gathua
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic SCA or Webservice?

‏2012-11-23T16:03:59Z |
Hi
We have 2 applications in IBM BPM process server.
Application 1 is a mediation module developed in IBM Integration developer and application 2 is a BPD developed in IBM Process Designer.

Application 1 is a JMS export which get messages froma MQ and sends it to application 2 for further processing.
Application 2 is exposed as webservice and application 1 connects to application via wsdl.

and at runtime in prod I am getting Connection refuesd or 400- bad request error.

Can you please tell if it is advisable to change the application 2 from webservice to a SCA binding.?

Thanks in Advance.
Updated on 2012-11-25T21:16:25Z at 2012-11-25T21:16:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    2929 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SCA or Webservice?

‏2012-11-23T16:30:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    What version of the product are you using? The sense I am getting is that it is IBM BPM Advanced and you have an SCA module that receives the original incoming external request and then wishes to invoke a BPMN process. The way I would suggest doing this is by including the exposed BPD import component in your SCA assembly. The product already provides exactly this capability. Now there may be reasons why you wish to expose the BPMN process as a Web Service but you have not described these in your post so making a more detailed recommendation is not yet possible based on the information provided so far.

Neil
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-25T00:29:31Z  in response to kolban
      Thanks Neil,
      we are using IBM BPM Advanced 7.5.1.
      We created our BPD initially as a webservice but then it was said it had to integrate with a MQ module so we created the mediation module to connect BPD with MQ.
      We have configured our BPEDB, and other product db's on MS SQL.
      But because of this when the number of requests are high, whenever the mediation module tries to invoke the BPD webservice call, we are reciving Lock request time out messages, causing 100 per cent CPU utilization and ending in CPU starvation and server crash. hence thought of changing to SCA. So would like to know if SCA is really helpful in achieving better results than a webservice.

Thanks in advance.
      • kolban
        kolban
        2929 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-25T02:06:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Gotcha. I'd check IBM's TechNotes to see if there aren't some recommended tuning parameters on MSSQL to alleviate the performance/resource issues. When invoking a BPD exposed as a Web Service (directly - not through SCA) then you are effectively building a SOAP message and sending that out over the transport protocol stack. IBM BPM then receives the SOAP message, unmarshalls the request and processes it. If I remember correctly, this will involve not only building a BPMN type Web Service but also calling a UCA to then asynchronously fire off the BPD. All in all, quite a stack and quite a lot of work. With IBM BPM Advanced and a knowledge of SCA assembly, invoking a BPD directly through its exposed SCA interface is pretty much a single drag and drop with nothing special needed on the BPMN side of the house. My understanding is that SCA bindings will be used (under the covers) to invoke an instance of the BPD. Certainly, no UCA definitions need be considered.

Neil
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-25T21:16:25Z  in response to kolban
          Hi Neil, Thanks again. You are right, when the webservice is not responding I am getting async timeout error in ffdc.
          Also, it was already developed appln. and I wanted to clarify before making the changes. Please let me know with your findings.

Thanks in advance.
          • Peter Gathua
            Peter Gathua
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T08:00:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin

How about have SCA use JMS import interface put message in eventqueue? After all SCA components use the sib to communicate with each other, and this is faster. Also by using eventqueue you can easily trigger multiple BPDs as long you use relevant id value. Also any pre-processing of messages can be done in the SCA, so it is a bit more flexible. But again depends on your requirement. If you don't need the flexibility the performance difference will be insignificant.