Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-30T18:20:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic Director 6.3 - Inventory system discovery - Machines show with Multiple IPs

‏2012-11-22T20:38:56Z |
In the inventory, system discovery when I discover a machine by IP address I have installed the 6.3 platform agent I sometimes get other systems tied to that same IP

for example, I select to discover a new machine, I enter the IP info and instead of finding the machine I want, it comes up with a machine I discovered months ago. The other system is now on another segment of the network and when I check under resource explorer, one machine shows with multiple IP addresses, old and new

The old system does not show in the DNS anymore on that old IP yet director thinks it's still there, aside from trying to delete the resource

at one point I had one system with 5 different IP addresses, and the new ones I'm trying to add just get jumbled with that one, instead of a separate resource.

Aside from deleting and trying to re-add the resources with their new IP's only, I'm not sure what else to try, any ideas?
Updated on 2012-11-30T18:20:47Z at 2012-11-30T18:20:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • Hovrin
    Hovrin
    105 Posts

Re: Director 6.3 - Inventory system discovery - Machines show with Multiple IPs

‏2012-11-23T06:59:16Z  
    I have noticed similar behavior and it was caused by same serial number on different machines. When motherboard was changed, technician didn't update serialnumber and a default serialnumber is used and will be the same on several servers. After update to correct serialnumber, resources were shown correct. You might have another issue, but you can always check it out.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Best regards,
    Roger Hovrin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2012-11-23T19:37:40Z  
    You may be onto something, when I checked the machines, some of the machines are not reporting the serial numbers. It just says "system serial number" However not all machines that are showing that "system serial number" are getting grouped together. Some are still getting their own resources.

I'm continuing to investigate to see the other similarities with the machines that are getting grouped together
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2012-11-30T18:20:47Z  
    You may be onto something, when I checked the machines, some of the machines are not reporting the serial numbers. It just says "system serial number" However not all machines that are showing that "system serial number" are getting grouped together. Some are still getting their own resources.

I'm continuing to investigate to see the other similarities with the machines that are getting grouped together
    Merged nodes are a symptom of something duplicated between servers -- UUID, MAC Address, Unique Identifier, SSH Keys, etc.

----
    Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Skills