Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-24T14:46:05Z by nivanov1
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
17917 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DB2 functions for BigData

‏2012-11-20T21:44:05Z |
Hi,

I have seen many presentations about DB2 and BigData, and it seems that in version 10 there is a new functionality that allows to read directly in HDFS from DB2, and to submit a job in a Hadoop system.

I saw in the presentations the name of these functions implemented in Java
  • hdfsread()
  • jaqlsubmit()

However, I cannot see any information in the InfoCenter. I looked for that in Google, but there is not any further information, just that they "exist". Even, in the last db2night show, they talk about these two functions.

I would like to take a look at the API, which is called "DB2 SQL API extended for BigData", but I do not know where to find it. Which other functions are available for Hadoop?

If some of you have some technical information (not only PowerPoint presentation), it would be great if you can share it.

CREATE FUNCTION jaqlSubmit (jserver VARCHAR (xxx), jquery VARCHAR (xxxxx) ) LANGUAGE JAVA EXTERNAL NAME ‘jar:com.ibm.XAP.Jaql!JaqlSubmit
' RETURNS hdfs_handle VARCHAR(xxxx)   CREATE FUNCTION hdfsRead (handle VARCHAR (xxxx) ) RETURNS GENERIC TABLE LANGUAGE JAVA PARAMETER STYLE DB2GENERAL EXTERNAL NAME ‘jar:com.ibm.XAP.hdfsRead
'
Updated on 2012-11-24T14:46:05Z at 2012-11-24T14:46:05Z by nivanov1
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    17917 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DB2 functions for BigData

‏2012-11-23T14:05:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

It is included in "IBM Inforsphere Biginsights Information Center" :
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bigins/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.biginsights.doc/doc/r0057697.html

Regards.

Yves-Antoine Emmanuelli
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      17917 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-23T22:03:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

Thanks for the information, it was exactly what I was looking for.

However, now I have a doubt. These Java Stored Procedures are part of Big Insights, but they are announced as part of the new features of DB2 10, then, are they or not part of DB2 10?

Also, I can use BigInsights with DB2 v9.7, thus I do not understand what is exactly the new feaure for BigData in DB2 10.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27027141
      • nivanov1
        nivanov1
        231 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-24T14:46:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        These BigInsights functions are not part of DB2 10.1; they are shown in the documentation as examples of generic table functions, support for which is new to DB2 10.1

Generic table functions allow you to define table UDFs with the result set structure that is unknown at the compilation time.