Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-27T20:51:27Z by wnm3
wnm3
wnm3
9 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rich Text Editor faults with org.eclipse.jetty.server.Handler class not fou

‏2012-11-20T20:10:25Z |
I've installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of Indigo J2EE SR2 and then installed the WAS Dev v8.5 using the drag/drop from https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/wasdev/entry/download_wdt?lang=en

Once this has been done and eclipse restarted, if you create a static (or dynamic) web project and create a new HTML 5 file it will attempt to open in the Rich Text Editor and will throw an exception:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.eclipse.jetty.server.Handler
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verifyImpl(Native Method)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(J9VMInternals.java:72)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:134)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:1345)
at com.ibm.etools.rpe.internal.server.JettyServer.setupServer(JettyServer.java:71)
at com.ibm.etools.rpe.internal.server.JettyServer.getInstance(JettyServer.java:33)
at com.ibm.etools.rpe.RPEPlugin$1.run(RPEPlugin.java:52)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.jetty.server.Handler
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:513)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:429)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:417)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:107)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:626)
... 9 more

I believe if you use the Eclipse HTML editor this does not occur (tested before installing WAS tools). The class is in the org.eclipse.jetty.server_7.5.1.v20110908.jar plugin so I'm not sure why it isn't found.

Is there a workaround? Once this happens, exiting Eclipse sometimes creates a javacore and exits with an error. I've also found the HTML Validator goes out to lunch requiring a forced shutdown of Eclipse. Is there a fixpack available for this toolkit?

There is also an error in the log upon startup stating Invalid preference page path: Service Testing.

I'd opened an error with Eclipse but they closed it as an error with WAS dev...
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=394665 (has a javacore attached there)
  • wnm3
    wnm3
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rich Text Editor faults with org.eclipse.jetty.server.Handler class not fou

‏2012-11-21T14:27:43Z  in response to wnm3
    I found a few things to mitigate this problem.

I switched to using Juno over Indigo. This seemed to help with the HTML problem when using the Rich Text Editor (though I also configured this in window preferences to default to showing the Source view).

I also found some references to the javacore problem in the Eclipse buglist that suggested there was a problem with the IE 9 jscript.dll and they recommended adding the following line to the header:

<meta http-equiv=
    "X-UA-Compatible" content=
    "IE=EmulateIE8">

However, I found a preview version of IE 10 for Windows 7 and elected to install that instead.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-27T20:23:05Z  in response to wnm3
    For the NoClassDefFoundError that breaks the Rich Page Editor, this problem is fixed in the latest refresh of the tools (version 8.5.1) which was recently released. You can search from Help->Eclipse Marketplace for "WebSphere Development Tools" to find the latest version.

The problem generally indicates something went wrong with the original marketplace install, since the editor saw and tried to use Juno's version of Jetty rather than the one in the base Indigo install. Similar problems have occurred in the past so the updates to the editor code work around such installation issues to always pick a suitable version. As a result you should no longer see this exception and the editor should function as expected.
    • wnm3
      wnm3
      9 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-27T20:51:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks 8.5.1 is working great. Editors are much more stable than before.