6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-22T14:59:09Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1744 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Dual VIO SEA Failover with VLAN Tagging

‏2012-11-20T17:50:48Z |
Hi all,

I am currently setting up a dual VIOs SEA failover with vlan tagging. So far I have created the SEAs to build the failover on the VIOs, where each one is built upon a virtual ethernet adapter that has 3 Vlans tagged. However, I haven´t been able to configure the corresponding IPs on the client LPAR, since my idea is that each LPAR to have three IPs. Thus, I am not sure how they should be defined on the profile. Is there a documentation available that can show what I am trying to do? Or is it possible to do?

Thanks,

Juan Diaz
Updated on 2012-11-22T14:59:09Z at 2012-11-22T14:59:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Dual VIO SEA Failover with VLAN Tagging

‏2012-11-20T20:32:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    This is the most confusing topic documented in the redbooks. I am about to configure some dual VIOs here. This is my plan

I guess we need to define one Virtual ethernet on VIOS servers which has the following,

a. Bridging enabled
    b. 802.1q VLAN tagged ( Add all the VLANs here ).

On the clients, use the VLAN ids to tag their virtual adapters. If I remember to come back, I will have a better version of my statement.

PVID and VID ... can somebody explain the differences ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-21T11:38:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi there,

I'm using vlan tagging on dual vios with SEA failover here is my configuration :

• Step 1 : on each vios server create a virtual adapter with an UNUSED vlan id in my case I choose 999 (Ensure VLAN tags are not stripped on the VIOS) . This adapter has to be an 802.1q compatible adapter.
    • Step 2 : on this 2 new virtual adapters add additional vlans (same list on each VIO Server, if this list is different on each VIO Server SEA adapter is automatically set to Defined after a reboot)
    • Step 3 : on this 2 new virtual adapters choose access external network (set priority different on each adapter, be careful with arp broadcast storm ;)).
    • Step 4 : add 2 new virtual adapter for control channel with the same vlan id with no access to external network and no 802.1q.
    • Step 5 : then on each VIO server create your SEA adapter.

# mkvdev -sea ent0 -vadapter ent5 -

default ent5 -defaultid 999 -attr ha_mode=auto ctl_chan=ent4 ent6 available

• Step 6 : if you need to access your VIO Server trough SSH you have to created a VLAN adapter with one of the vlan id set on step 2.

# mkvdev -vlan ent6 -tagid 833 ent8 available

• Step 7 : configure an IP on this new vlan adapter.

# mktcpip -hostname vios1 -

interface ent8 -inetadd x.x.x.x -netamask x.x.x.x -gateway x.x.x.x -start

• Step 8 : VIO Client configuration, on VIO Client add (in your case) 3 new adapters with for each one one of the vlan id used in step 2 (same adapter used with a non tagged SEA).
    • Step 9 : boot your VIO Client, setup network, you're done. Easy ?

An article on my old blog about this subject : http://desordre.chaosisme.com/search.cgi?blog_name=unixlinux&article=kvpv7tenk5

Hope this can help.

Benoît.

http://chmod666.org
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1744 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-21T13:49:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi there,

Of all the steps you listed, the only thing different that I did was to create an additional ethernet virtual adapter on each VIO server and configure an IP address that belongs to one of the VLANS tagged to the virtual adapter that is part of the SEA. However, my understanding is that if I was able to configure an IP for the VIO server, I should be able to configure an IP for the client LPAR, and have the same result: communication via ssh. Perhaps I am missing some step in creating the virtual adapters on the LPAR profile. I am attaching a file that shows how I am configuring the virtual adapter on the LPAR profile.
      • jklotz
        jklotz
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-21T15:46:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        "Of all the steps you listed, the only thing different that I did was to create an additional ethernet virtual adapter on each VIO server and configure an IP address that belongs to one of the VLANS tagged to the virtual adapter that is part of the SEA. However, my understanding is that if I was able to configure an IP for the VIO server, I should be able to configure an IP for the client LPAR, and have the same result: communication via ssh. Perhaps I am missing some step in creating the virtual adapters on the LPAR profile. I am attaching a file that shows how I am configuring the virtual adapter on the LPAR profile."

On your client LPAR profile, you need either :
        • a virtual ethernet adapter with PVID 27 (this is the vlan number in your graphic); on the operating system, assign him an IP address in the same subnet than the VIO Server;
        • or a virtual ethernet adapter which has the VLAN 27 in its additionnal VLAN list (VID); in this case, you need besides to create a VLAN adapter in AIX for the VLAN 27, and assign it an IP address in the same subnet than the VIO Server.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1744 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-21T18:36:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        1 - To access you VIO Server trough SSH, you do not have to create a new virtual adapter, just create a VLAN adapter (on the VIO Sever of course, not on the HMC)(ethernet frames are untagged when they arrived on the VIO Server, and the VIO Server has to tag it by itself), below an example of my configuration :

# lsdev -type adapter [..] ent0             Available   10 Gb Ethernet-SR PCI Express Dual Port Adapter (771000801410b003) ent1             Available   10 Gb Ethernet-SR PCI Express Dual Port Adapter (771000801410b003) ent2             Available   Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) ent3             Available   Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) ent4             Available   EtherChannel / IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation ent5             Available   Shared Ethernet Adapter ent6             Available   VLAN [..] # lsdev -dev ent6 -attr vlan_tag_id value   1122 # lsdev -dev ent5 -attr virt_adapters,real_adapter,pvid_adapter,ctl_chan value   ent3 ent4 ent3 ent2 # entstat -all ent5 | grep -i vlan [..] Invalid VLAN ID Packets: 0 Port VLAN ID:   999 VLAN Tag IDs:  1122 84 1082 2 135 [..]

As you can see the vlan 1122, is a vlan added in "Additionnal vlan id" on my virtual adapter on the VIO Server, I do not need an additional virtual adapter to access my VIO server.
        2 - On the client adapter you do not have to check "802.1 compatible adapter", please uncheck this box.
        3 - Be carefull off the ethernet switch, the virtual adapter on the VIO Server (used for the SEA) and virtual adapter on the Client lpar has to be in the same virtual ethernet switch. (in your case ETHERNET0)
        4 - If with all theses tips you can't still access your server, call your network team and check phyiscal switch port was configured to be trunked with the vlan ids that you want (in your case at least 27)
        5 - Can you please send screenshots of virtual adapters used on VIO Servers.

Hope this can help.

Benoît.

http://chmod666.org
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-22T14:59:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I want to say thanks to all of you who replied to my question. Finally, based on your answers I was able to succesfully configure and test my SEA failover.