• 25 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-28T15:26:09Z by SystemAdmin
JBASkeen
JBASkeen
137 Posts

Pinned topic RBD somtimes not recognizing Ctrl key combinations

‏2012-11-20T12:33:44Z |
RBD 8.0 - 8.5

Has anyone ever had RBD suddenly stop recognizing Ctrl key combinations, like Ctrl+S, Ctrl+D, etc.? This is a daily occurrence for me and requires that I restart RBD completely in order to get the shortcut keys back. Unfortunately I have not been able to identify what triggers the issue.

James
Updated on 2013-03-28T15:26:09Z at 2013-03-28T15:26:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • dan_darnell
    dan_darnell
    973 Posts

Re: RBD somtimes not recognizing Ctrl key combinations

‏2012-11-20T17:30:32Z  
    Just started happening to me since I upgraded to 8.5. I also randomly lose the backspace key.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-11-20T18:28:30Z  
    Just started happening to me since I upgraded to 8.5. I also randomly lose the backspace key.
    Me as well. Sometimes I lose Ctrl-S and have to revert to using the save icon. I also lose Ctrl-F which does not present a search dialog, in which case I have to restart RBD.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-11-21T01:19:42Z  
    Me as well. Sometimes I lose Ctrl-S and have to revert to using the save icon. I also lose Ctrl-F which does not present a search dialog, in which case I have to restart RBD.
    Could you please tell me that when such problem happens in EGL editor, other editors still work? For example, if you find the EGL editor have problems with ctrl+f, open a Java file, and try to invoke the ctrl+f, any problems with Java file editor? Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-11-21T02:10:10Z  
    Hi All,

If you remember this, could you tell me what kind of editor did you use? source editor or VE source tab?.

Thanks
    Xiaobin
  • dan_darnell
    dan_darnell
    973 Posts

‏2012-11-21T17:01:09Z  
    Hi All,

If you remember this, could you tell me what kind of editor did you use? source editor or VE source tab?.

Thanks
    Xiaobin
    For me it happens in the VE source tab.

--Dan
  • dan_darnell
    dan_darnell
    973 Posts

‏2012-11-21T17:02:21Z  
    Could you please tell me that when such problem happens in EGL editor, other editors still work? For example, if you find the EGL editor have problems with ctrl+f, open a Java file, and try to invoke the ctrl+f, any problems with Java file editor? Thanks.
    "Could you please tell me that when such problem happens in EGL editor, other editors still work? For example, if you find the EGL editor have problems with ctrl+f, open a Java file, and try to invoke the ctrl+f, any problems with Java file editor? Thanks."

Next time it happens I will try another editor and let you know.

--Dan
  • JBASkeen
    JBASkeen
    137 Posts

‏2012-11-28T12:42:17Z  
    "Could you please tell me that when such problem happens in EGL editor, other editors still work? For example, if you find the EGL editor have problems with ctrl+f, open a Java file, and try to invoke the ctrl+f, any problems with Java file editor? Thanks."

Next time it happens I will try another editor and let you know.

--Dan
    I only use EGL Rich UI Editor and EGL Editor. Next time I will switch to another editor and look at some java source to see if it still happens. From the responses it looks like it is happening all over the place, we might have already proven that from the responses in this post. For me the issue is incredibly intermittent. I have had it happen after using RBD for 10 minutes, an hour, and immediately after starting RBD (before doing anything).

Thanks,
    James
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-11-28T15:18:29Z  
    We have the same problems when we started to use RBD 8.5.
    CTRL + D is not working when editing an EGL source. When editing a Javasource (in the same workspace) CTRL + D is available.

Greetings, Jeroen
    AMITS
  • Kendall.Coolidge
    Kendall.Coolidge
    84 Posts

‏2012-11-28T17:40:18Z  
    Hi All,

Thanks
    Xiaobin
    For me, in the Rich UI editor, source tab, my delete key stopped working. Closed and reopened the editor and delete works again.
  • Kendall.Coolidge
    Kendall.Coolidge
    84 Posts

‏2012-12-07T18:51:34Z  
    After being in the EGL Rich UI Editor for about 5 hours, my F3 key stopped working. Switched to the EGL Editor and F3 is fine there and has stayed that way for 2 hrs.
  • JBASkeen
    JBASkeen
    137 Posts

‏2012-12-17T12:53:25Z  
    We have the same problems when we started to use RBD 8.5.
    CTRL + D is not working when editing an EGL source. When editing a Javasource (in the same workspace) CTRL + D is available.

Greetings, Jeroen
    AMITS
    Any progress on this issue? Not sure if IBM is looking into it or not... It happens to me a lot but I can not figure out a pattern, not a huge deal but annoying to say the least.

Has anyone experienced it in 8.5.1? I have not upgraded yet from 8.5 but I plan to do so after the new year.

James
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-12-20T07:49:19Z  
    • JBASkeen
    • ‏2012-12-17T12:53:25Z
    Any progress on this issue? Not sure if IBM is looking into it or not... It happens to me a lot but I can not figure out a pattern, not a huge deal but annoying to say the least.

Has anyone experienced it in 8.5.1? I have not upgraded yet from 8.5 but I plan to do so after the new year.

James
    Yes, we're looking at the problem. Besides we're trying to reproduce the problem, appreciate very much if you could help to collect the diagnose info as well. You could following steps and then send us the diagnose log after having the problem. So that we can locate the root cause.

1) Copy the attached ".options" file to your RBD installation folder.
    2) Go to RBD installation package, and open eclipse.ini. Update the
    -vm
    C:\RBD851\jdk\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    to
    -vm
    C:\RBD851\jdk\jre\bin
    3) Open the shortcut of RBD (by right click the RBD launch shortcut), and add ' -debug' option. You could refer to the attached screen-shot.
    4) Click the RBD shortcut and start it, then you'll find a console window is displayed as well. So the shortcut should be similar to following, "C:\RBD851\eclipse.exe -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide -debug"
    5) Now any key stroke in the RBD will print following similar message in the console. If you reproduced the problem, then paste the message to this thread.
    KEYS >>> WorkbenchKeyboard.press(potentialKeyStrokes = CTRL+D)
    KEYS >>> WorkbenchKeyboard.executeCommand(commandId = 'org.eclipse.ui.edit.text.delete.line', parameters = {})

Notice: It has performance problems after applying the previous change, so you'd better rollback the changes...

Attachments

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-12-20T08:01:49Z  
    Yes, we're looking at the problem. Besides we're trying to reproduce the problem, appreciate very much if you could help to collect the diagnose info as well. You could following steps and then send us the diagnose log after having the problem. So that we can locate the root cause.

1) Copy the attached ".options" file to your RBD installation folder.
    2) Go to RBD installation package, and open eclipse.ini. Update the
    -vm
    C:\RBD851\jdk\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    to
    -vm
    C:\RBD851\jdk\jre\bin
    3) Open the shortcut of RBD (by right click the RBD launch shortcut), and add ' -debug' option. You could refer to the attached screen-shot.
    4) Click the RBD shortcut and start it, then you'll find a console window is displayed as well. So the shortcut should be similar to following, "C:\RBD851\eclipse.exe -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide -debug"
    5) Now any key stroke in the RBD will print following similar message in the console. If you reproduced the problem, then paste the message to this thread.
    KEYS >>> WorkbenchKeyboard.press(potentialKeyStrokes = CTRL+D)
    KEYS >>> WorkbenchKeyboard.executeCommand(commandId = 'org.eclipse.ui.edit.text.delete.line', parameters = {})

Notice: It has performance problems after applying the previous change, so you'd better rollback the changes...
    Some updates with the 3rd and 4th steps,

3) Open the shortcut of RBD (by right click the RBD launch shortcut), and add ' -debug' option. So the shortcut should be similar to following, "C:\RBD851\eclipse.exe -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide -debug" You could refer to the attached screen-shot.
    4) Click the RBD shortcut and start it, then you'll find a console window is displayed as well.
  • JBASkeen
    JBASkeen
    137 Posts

‏2013-01-11T18:51:24Z  
    Some updates with the 3rd and 4th steps,

3) Open the shortcut of RBD (by right click the RBD launch shortcut), and add ' -debug' option. So the shortcut should be similar to following, "C:\RBD851\eclipse.exe -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide -debug" You could refer to the attached screen-shot.
    4) Click the RBD shortcut and start it, then you'll find a console window is displayed as well.
    I have not tried to add the logging yet, I will try it ASAP when I have a workstation that can be modified, hopefully that can help.

Thanks,
    James
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-01-17T10:13:05Z  
    Hi,

We have opened PMR 71187,756,000 on this.

I will try the debug logging in the next few days
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-01-20T13:09:40Z  
    This feels just like taking the dog to the vet: after configuring the debugging it works just fine! ;-)
    Pets also have mysterious capabilities to appear in perfect health while being examined...
    I keep the debug in for a while until the key combinations stop working again.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2013-01-21T08:17:56Z  
    This feels just like taking the dog to the vet: after configuring the debugging it works just fine! ;-)
    Pets also have mysterious capabilities to appear in perfect health while being examined...
    I keep the debug in for a while until the key combinations stop working again.
    We had the ctrl-key problems when using the design tab and preview tab often.
    When watching the heap size, it was using a lot!
    Maybe it's only happening, when using a lot of memory.....

Greetings, Jeroen.
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-01-25T23:16:53Z  
    And all of the sudden ctrl-S stopped working...
    It sees the ctrl-S, tries to run 'org.eclipse.ui.file.save', but that one seems to have run away as directly after that comes 'KEYS >>> not handled'
    Missed ctrl-C too, did not notice that, I though I did not type it right. These can be found in the debug file too.
    I attached the log file.

BTW: The font of the forum changed and the header bar is now in Chinese! LOL
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-01-25T23:21:43Z  
    And it's back, here is another debug file.
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-01-25T23:22:27Z  
    Now with the file...
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-03-13T11:59:29Z  
    Hi everyone,

The debug data did not help.
    I got an updated .options file to capture other stuff as well. I had some services to work on in 8.5.1. No problems at all.
    To get this fixed, please assist in finding the root cause by using the debug configuration.

Marcel

Attachments

• M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-03-17T05:45:23Z  
    And it's back, now in the project explorer:
    • Pressing Del key with one or more files selected does nothing
    • Copy paste of files does not work
  • M Groeneweg
    M Groeneweg
    80 Posts

‏2013-03-28T11:56:50Z  
    Problem has been identified as Eclipse bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=404520
    (I did not put in that title! :-))
    Please vote for the bug to help it move up the queue!
  • Kendall.Coolidge
    Kendall.Coolidge
    84 Posts

‏2013-03-28T15:07:39Z  
    Problem has been identified as Eclipse bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=404520
    (I did not put in that title! :-))
    Please vote for the bug to help it move up the queue!
    One vote from me!