IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-12T01:09:30Z by SystemAdmin
greenlines
greenlines
12 Posts

Pinned topic coach opens completely empty!

‏2012-11-19T18:20:06Z |
I have a coach I want to edit. I step through the debug and everything looks great until I get to the coach. It has nothing on it but a title and an "OK" button. The web page opens up completely empty - no title - not button. Just white....

What is this? I've deleted and started over three times all with the same results. I have shut down the server and left it for an hour and come back but still this is the behavior.

Any ideas are sincerely appreciated!
Updated on 2012-12-12T01:09:30Z at 2012-12-12T01:09:30Z by SystemAdmin
  • greenlines
    greenlines
    12 Posts

Re: error in ui or palette? coach opens completely empty!

‏2012-11-19T19:39:20Z  
    Here is my eclipse log. It doesn't matter now what service I open or create. I always get a nullPointerException and see no changes!

Any ideas?

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2012-11-19 12:11:43.023
    !MESSAGE java.lang.NullPointerException
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.palette.PaletteViewer.setActiveTool(PaletteViewer.java:381)
    at org.eclipse.gef.EditDomain.loadDefaultTool(EditDomain.java:188)
    at org.eclipse.gef.tools.AbstractTool.handleFinished(AbstractTool.java:692)
    at org.eclipse.gef.tools.CreationTool.handleButtonUp(CreationTool.java:182)
    at org.eclipse.gef.tools.AbstractTool.mouseUp(AbstractTool.java:1053)
    at org.eclipse.gef.EditDomain.mouseUp(EditDomain.java:259)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.DomainEventDispatcher.dispatchMouseReleased(DomainEventDispatcher.java:374)
    at org.eclipse.draw2d.LightweightSystem$EventHandler.mouseUp(LightweightSystem.java:538)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:137)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1930)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1894)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:422)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)
  • kolban
    kolban
    3315 Posts

Re: coach opens completely empty!

‏2012-11-19T19:47:50Z  
    Hi there. Your post made me smile. I liked the idea of debugging by turning of the server for an hour. That should let it cool down. Never overheat your IBM BPM system and make sure the engine always has enough oil :-)

If you are seeing a Coach with "nothing on it" ... then I am assuming you are seeing that in the browser. Do other Coaches work? If you create a Human Service with some trivial content, does it show up or are ALL Coaches broken?

What version of the IBM BPM product are you using?

How are you launching the Coach?

What flavor of browser are you using?

Neil
  • greenlines
    greenlines
    12 Posts

‏2012-11-19T20:42:30Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2012-11-19T19:47:50Z
    Hi there. Your post made me smile. I liked the idea of debugging by turning of the server for an hour. That should let it cool down. Never overheat your IBM BPM system and make sure the engine always has enough oil :-)

If you are seeing a Coach with "nothing on it" ... then I am assuming you are seeing that in the browser. Do other Coaches work? If you create a Human Service with some trivial content, does it show up or are ALL Coaches broken?

What version of the IBM BPM product are you using?

How are you launching the Coach?

What flavor of browser are you using?

Neil
    Hey, thanks, Neil. I wondered if there was some horrible cache that would not clear so I figured cooling it down would help me realize it may not be that! :-)

It is in the browser that the coach opens. Other coaches do work - but no changes on any coach display. In fact when I try to make a new coach I get a NullPointerException with the extra goodies listed above. I am unable to even create a human service without the exception.

I am using Teamworks 6.1

Launch via bpd task.

Browser = ff, id, chrome

I don't see any messages in the logs on the server - they all appear very happy!
  • kolban
    kolban
    3315 Posts

‏2012-11-19T21:13:16Z  
    Hey, thanks, Neil. I wondered if there was some horrible cache that would not clear so I figured cooling it down would help me realize it may not be that! :-)

It is in the browser that the coach opens. Other coaches do work - but no changes on any coach display. In fact when I try to make a new coach I get a NullPointerException with the extra goodies listed above. I am unable to even create a human service without the exception.

I am using Teamworks 6.1

Launch via bpd task.

Browser = ff, id, chrome

I don't see any messages in the logs on the server - they all appear very happy!
    Aww man :-( ... I am now out of my depth. I first started working with the product with IBM WebSphere Lombardi Edition 7.2 and even now have forgotten most of that as the changes between each release seem so "massive" that I really only have time to think about the latest which is 8.0.1. I'm afraid I have nothing for you in terms of diagnosing a 6.1 problem :-(
  • greenlines
    greenlines
    12 Posts

‏2012-11-19T22:24:14Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2012-11-19T21:13:16Z
    Aww man :-( ... I am now out of my depth. I first started working with the product with IBM WebSphere Lombardi Edition 7.2 and even now have forgotten most of that as the changes between each release seem so "massive" that I really only have time to think about the latest which is 8.0.1. I'm afraid I have nothing for you in terms of diagnosing a 6.1 problem :-(
    Thank you. If you think of anything at all please let me know. It seems it is the eclipse piece. I don't even think it is server stuff. I think it's the development gui. But perhaps that is so different as well...

Thanks again!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2012-11-20T19:06:02Z  
    Thank you. If you think of anything at all please let me know. It seems it is the eclipse piece. I don't even think it is server stuff. I think it's the development gui. But perhaps that is so different as well...

Thanks again!
    Sounds to me like someone messed with the coach designer XSLT in some way so that it isn't creating the right HTML. Any errors in the log files?

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
  • greenlines
    greenlines
    12 Posts

‏2012-11-21T13:40:55Z  
    Sounds to me like someone messed with the coach designer XSLT in some way so that it isn't creating the right HTML. Any errors in the log files?

Andres:

Thank you so much for taking time to examine this. I truly appreciate it!

There are no entries in the log files after restarting the server. I have deleted my workspace and set it up again - but the problem persists.

Here are the steps to produce the error:
    1. open a coach
    2. click a coach icon from the palette
    3. click on the canvas

I can draw lines and add comments and decisions - I just can't drop a coach item onto the canvas.

I've included a screen shot.

A log file never even gets created on a new workspace. I've recreated the error several times then saved and moved items, etc. But no message in the log or the workspace log.

Any ideas?

I sincerely appreciate the support - very much!

Thank you
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2012-11-25T16:25:54Z  
    Andres:

Thank you so much for taking time to examine this. I truly appreciate it!

There are no entries in the log files after restarting the server. I have deleted my workspace and set it up again - but the problem persists.

Here are the steps to produce the error:
    1. open a coach
    2. click a coach icon from the palette
    3. click on the canvas

I can draw lines and add comments and decisions - I just can't drop a coach item onto the canvas.

I've included a screen shot.

A log file never even gets created on a new workspace. I've recreated the error several times then saved and moved items, etc. But no message in the log or the workspace log.

Any ideas?

I sincerely appreciate the support - very much!

Thank you
    If you have another 6.X server you can attach this AE to, I would do that. It would tell you if the source of the error is the Authoring Environment or a change on the server. As I said, I'm suspecting someone changed the Coach Designer XSLT on you.

• greenlines
    greenlines
    12 Posts

‏2012-12-05T21:10:45Z  
    If you have another 6.X server you can attach this AE to, I would do that. It would tell you if the source of the error is the Authoring Environment or a change on the server. As I said, I'm suspecting someone changed the Coach Designer XSLT on you.

Andrew! You are amazing! I knew of no changes on the Coach Designer XSLT but I found a backup from several months ago (July) and copied the file over. The file sizes appeared the same but the dates were not. That copy fixed everything! That was the trouble. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this and to respond to this. Your insight was exactly on. I would never have thought to even look there if you had not taking the time. Thank you so very much. I will meet some tight deadlines and keep things moving here. Thanks again for your expertise and professionalism.
  • kolban
    kolban
    3315 Posts

‏2012-12-05T21:24:40Z  
    Andrew! You are amazing! I knew of no changes on the Coach Designer XSLT but I found a backup from several months ago (July) and copied the file over. The file sizes appeared the same but the dates were not. That copy fixed everything! That was the trouble. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this and to respond to this. Your insight was exactly on. I would never have thought to even look there if you had not taking the time. Thank you so very much. I will meet some tight deadlines and keep things moving here. Thanks again for your expertise and professionalism.
    I'd also like to second the praise for Andrew. The quality of his posts and his accuracy are fantastic. When ever I see a post by Andrew I slow down and take my time to read it carefully because there is invariably gold within.

I do a lot of posting but I would consider myself blessed if could contribute a fraction of the quality of a single of his posts to a dozen of my "waffles" and "guesses".

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2012-12-12T00:47:47Z  
    Thank you very much guys. Given that I'm working my way through a backlog of about 200 posts from me being burried on customer work, this response gives me the encouragement I need to keep going through. I appreciate the feedback.

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2012-12-12T01:09:30Z  
    Thank you very much guys. Given that I'm working my way through a backlog of about 200 posts from me being burried on customer work, this response gives me the encouragement I need to keep going through. I appreciate the feedback.

For those of you who don't know, Andrew is the person with the most Lombardi/IBM BPM experience in the world. Literally. The fact that he volunteers so much time here is amazing.

While I'm at it, since I'm not an IBM employee anymore, I'll plug Andrew's company. These guys are some of the most experienced BPM guys out there. If you look at Andrew's posts and think "this guy really knows what he is talking about" (and you should be thinking that), you might consider hiring these guys for your company on a professional basis.

http://www.bp-3.com

David
    (Full disclaimer: I have no commercial relationship with these guys, I've just been impressed by their work over the years.)