Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-20T12:38:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic resuming a failed process instance

‏2012-11-17T12:25:19Z |
When a failed process instance is resumed from the inspector, where exactly does the resumption start in the flow? My understanding was from the last "save execution context" save point.
Updated on 2013-01-20T12:38:37Z at 2013-01-20T12:38:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    2929 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: resuming a failed process instance

‏2012-11-19T05:31:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I wasn't aware that we could resume a failed process.... what technique are you using to achieve that effect?

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T07:36:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    We need to get into the inspector view(of process designer) and click on the failed instance(on the left panel) and then hit on the resume button available at the right top corner. Before that, we need to connect to the proper environment (DEV/TEST/UAT) and then select the snapshot to which the failed instance belongs to.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T10:40:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Jayadev,
      Even I had a failed process instance because of the data entered in the coach. I did a resume like you have said and the user got the task back onto his inbox, but when he clicked on run, the page just refreshed and the process instance was again into failed state. Is there any way to resolve the data issue?

Thanks,
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T12:46:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Neil, I believe you can also resume failed instances from the Inspector in Process Admin, and from a REST call if you have access to the REST API tester

amkr, you could use the Set Data call in REST API to overwrite the problematic variable. However, it will require that whoever is sending the REST call needs access to the task, I think - may need to reassign back to group or other similar action.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T13:43:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You will have to identify the root cause of the failure, may be the process state or any external system availability. Resume is not going to perform anything special in terms of curing the problem. It just does a retry of where it initially failed. One way to fix the process instance state would be to use the REST API as mentioned by egalvin. I guess you can change the process variables in the process inspector as well.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-25T16:03:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    To the original question - the reume should resume from the last "save execution context" as you mentioned. I believe using the inspector you can actually drill into the service and see where to tokens are on the failed service. There is always a "save execution" call on the submission of a coach, you can't turn that off. There used to also always be one when you exited a sub service, but I haven't tested that since 7.0 came out, so I'm not sure if that still happens.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-25T21:20:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Andrew and Jayadev,
      How do we grant / restrict access to process deigner or normal users to different servers(SIT, UAT, Prod, support) and various applications installed on each server for users to use process inspector and process optimizer ?

Thanks in advance.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-26T15:49:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I'm not really sure how to answer this. The process designer itself will only work for people either directly added to the Admin tab in the Process Center, or in groups that are there (out of the box this is the groups tw_authors and tw_admins). Each Process App has its own rules for who can Administer, Read, and Write the Process App.

There is another set of rules for who can deploy to various servers.

I don't think there is any control over who can use the Process Inspector against various servers, however off line servers cannot be accessed through the Process Inspector in the Process Designer.

In 8.0 there is a web based Process Inspector that is part of the Process Admin console. This is essentially a UI on top of the rest calls that you could also just surface in your own UI. (At least, that is what it looks like to me…)

I guess what I realy need to know is what problem you are trying to solve. Do you want to allow end users to resume BPD instances?

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-20T12:38:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          There are many posts on this forum that touched upon failed instance resume. They talk about what gets saved, where does the process resume from, etc. I still have questions around the boundaries the system may respect when looking for the last save point. I will do a small PoC in WLE 7.2 and come back with findings and residual questions. I presume the same behaviour applies for iBPM 8.0 as well !