Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-20T15:26:15Z by pmcwatt
pmcwatt
pmcwatt
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic VMControl Image Repository

‏2012-11-16T14:08:45Z |
I've got Director 6.3.1.1 installed on an LPAR running AIX 6.1 TL07.
I've activated the 90day VMControl Enterprise Edition.

I've got dsm and ssh installed on the NIM.
I've installed the CommonAgentSubagent_VMControl_NIM-2.4.1.1
I've been through Discover Virtual Appliances and selected the NIM
If i run "smcli lsrepos -ol" it lists the NIM as my image repository
If i go to the Virtual Appliances tab it shows i have 1 image repository, if i click on this is shows as being my NIM server.
I have been through capturing a virtual appliance from a lpp_source - this creates the virtual appliance ok. If i look on the NIM i can see an OVF entry has been created in /export/nim/appliances - all okay so far.

Now my problem - i try to "capture" a virtual appliance from one of my other LPARs.
I select Capture, give it a name, i select Virtual Server, i then select the running LPAR that i wish to capture, i then get the following error message:
DNZIMC819E - There are no suitable image repositories available to capture the selected source. Make a suitable image repository available before trying to capture the selected source again, or choose a different source.

I can't find this on google or the internal Power Systems PMR database.

I have made sure there is plenty of space on the /export filesystem.
If i select the LPAR which is running as the Director Server it allows me to continue. I have about 15 LPARs on here and this is the only one that will allow me to proceed with "capture"
The NIM is running AIX 7.1 TL01 SP04 which is the highest level of AIX in my environment.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome?
Updated on 2012-11-20T15:26:15Z at 2012-11-20T15:26:15Z by pmcwatt
  • gcorneau
    gcorneau
    234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: VMControl Image Repository

‏2012-11-16T14:54:28Z  in response to pmcwatt
    Has the target AIX OS been discovered and unlocked?
    Not the Virtual Server (LPAR) representation, but the OS itself.

Glen Corneau
    IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills
    • pmcwatt
      pmcwatt
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T15:10:48Z  in response to gcorneau
      Hi - yes, discovered, unlocked, and inventory collected.
      • gcorneau
        gcorneau
        234 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T18:53:50Z  in response to pmcwatt
        A few more things to check:
        • For the discovered OS, what protocols are listed in the Properties ? Need either SSH or CAS. SNMP won't do.
        • For the discovered OS, is it virtualized?
          • From the OS -> Related Resources -> Server -> Operating System Installed On
          • From the VS just displayed -> Related Resources -> Server -> Server Hosts
          • From the Host just displayed -> Related Resources -> Hardware Management Console
        • Also, make sure the NIM server's Access hasn't changed/gone away.

If these don't show up, or are in Access=not OK that will cause issues for capture.

Glen Corneau
        • pmcwatt
          pmcwatt
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T15:53:55Z  in response to gcorneau
          Hi,

When i check the OS properties it lists CAS, CIM, and SSH as the protocols.
          The OS is on a completely virtualized LPAR.
          - From the OS -> Related Resources -> Server -> Operating System Installed On = all marked OK here
          - From the VS just displayed -> Related Resources -> Server -> Server Hosts = all marked OK here
          - From the Host just displayed -> Related Resources -> Hardware Management Console = all marked OK here
          The NIM servers looks okay - it sees server, virtual server, and OS - all marked OK

There appears to be something goofy going on with my discovered VIOS which i suspect may have implications on this as my storage pools are on the VIOS.
          VIOS1 has the IP x.y.z.40 - i discover this OK.
          VIOS2 has the IP x.y.z.41 - i discover this and it adopts the IP of VIOS1 in ISD and VIOS1 goes away..??
          I request access and collect inventory and it shows as having both the 40 and 41 addresses.
          I've checked ifconfig and /etc/hosts - these are ok.

I'll do some more digging on this.
          • pmcwatt
            pmcwatt
            7 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T16:10:22Z  in response to pmcwatt
            Actually the storage pools being on the VIOS may be misleading in this situation as this is more relevant to "deploying" a virtual appliance rather than "capturing" one.
          • gcorneau
            gcorneau
            234 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T17:21:43Z  in response to pmcwatt
            You may have discovered the problem: duplicate keys causing discovery problems.

You'll have to:
            a. Remove the OS representation of the VIOS that has both IP addresses
            b. Change the SSH/CAS identifiers on one of the VIOS
            1. <as padmin> stopsvc director_agent
            2. <as padmin> stopnetsvc cimsys
            3. <as root> stopsrc -s sshd
            4. <as root> /usr/sbin/reset_diragent_keys
            This will reset the SSH host keys
            5. <as root> startsrc -s sshd
            6. <as padmin> startsvc director_agent
            c. Re-discover both VIOSes, they should discover as separate objects
            d. Re-inventory the entire stack: HMC, Host (server), Virtual I/O Servers and NIM Server

Glen Corneau
            • pmcwatt
              pmcwatt
              7 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-20T15:26:15Z  in response to gcorneau
              Hi,

I followed the steps (except i reset SSH keys on both VIOS) as per the previous post.
              (In doing this i also found that my / filesystem was full which probably didn't help either).
              I could then capture a virtual appliance from the running LPAR.

I had some issues with expired SSL Certificates on the NIM when trying to deploy but found that solution here:
              http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14874012&tstart=0

I was then able to deploy the virtual appliance to a new virtual machine.

THANKS for your assistance - now this is working i'll try Smart Cloud Entry for POWER.