Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-22T17:10:18Z by SystemAdmin
XAVN_benson_he
XAVN_benson_he
23 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic 8.0.1 upgrade - FAILED TO START PROCESS DESIGNER

‏2012-11-16T04:47:44Z |
OK, so I was brave enough to upgrade BPM 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 through Installation Manager Today. Packages upgraded were:
1. WAS 8.0.0.5
2. BPM 8.0.1 advanced

No errors occurred during the install. Then I started the server and opened Process Designer. Tried to login but got error saying
1. "Failed to initialize registry", and then I clicked login again -
2. "The version of Process Center (xxxx8010xxxxxx) and Process Designer (8000xxxxxxxxxxxx) do not match

Seems like there is a Process Designer upgrade that Installation Manager didnt pick up? Anyone else tried to upgrade?
Updated on 2012-11-22T17:10:18Z at 2012-11-22T17:10:18Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    3315 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: 8.0.1 upgrade - FAILED TO START PROCESS DESIGNER

‏2012-11-16T05:14:43Z  in response to XAVN_benson_he
    You can always un-install Process Designer and then download it from Process Center and install fresh. You shouldn't lose anything as Process Designer is only a client.

Neil
    • XAVN_benson_he
      XAVN_benson_he
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T05:24:00Z  in response to kolban
      Thanks, that's what I was going to do as well, but there seems to be more problems.

After I log into Process Center console, ALL my process apps are gone. Then I tried to create a new Process app, and got the following error:

com.lombardisoftware.gwtcommon.client.RepositoryException: PreparedStatementCallback; bad SQL grammar select SNAPSHOT_ID,CREATED_ON,NAME,ACRONYM,DESCRIPTION,SEQ_NUM,ERROR_COUNTER,ORIG_CREATED_ON,ACTIVATED_ON,STATUS,ARCHIVED_ON,LAST_MODIFIED,REPOSITORY_BRANCH_ID,CREATED_BY_USER_ID,BRANCH_ID,PROJECT_ID,LAST_MODIFIED_BY_USER_ID,CHANGE_DATA,IS_ACTIVE,IS_BLA_ACTIVE,IS_STARTED,IS_INSTALLED,IS_BLA_INSTALLED,IS_TIP_DEPLOYED,IS_DEFAULT,TIP_DEPLOYMENT_IN_PROGRESS,IS_ARCHIVED from LSW_SNAPSHOT where SNAPSHOT_ID = ?; nested exception is com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.SqlSyntaxErrorException: DB2 SQL Error: SQLCODE=-206, SQLSTATE=42703, SQLERRMC=TIP_DEPLOYMENT_IN_PROGRESS, DRIVER=4.12.55
      Unknown.cNb(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.tNb(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.obb(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.jbb(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.U8(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.R9(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.Ym(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.zn(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.sd(Unknown Source)
      Unknown.vd(Unknown Source)

Seems like there is something wrong with DB2. Anyone tried it?
    • XAVN_benson_he
      XAVN_benson_he
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T05:32:20Z  in response to kolban
      OK, so after some more investigation, it seems like that the "TIP_DEPLOYMENT_IN_PROGRESS" column does not exist in LSW_SNAPSHOT.

Is this a new column for 8.0.1? if so, how come the installation of 801 did not alter the tables?
      • kolban
        kolban
        3315 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T05:40:23Z  in response to XAVN_benson_he
        It wouldn't surprise me if we find that the Installation Manager "merely" lays down the binaries of the code for the 8.0.1 release and then ... after that has been done ... it is your responsibility to run an IBM supplied migration script to migrate the DB tables from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1.

This is not uncommon practice for IBM products.

eg. You have version X installed which has DB schemas installed at version X. Next you install the new code of the product which is at version X+1. But BEFORE you can start the new release of the software, you now need to run scripts provided by the new version X+1 release to get the DB schemas migrated to version X+1.

There is usually a few days latency after an IBM product release until the documentation is on the web (shame) so you are breaking new ground here as you may be the first to attempt this. I would take a pause and see if you can't find the documentation for 8.0.1 which should have a "migration from 8.0.0" set of articles. My clock says it is 11/15 at 11:41pm. In my part of the world, the product doesn't become available until "tomorrow".

Neil
        • XAVN_benson_he
          XAVN_benson_he
          23 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T05:52:16Z  in response to kolban
          The scripts at "C:\IBM\BPM\v8.0\dbscripts\ProcessServer\DB2" has the new columns (including TIP_DEPLOYMENT_IN_PROGRESS) so I think you are right, the binaries are installed but the DB scripts never ran. It would be good if the installation manager ran it for us since its already supplied with the 801 installation - shame it didn't.

I will wait a couple of days per your suggestion to see if they have some formal guides on how to run the DB scripts.
          • XAVN_benson_he
            XAVN_benson_he
            23 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T11:32:57Z  in response to XAVN_benson_he
            Problem solved.

I downloaded the entire 801 help documentation (because the online documentation is not ready yet), and followed the migration guide. Works like a charm.

I would suggest to just wait until the online help go live, the 600MB download is not worth it.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              7615 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T14:51:04Z  in response to XAVN_benson_he
              Congrats!

Seems like I am in the same boat. From where did you download the documentation? Passport Advantage? I have been able to upgrade my binaries. But unable to run scripts for DB updates. Any guidance on this will be helpful. I have three DB2 schemas - BPMDB, CMNDB and PDWDB

Ashish
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T18:08:55Z  in response to XAVN_benson_he
    Looks like documentation is online now.
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0m1/index.jsp
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-17T06:09:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Finally managed to upgrade my Windows Process Center to 8.0.1. Not too difficult I must see once I followed the documentation link provided by JonStruthers.

Next steps
      1. Upgrade Windows Process Server
      2. Upgrade ND environment to 8.0.1 on AIX.
      3. Explore whats new!

Stay tuned!

Ashish
      • kolban
        kolban
        3315 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T05:18:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Its kinda exciting. I exported all my TWX files and did a virgin install. I did this because I am a PoC builder and want to run my machine from "clean environments" which is what my potential users will also do.

So far so good.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-22T17:10:18Z  in response to XAVN_benson_he
    If additional command line scripts need to be run, and can't be automated, I think IBM Installation Manager should have a comment at the end of the installation reminding the user the database also needs to be updated and this is not automated by IBM Installation Manager and provide a link to the upgrade instructions. Just a simple one line at the end of the update in Installation Manager to remind the user the upgrade is not complete until the additional steps are done.

Over time users will learn that IBM Installation Manager doesn't do complete upgrade, but until wastes users time. Is this some sort tech right of passage? I think should harder has to be.