Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
13 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-07T14:07:35Z by Christian_Svensson
Christian_Svensson
Christian_Svensson
19 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic mmbackup mount tapes all the time

‏2012-11-15T08:52:32Z |
Hi their,
I have a Single node GPFS Cluster based on 3.5.0.5 and running TSM GPFS/BA Client 6.3.0.17 running on a SLES 11 SP2 (x86_64)
I only use my GPFS cluster to archive (HSM) data to our TSM environment.
But every day when I run mmbackup do I see that mmbackup always request for media all the time and this slows down the backup A LOT.

Any ideas why mmbackup mount my take all the time? Basically does mmbackup request over 100 tapes a day for me.

Thanks
Christian
Updated on 2012-12-07T14:07:35Z at 2012-12-07T14:07:35Z by Christian_Svensson
  • HajoEhlers
    HajoEhlers
    251 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: mmbackup mount tapes all the time

‏2012-11-15T12:46:22Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
    Short question: What will happen if you migrate files which shell be backed up but are migrated before the backup ?
    • m_strnad
      m_strnad
      36 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-15T18:51:05Z  in response to HajoEhlers
      It mainly depends on the TSM storage pools you use for migration and backups. If you migrate to the same storage pool as you back up, nothing happnes except of additional TSM DB entries. If the migration target storage pool is different from the one used for back ups then the data is copied within TSM.
      • Christian_Svensson
        Christian_Svensson
        19 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T16:50:31Z  in response to m_strnad
        Hi,
        We have setup our system where MMBACKUP send all it's data to BACKUPDISK pool and that data will be migrated once a day to a BACKUPTAPE pool.
        Our HSM migration are sending all data to SPACEDISK pool that will migrate all that data once a day to SPACETAPE pool.

If I understand you correctly, because of MMBACKUP and GPFS HSM command are sending the data to two different storage pools, TSM will then automatic recall the data?

The solution to stop all the recalls is to let MMBACKUP and GPFS HSM migration to send it data to the same storage pool?

Thanks
        Christian
        • m_strnad
          m_strnad
          36 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-22T11:50:41Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
          No. The migrated data should not be recalled, but they need to be copied from the SPACETAPE pool to BACKUPDISK pool.

From TSM documentation:
          "To back up your files after you migrate them, assign a management class to your files that does not include the requirement for an existing backup version. If you back up files to the same server to which you migrated them, files are copied from the migration destination to the backup destination. Files are not recalled to your local file system."

You can check the migration status of your files using the dsmmigquery command.
          • Christian_Svensson
            Christian_Svensson
            19 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T10:35:10Z  in response to m_strnad
            Hi,
            But I can't migrate the files until TSM have backed up the files.
            So why should TSM "restore/recall/migrate" files between does two pools if a backup are require before migration?

I think their is a setup issue here somewhere. But need to find out how and why.

/Christian
            • Christian_Svensson
              Christian_Svensson
              19 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T11:29:47Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
              Hi,
              I think I have found the problem. When I do ls in one directory I get a media mount in TSM.
              So it feels like GPFS have migrate the directories also.
              But if I run ls multiple times I got the same problem.

Any ideas what this can be?

Thanks
              Christian
              • HajoEhlers
                HajoEhlers
                251 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T12:47:49Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
                Does the same happen if you do a "echo *" or a "find ."? I assume not.

If not please run "env | grep -i ls" and unset all variables like LS_OPTIONS LS_COLORS a.s.o. After that do a ls again and check how the systems behaves.

Next question:
                What is the file system version ? - You mention that GPFS 3.5.0.5 is used but i think the GPFS has been created with an earliere version of GPFS .

My current thought is that your "ls" is doing more than a directory lookup meaning it is accessing the file as well ( to determine file type a.s.o ) or reading some extra attributes which are stored with the file. I think the later is not valid anymore for GPFS created with version 3.4 or 3.5
                • Christian_Svensson
                  Christian_Svensson
                  19 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T15:14:23Z  in response to HajoEhlers
                  Hi,
                  The ls environment did help for the faster listing.
                  But still have problem with tape mounts.

You asked for what version the filesystem was created on. I think we did create the FS with version 3.4.0.?
                  How can I see that on a easy way?

/Christian
                  • Christian_Svensson
                    Christian_Svensson
                    19 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T15:16:18Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
                    Found it. 3.4.0.7 did we install the FS with.
                    Is that something I can upgrade?

/Christian
                    • HajoEhlers
                      HajoEhlers
                      251 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T16:46:48Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
                      The FS version be can seen via

mmlsfs MyGpfs -V --create-time

You also did not mention the behavior of the system for the "echo" or "find" command.

In any way i would run a strace from linux to see what happen ( Best on the same node where the hsm damon is running ).

Glen mentioned also the GPFS faq which has a topic about the backup of snapshot which can cause later recalls. Maybe related to your environment but not mentioned so far by you - are you using snapshots ?
                      • Christian_Svensson
                        Christian_Svensson
                        19 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T16:54:02Z  in response to HajoEhlers
                        Hi,
                        The find and echo did work much faster and when I change the environment variables then did it go much faster to do ls in my directories.

But I have now upgrade the filesystem from 12.10 (3.4.0.7) to 13.01 (3.5.0.0) and start a new mmbackup of the filesystem.

About your question on Snapshot. No we are not using snapshots. We are only using dsmmigrate and mmbackup on this filesystem.

Just to update of my environment. I have upgrade to TSM BA Client 6.4.0.0 and GPFS version 3.5.0.6

Thanks
                        Christian
                        • Christian_Svensson
                          Christian_Svensson
                          19 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T14:07:35Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
                          Hi,
                          I'm glad to announce that I think my mounting problem have been solve.
                          As soon I upgrade the Cluster and Filesystem to the same level as the binary then did everything work as it should.

No media mount during mmbackup for recall the last 20 hours and the speed we have now is approx 250MB/s instead of 80MB/s on a SATA disk subsystem.

Thanks for the help everyone
                          Christian
  • gcorneau
    gcorneau
    148 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-15T16:16:50Z  in response to Christian_Svensson
    Could this be related?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clresctr/vxrx/topic/com.ibm.cluster.gpfs.doc/gpfs_faqs/gpfsclustersfaq.html#backup

Glen Corneau
    IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills