Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-13T09:01:19Z by MyDeveloerWorks
MyDeveloerWorks
MyDeveloerWorks
15 Posts

Pinned topic 1 Requirement with several test cases.

‏2012-11-12T09:12:18Z |
Hello DOORS community,

I have to generate a report of a set of requirements and their attributes including whether the test cases they are linked to have passed,failed or exempt. Now I know that 1 requriment should be mapped to one test case, nevertheless I have been given a DOORS module to work with that has a lot of requirements mapped to more than 1 test case. I dont have a strategy to deal with this in DXL.

Is it reasonable for me to go back to the project manager and ask if their DOORS modules can be reviewed and Requirements with multiple test cases should be copied using the DOORS copy object function or dealt with some other way?

regards

Colm
Updated on 2012-11-13T09:01:19Z at 2012-11-13T09:01:19Z by MyDeveloerWorks
  • llandale
    llandale
    643 Posts

Re: 1 Requirement with several test cases.

‏2012-11-12T22:37:33Z  
    The standard method of Exporting is to create a view in DOORS of things you want to export, then export that view.

I note you say "Generate a report of requirements..". This means to me you figure you want a report where each row is a requirement. If so you need a layout or attr-DXL in the Requirement module summarizing all linked Test cases. You can use the analysis wizard to display the info you want but then you'll need to edit the clumsy layout DXL to format it the way you want. Seems to me you want to filter the module based on whether there are any test cases. Once the column looks good, convert to att-DXL and display that attr, and in any event save the view.

-Louie

Not sure that a requirement should always have a single test-case. "Vending machine shall dispense change" needs to be tested in a few scenarios, not just one.
  • ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    28 Posts

‏2012-11-12T23:05:02Z  
    Hi Colm,
    Can you describe the report you are trying to generate in more details please? There may be ways to achive what you require

I don't think its necessarily a problem if 1 requirement is linked to more than one test case, but there are limits.
    For example 1 requirement linked to 2 test cases might be ok, but 1 requirement linked to 200 text cases probably isn't.

It would also depend on the the requirement level you are linking to I think

However i am not aware of any hard and fast rules here.

The other point which you touched on is the requirement itself.

I don't think its appropriate to just copy the requirements object multiple times to create a one to one relationship to the test cases.
    The requirement text needs to e reviewed to see if its too vague , unclear, not atomic etc. Then the object can be "split" based on these criteria.

Dont know if this helps but might be useful discussion points
  • MyDeveloerWorks
    MyDeveloerWorks
    15 Posts

‏2012-11-13T09:01:19Z  
    Hi Colm,
    Can you describe the report you are trying to generate in more details please? There may be ways to achive what you require

I don't think its necessarily a problem if 1 requirement is linked to more than one test case, but there are limits.
    For example 1 requirement linked to 2 test cases might be ok, but 1 requirement linked to 200 text cases probably isn't.

It would also depend on the the requirement level you are linking to I think

However i am not aware of any hard and fast rules here.

The other point which you touched on is the requirement itself.

I don't think its appropriate to just copy the requirements object multiple times to create a one to one relationship to the test cases.
    The requirement text needs to e reviewed to see if its too vague , unclear, not atomic etc. Then the object can be "split" based on these criteria.

Dont know if this helps but might be useful discussion points
    Hello Chris,

The level of 1:n complexity is low. I am dealing with 1 SR to a max of 3 or 4 TCs.

The report consists of the Req ID and three other 3 attributes (e.g. of type boolean IsImplemented) and 3 attributes which I brought in from the Verification module using the Wizard, which I then applied the Convert Layout DXL to Attribute DXL.
    (Yes, I would do well filter the module for links as Louie recommends :).

I attach a screen shot of the part of the module which is causing the issue. I have been able to piece together some dxl to output SRs with 1 TC. At the moment I am wrestling with finding the dxl lines code that would allow to position the second TC result correct excel column. At the moment the word "EXEMPT" is misaligned and appears directly under my SYS REQ100.
    The "Enhanced Export to Excel" from Galatic has some functions that look handy. I will study this.