Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-14T20:06:05Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1130 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Extend and Include between the use cases?

‏2012-11-11T19:46:19Z |
I have the following scenario:

When a customer registers he needs to enter his details, choose a subscription period and take a subscription - so TakeSubscription is included in Register.

However, a customer is allowed to take a subscription without registering, in which case he will be asked to register as part of taking the subscription, so Register becomes an extension point of TakeSubscription.

Can I have both <<include>> and <<extend>> between the same two use cases like in the attached diagram or is it wrong? Is so, how should I model it so that the model is valid?
Updated on 2012-11-14T20:06:05Z at 2012-11-14T20:06:05Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Extend and Include between the use cases?

‏2012-11-14T07:27:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    It seems to me, you just have to be a registered subscriber in the first place so just make your take subscription the base use case and extend the registration as shown in my diagram. There is a diagram I did along with a basic flow of events. I think having a use case perform in this manner although is feasible may not be robust. By that I mean, the separation of concern is a little muddy when you do this which makes this design to dependent. Take a look at what i did and let me know what you think.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1130 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-14T17:28:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you for your answer. The way you did it seems to make more sense than what I was doing.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1130 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-14T20:06:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You are very welcome, just a little detail i did not put in the Take Subscription use case; the extension point should be added to that use case so it shows where in the basic flow of Take Subscription it occurs. It occurs (or extends) after step 3 if invoked.