3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-20T08:07:49Z by jsant60
MLAS
MLAS
11 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CPU Core temperature

‏2012-11-08T20:13:40Z |
Hi,

I´ve a Intellistation 9228 Z Pro with a two Processors (Xeon 5160, 3 GHz) installed.
According to ´CPUID Hardware Monitor´ and ´SpeedFan´ the four Cores get pretty hot.
I measure values when just idling around of 160 degrees Fahrenheit and they increase to 185 F when any serious numbercrunching is involved like converting Videofiles to another format.
Both the CPU´s have the original cooling and the attached fans are spinning.
I checked the coolingpaste and the coolingblocks seem to attach firmly against the CPU heatspreaders.
The system already experienced two overheating problems according to the systemlog in the BIOS.
System is operated in an open environment with average ambient temperatures.

Is this normal for this type of IBM workstation?
Updated on 2012-11-20T08:07:49Z at 2012-11-20T08:07:49Z by jsant60
  • jsant60
    jsant60
    52 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CPU Core temperature

‏2012-11-11T06:27:41Z  in response to MLAS
    Of course, it is not a good thing to have the processor overheat, but since they are identified as fru parts, ibm will be happy to sell you replacement processors as they fail.

Two generations and earlier 'Zs' (6221 and before) were criticised for operating very loud as a result of noisy fans running at high speed to keep the processors at a reasonable temperature. It would seem that ibm may have criticism to the opposite extreme in the final 2 generations of 'Zs' (the 6223 and 9228) by coding the bios to keep the fans running slowly until the processor core temp reached the supposed Tmax. I say supposed, because what intel publishes and what they tell ibm can be two very different things. Using 6223s, the published tmax is 73c for my processors, and the fans will just idle until a temp of about 70c is reached. The bios is quite happy trying to maintain 68 to 78c in these machines.

So, I am not suprised at the temps you report in the 9228. You indicate that you have a solution in hand, why not use it? Just set up speedfan to control the fan speeds/ processor temps; that's what I do. You'll use Configure and the Temperatures, Speed, and Advanced tabs to specify the temp range to maintain, individual fan speed range, and whether Speedfan should directly monitor and control temps and associated fan speeds.

Keeping the processors in my systems operating between 43 and 58c is a simple chore for Speedfan under any load.

You should know that even if you have the heatsinks properly attached, you might see up to 10c difference in the operating temps of individual processsors. This is a function of the electrical and mechanical characteristics of each die (assuming you DO have the sinks correctly attached).
    • MLAS
      MLAS
      11 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-17T23:45:07Z  in response to jsant60
      Thank you very much for your elaborate reply.
      I was afraid to get no reaction at all so I´m delighted you´ve send one.

I find it very hard to control the speed of both the CPU fans.
      I cannot correlate them at the advanced fan control tab in Speedfan.
      When I hit the F1 key at startup I can go to systemmonitor and see them both but Speedfan designates them just an number and a monitoring chip like the ADT7470 or ADT7452.

I´ve read the online help with Speedfan but it did not give me a clue how to solve this.
      Any further suggestions?
      • jsant60
        jsant60
        52 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-20T08:07:49Z  in response to MLAS
        1. You can probably get a more self-serving answer by looking at various blogs on speedfan.

2. If someone has uploaded a template of the same machine or motherboard, you will answer 90% of your questions if you are able to retrieve their configuration. (INFO/ get config).

3. SF knows nothing about the machine itself, only the control pins of the various monitor chips. Any sensor pins that are way off (255 or 0) can be ignored as unused and their labels un-ticked (so they don't display).

4. If you cannot retrieve a config, you will have to manually determine which sensor pins are used for heat and voltage and which PWM pins control which fans.

5. It's quite possible that both cpu fans are controlled by a single PWMn pin. The 'value' choices for PWM mode are unique to the control chip(s) installed. But there probably is an 'always on' or 'disabled' choice that can be used to help determine which fans are controlled by which output. If you have the 'manually controlled' option under PWM mode, that completely removes the bios from the control loop. SF will control the fans based on the temp range you have input for each sensor. Once you have identified which inputs and outputs control which fans and sensors, go into CONFIGURE and slowly doubleclick the generic function labels and edit them to something meaningful to you. SF uses function names as they are identified by the chip manufacturer. It does not know how a computer maker connects them on a motherboard.

6. You may need to change any 'temp x offset' to -64 if the reported temp is absurdly high.

7. Be sure to tick 'auto fan speed' on the display window to cause sf to begin controlling the fans based on the temp range and speed range you have entered.

8. You can easily download the pdf data sheets for the sensor chips to better understand their capability. And try re-reading the help info methodically, it has a simplistic but functional how-to.