4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-08T14:17:35Z by SystemAdmin
Vipsy
Vipsy
37 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rhapsody and Clearcase

‏2012-11-07T22:04:28Z |
Rhapsody 76 help for setting up Clearcase integration states :
"Rational Rhapsody files must be of the rhp_file type, and not the text_file type (which is the factory default"

and recommends converting Rational Rhapsody units that are already stored under a Rational ClearCase VOB from the text_file type to the rhp_file type(binary).

I'm trying understand the rationale behind this.AFAIK Rhapsody diffmerge works on the unit files which are text-based.
Updated on 2012-11-08T14:17:35Z at 2012-11-08T14:17:35Z by SystemAdmin
  • Jeff_Cohen
    Jeff_Cohen
    71 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rhapsody and Clearcase

‏2012-11-08T00:57:26Z  in response to Vipsy
    You are more than 3/4 right. Diff/Merge works on text files (the .sbs files for example) but open one up (Read Only please) with a text editor and you will see LOTS of things that are not intuitively obvious to the casual observer.

What you care about are the changes to the code. That is what Diff/Merge will help you find. Using CC's diff merge will show you lots of differences AND you may screw things up when you merge.
    • Vipsy
      Vipsy
      37 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T08:11:04Z  in response to Jeff_Cohen
      Thanks Jeff.
      I'm assuming Rhapsody DiffMerge would work irrespective of what 'base' element type is used ( text,binary or compressed ) in Clearcase when creating a new element type.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
      However from your last post I understand that 'text' type is not recommended as the unit files could include non-printable ASCII characters so would rather go for either of the other two.
      • RFelice
        RFelice
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T14:12:20Z  in response to Vipsy
        The rhp_file type is actually based on the text_file as its super type. Creating the rhp_file type offers the advantage that the Rational Rhapsody DiffMerge tool can be launched directly from the Rational ClearCase version tree tool.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1305 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T14:17:35Z  in response to RFelice
          It was recommended by ClearCase experts to make rhp file types based on binary type.
          Please see http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27015886.