Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-06T22:59:54Z by SystemAdmin
csfrankland
csfrankland
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Worklight app - Can I deploy to WAS 8 box?

‏2012-11-06T17:07:32Z |
Hi,

We are developing our first beta mobile app using Worklight. Quick question. We will need to deploy the application to our WAS 8 box (to utilize the datasources etc.) and I wondered what the process is to do this and if it is possible?

Thanks.
  • jaalger
    jaalger
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Worklight app - Can I deploy to WAS 8 box?

‏2012-11-06T18:41:02Z  in response to csfrankland
    I just have a quick question in order to understand your issue. Are you trying to deploy an application (wlapp) to a WAS 8 box or are you talking about running Worklight on the box? Either way there is some good documentation here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mobile/worklight/getting-started/documentation.html

The admin guide will show you how to setup Worklight on WAS as well as show you how to deploy applications.

Regards,
    Joshua
  • csfrankland
    csfrankland
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-06T18:49:16Z  in response to csfrankland
    Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the response. Not quite sure if I am failing to understand exactly how Worklight applications operate, but here is a little more info. about what we are trying to accomplish:

i) The mobile app will utilize adapters extensively and be deployed to the app stores (iOS and Android) and accessible to the general public
    ii) It will need to access various REST services that will reside on the WAS box.

Am I correct in my understanding that Worklight apps can be deployed to iOS and Android stores? What I don't really understand is, if they are deployed to the stores, then what part of the app exactly is hosted on WAS?

Thanks.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2327 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-06T22:59:54Z  in response to csfrankland
      "Am I correct in my understanding that Worklight apps can be deployed to iOS and Android stores?"

Yes.

"What I don't really understand is, if they are deployed to the stores, then what part of the app exactly is hosted on WAS?"

See my replies here for more details:
      https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14901085

Here's what I answered someone with a similar question:
      "I believe you just need to upload the binaries to the Application Stores (.apk for Android for example). When you make changes to the HTML/CSS/JS files and re-deploy the application on your Worklight Server, clients that got the app from an Application Store will connect to your Worklight Server, see the update and update over the air. Changes to native code require you to re-submit the application though. The store hosts the binary you uploaded, everything else lives on your server."

As a side comment:

• If you can access your REST service via normal HTTP requests AND you can run the Worklight Server (either the Developer Edition with the embedded jetty server or installing the paid version on WAS, Liberty or Tomcat) you should be able to make HTTP adapters that get resources from your existing REST service infrastructure. Those Adapters are server-side components that are not part of the code base for Android or iOS (or BB or...) Applications, thus never become part of what you upload to the Application Stores.