• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-23T09:25:03Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
340 Posts

Pinned topic ILMT v7.5 agents

‏2012-11-06T14:47:28Z |
Hi,

I would like to find out if there are disadvantages to using ILMT v7.2 agents with a v7.5 server. Could not find anything in the documentation or announcements ...

Thanks for your help.
Updated on 2012-11-23T09:25:03Z at 2012-11-23T09:25:03Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

Re: ILMT v7.5 agents

‏2012-11-06T20:58:49Z  
    Hi Marc,

First of all, in PA agreement, you agreed to:
    "promptly install new versions, releases, modifications, or code corrections (“fixes”) of the ILMT that IBM makes available."
    From your point of view, keeping agents in version 7.2, does it fulfill above point of the license?

Saying v7.2 what version do you mean?

The last fix for 7.2.0 and 7.2.1 was delivered to the market a year ago. Simple conclusion from this fact is, that any non functional corrections regarding such things as performance that were implemented since then, are simply not included in such agents.

So far fixes to agents 7.2.2 and 7.5 are quite often.
    Fixes to 7.2.2 are delivered on monthly basis, however this will change very soon because less and less importance will be given to that release. Agents in version 7.5 are patched every month as well.

Moreover in current way of fixes delivery process, you have some enhancements that enter the scope of every fix. They are provided especially to 7.5 agents. Some of those enhancements are also introduced to 7.2.2 fixes. You cannot count on such enhancements for previous versions (7.2.1 and 7.2.0).

Last but not least, only agents in version 7.5 fully support all functionality delivered in 7.5 and called automated bundling.

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool

Regards,
    Michal
    Updated on 2012-11-06T20:58:49Z at 2012-11-06T20:58:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

‏2012-11-13T06:02:50Z  
    Thank you for your response Michal,

What functionality does one lose when using v7.1 or v7.2 agents compared to v7.5 agents ? Would the sw bundling be less reliable ?
    For many products I read the indication that there is no other option of bundling ("No other bundling options available"), while the products are DB2, WAS which can be part of so many IBM licenses.

Regards,

Marc
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

‏2012-11-23T09:25:03Z  
    Thank you for your response Michal,

What functionality does one lose when using v7.1 or v7.2 agents compared to v7.5 agents ? Would the sw bundling be less reliable ?
    For many products I read the indication that there is no other option of bundling ("No other bundling options available"), while the products are DB2, WAS which can be part of so many IBM licenses.

Regards,

Marc
    Hi Marc,

Unfortunately I do not keep the list with enhancement/fixes that were done to agents in consecutive ILMT releases/interim fixes/fix packs. However as a good reference I can provide you that 73 APARs were included just in the latest Fix Pack 1 to ILMT 7.5.

Software automated bundling will be less reliable by not having 'Software network connections' method. The data for this method can provide only the agents since version 7.5.0.0.

Anyway, talking about the bundling we should much more rely on our licenses records than on ILMT tool. ILMT toll, according to built-in automated bundling rules, can just suggests that particular bundling is more probable than other (Confidence value). Please mind, it may not be the true.

For "No other bundling available" I would prefer to start new thread. Let's not put everything to the one pocket. In general, when there is just one connection component-product in Software Catalog, and an instance of such component is discovered in the infrastructure, ILMT will automatically bundle it to that product with the explanation you sent (by the way confidence in such case is always 100%).

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool