Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-07T01:02:14Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
102 Posts

Pinned topic iSeries Access for Windows Data Transfer problem

‏2012-11-06T06:24:36Z |
Hi, When there are Japanese Kanji - double byte Japanese Characters(actually Chinese characters) in physical file, the PC txt file records become incorrect by using iSeries Access for Windows Data Transfer. All fields after the double byte Japanese characters shift two bytes to the left. Please find attached for reference.

Is there anyway to solve this problem ?
Updated on 2012-11-07T01:02:14Z at 2012-11-07T01:02:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • KevinLWright
    KevinLWright
    4 Posts

Re: iSeries Access for Windows Data Transfer problem

‏2012-11-06T21:23:03Z  
    I think this is due to the difference in representation of DBCS in a mixed SBCS DBCS sequence of characters. EBCDIC requires a shift out character preceding a sequence of DBCS characters and a shift in character succeeding a sequence of DBCS characters, while ASCII does not.

What this means is that a mixed SBCS DBCS sequence of character may look like this:
    CCCODDDDDDICCC - EBCDIC
    CCCDDDDDDCCC - ASCII

where
    C represents a single byte character
    O represents the shift out character
    DD represents a double byte character
    I represents the shift in character.

It can be seen that the 1st single byte character following DBCS is displaced 2 characters to the left in the ASCII representation.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

Re: iSeries Access for Windows Data Transfer problem

‏2012-11-07T01:02:14Z  
    I think this is due to the difference in representation of DBCS in a mixed SBCS DBCS sequence of characters. EBCDIC requires a shift out character preceding a sequence of DBCS characters and a shift in character succeeding a sequence of DBCS characters, while ASCII does not.

What this means is that a mixed SBCS DBCS sequence of character may look like this:
    CCCODDDDDDICCC - EBCDIC
    CCCDDDDDDCCC - ASCII

where
    C represents a single byte character
    O represents the shift out character
    DD represents a double byte character
    I represents the shift in character.

It can be seen that the 1st single byte character following DBCS is displaced 2 characters to the left in the ASCII representation.
    Thank you very much Kelvin.

Is there any option in Client Access to fix it during data transfer?