Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-06T15:51:51Z by SystemAdmin
KageBunshin
KageBunshin
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic please analyze this java core dump. No apparent deadlocks or memory issue

‏2012-11-05T13:53:09Z |
Hello All,

My java application recently dumped this core file and exited. Please see attached dump file. (Since then I have restarted my java application and it is working fine) There doesn't seem to be any dead locks or memory issues in the core file. I am unable to seek the cause of this core dump. This is for my production environment. Please help me pin point this issue. I am not able to get IBM thread and monitor dump analyzer to analyze this file. I have mainly looked at interpreting dump files from the IBM diagnostic guide online but do not have a direction for solving this. Your guidance is highly appreciated. Thanks

-cheers
Arvind
Updated on 2012-11-06T15:51:51Z at 2012-11-06T15:51:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2736 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: please analyze this java core dump. No apparent deadlocks or memory issue

‏2012-11-05T14:46:07Z  in response to KageBunshin
    Hi,

At this point there probably isn't enough information in just the javacore to see what the true cause of the problem is, but I can say that the crash occurred while a finalizer was trying to close a FileOutputStream.

To know any more would mean looking at the full system core that the JVM should have created at the same time (unless AIX has been configured to prevent this). If you have the core file then you can open PMR to have the support team look at this as this for you.

You appear to be running a very old service release of the IBM Java 5.0 from 2006, if the problem possible I would suggest trying to move up to the very latest release as this will both help to eliminate previously fixed problems and should improve the quality of the data captured in the event of another failure.

Also please remember that this forum is not meant to be a replacement for the proper formal support process, while we are always willing to help and offer advice if you need support for a production system you should engaged the support teams via your AIX support contract.

Ben Hardill
    • KageBunshin
      KageBunshin
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-06T15:28:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks Ben for the insights. I managed to get the IBM thread and monitor dump analyzer look at the javacore file and have attached the one of the results also. I could not get much from the results though other than the -XCheck:jni JVM option which I will try (I am not able to reproduce the JVM crash though). I don't know why the finalizer caused the crash while trying to close some FileOutputStream. I have also passed on your recommendation to follow this issue up with IBM. I don't remember seeing the system core file that you mention. You mentioned that we can disable the system core option in AIX. Is this one of the options for the JVM argument '-XDump' or is this some setting in AIX? Thanks again

-cheers
      Arvind
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2736 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-06T15:51:51Z  in response to KageBunshin
        Hi,

Yeah, without a system core to dig a bit deeper into it, there is little more that can be currently said at this point.

Core files can be disabled with the -Xdump option, but I don't think I saw that in the javacore. They can be disabled also at the AIX level by setting the core ulimit to 0 or I think they can also be disabled in smitty (System Environments > Change/Show Characteristics of Operating System).

Ben