Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-09T17:12:09Z by gue22
gue22
gue22
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Service DB2COPY1 was stopped with error -1042

‏2012-11-02T20:59:38Z |
When I install a program on Windows I normally expect it to work and don´t have to jump through all kinds of hoops... (This is the friendliest version of how I can express my feelings now.) All other DBMSes we support with our product and I tried worked "out of the box".

Something like this (in German) is in the Windows Server 2008 R2 System error log:
Service DB2COPY1 was stopped with error -1042

Google didn´t tell...
Thanks for any help
G.
Updated on 2012-11-09T17:12:09Z at 2012-11-09T17:12:09Z by gue22
  • nivanov1
    nivanov1
    53 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Service DB2COPY1 was stopped with error -1042

‏2012-11-02T21:27:44Z  in response to gue22
    This error typically means that some of the DB2 installation steps were not successfully completed. If you were willing to jump through some hoops, I'd suggest you looked earlier in the event log, as there's probably another error message indicating the root cause of the issue. An alternative would be to look in the DB2 diagnostic log (db2diag.log).
    • gue22
      gue22
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-04T13:10:54Z  in response to nivanov1
      Thanks for the suggestion!
      The installation with the "Service stopped with error -1042" was my second one. I found out that the DB2 service of the exact similar install works on the other machine!

Both installs are on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. One on a Core 2 Duo T9550 laptop with 4GB and the other on a Core 2 Quad Q9300 w/ 8GB.

I repeated the first install painstakingly on the laptop to check that I had done everything correctly and jotted down the settings.

I´m a bit suspicious about Win Server and all the Role and Feature thingies that tend to intervene, but as the service runs on the tower this should be a non-issue.

The (other) thing I found strange is that the service defaults to run under the db2admin account. All other services run under Local System or Service or as a Network Service.

Further I find it strange that one is supposed to dig in the Win Start menu after "Install finished successfully" to choose the standard DB2 copy, but I did that.

With the second install I found out about db2val.
      The next strange thing is that db2val reports the same "Instance check failed code 5" for both installations - a rights issue, even though the service doesn´t run at all on the laptop.

Just did a third install on a Windows 7 Hyper-V machine with the DB2 services configured to run under Local System. Will be "interesting". <sigh>
      Later
      G.
      • gue22
        gue22
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-06T18:26:01Z  in response to gue22
        I still hope that someone will take care of some questions and new issues, but there are some positive news too.

New issues discovered:
        I know there is a warning that one should not run IBM SSH if some other prg is already installed, but I did sure not expect that it would literally cause MS Remote Desktop to crash! If RD hadn´t worked, yes, but crash on login?!

Windows security WAS checked in the installer, but Groups DB2ADMINS and DB2USERS were not created unless I unchecked and checked the box - which changed the Groups from greyed out to black / enabled. I only noticed that at the third install on a Hyper-V Windows 7 VM.

This may be the cause that even logging in as db2admin wouldn´t help start DB2.

Finally I realized that only changing the server service to Local System didn´t do the trick alone, but only when I changed the other DB2-related services too.
        Thanks for any insight
        G.
        • gue22
          gue22
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-07T21:20:18Z  in response to gue22
          More blunders:
          db2prereqcheck complains that Windows Server 2008 SP1 is not sufficient for 10.1. SP2 needed.

But it´s a Win Server 2008 ***R2*** and AFAIK there is no SP2!!!

I may be turning insane, but I think DB2 on the laptop worked yesterday after changing all DB2 services to Local System, but today it did not.

On the tower and on the Win 7 Hyper-V VM (the latter with the services under .\db2admin rights) I can
          connect to sample
          select * from staff
          in the CLP!

db2val says on both DB2COPY1 install ok, but complains about rights for the DB2 instance.

After a reinstall on the laptop (and changing the services to Local System for the second try) it´s still error -1042 for DB2COPY1 and -22204 for DB2DAS.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            5837 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T09:59:11Z  in response to gue22
            Please post the DB2 version.
            Are you seeing this error while installing DB2 or while starting DB2 instance?
            Thanks
            • gue22
              gue22
              7 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T11:00:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Sorry for the first one: I implied this is a DB2 10.1 forum and that you´d imply I´d be using the latest version when I go about to install one.
              So, 10.1.

Second: There are many implications that I used all kinds of commands AFTER "successful" installation. The errors happen when I start the services from Win Computer Management.

Thx
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                5837 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T12:28:15Z  in response to gue22
                Okkhay fine, have you changed any system configuration recently like domain name, password etc?
                Thanks
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  5837 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T12:29:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Okkhay fine, have you changed any system configuration recently like domain name, password etc after installation?
                  Thanks
                  • gue22
                    gue22
                    7 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-09T17:12:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Nope. Install went fine. This time even the DB2ADMINS group got installed and I immediately added the Administrator to that group under that I logged in.

When this threw the error(s) I changed (in the MS Management Console) all 7 (!) DB2 services to Local System with "Data exchange between desktop and service" - which at least works on the tower, but no luck here.

Thx