download Android app through worklight application center is simple(upload to the server,and download from browser). we don't need to care about the code sign(exclude package need to sign with release key), the provisioning requirment.
But, IOS app is quite different.
it requires provisioning profile, distribution profile, xcode,etc.
My question is:
if apple IOS device want to download WL app from WL application center,
WL developer need to make sure:
1)the developer team should register and pay for the developer program?
2)the wl IOS package should be extract from xcode using correct profile?
3)which is the correct profile? distribution profile, or provisioning profile?
4)Does the IOS device need to be authorised from the Apple developer console to gain permission?(PS:each developer program allows up to 100 devices to be registered for testing purpose)
5)if point 4 is true, does it mean that WL application center is just suitable for small group of users?
NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
This topic has been locked.
6 replies Latest Post - 2012-11-06T01:43:16Z by shu1
Pinned topic download IOS app through worklight application center
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
qcduong 060000V30R30 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: download IOS app through worklight application center2012-11-01T11:00:02Z in response to kai_huang2012hi,
I want start off by saying that Worklight Application Center does not have any user limits.
I find that this link has pretty useful informational:
If your company has a enterprise license, you can register multiple developers and sign your apps using the enterprise cert with distribution profile and does not require you to register the devices.
shu1 1200006NXW2 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: download IOS app through worklight application center2012-11-02T01:58:35Z in response to kai_huang2012as of today, Apple "Enterprise" Developer program allows us to distribute iOS apps to INTERNAL users of the licensed company, without registering their devices as the testing device.
In my experience, with the following steps, I can distribute testing apps to my team, whom devices is not registered as the testing device.
1. Contract with Apple the "Enterprise" Developer program.
2. As "Admin" user for the Apple's provisioning portal, create the "iOS Distribution Certificate" of your enterprise, and create a "Distribution" provisioning profile.
3. Build an iOS app using Xcode's "Archive" menu.
4. In Xcode Organizer, "distribute" the app using "Enterprise or Adhoc" option, signing with the "Distribution" provisioning profile created at step 2. (You should have "iOS Distribution Certificate" and it's private key installed on your Key Chain).
5. Deploy the .ipa file created at the step 4. to Application Center.
6. Install the .ipa from the App Center.
So the answer to your question is,
1) Yes. And recommend that "Enterprise" program if you have more than 100 users.
3) It depends. If you want to distribute the app, to users who are not developer, you should use Distribution Profile.
4) It depends. No, if you use the Enterprise distribution profile. Yes if you use the Development provisioning profile.
5) No, as the above explained.
Hope this helps.
Re: download IOS app through worklight application center2012-11-05T00:35:38Z in response to kai_huang2012thanks for the sharing. However the answer does not explicitly point out the solution to resolve our issue with WL application center.
Now the problem our WL app has is, we can install the WL IOS app onto our IPAD device through the use of a cable, but failed to download the application through Application center.
also a bit about what we have:
-using apple developer program for doing it;
-has (enterprise version)WL application center installed.
-using enterprise ad-hoc to generate the .ipa package for Application center to use, -package sign up with the same profile as to deploy app on device using cable
what we want to find out are,
1)is an apple enterprise certificate really can solve the issue?
2)"INTERNAL users of the licensed company" -does this mean the application center will just available for internal users of the licensed company to use? in other word, Application center can not be an alternative of the APPLE app store?
shu1 1200006NXW2 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: download IOS app through worklight application center2012-11-06T01:43:16Z in response to kai_huang2012You are "iOS Developer Program" user (not iOS Enterprise Program user), right?
You can install the iOS app through App Center, by signing the app with Distribution profile, created with the iOS Developer Program.
However, the Developer Program version of the Distribution profile need to be associated with the Device (that the app to be installed), using the Apple's Provisioning portal or the Organizer.
Thus the number of the devices is limited to 100.
You might not registered the device or associated it with the Distribution profile.
1) Yes. With the Enterprise Developer Program, it is not necessary to register Device as testing device.
2) As I understood the Apple's license term for use, Yes.