Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-07T16:35:52Z by JCanipe
JCanipe
JCanipe
31 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Using native Eclipse to interact with /FNCEWS40SOAP

‏2012-10-30T01:32:49Z |
When building a java client web service to interact with FNCEWS40SOAP or FNCEWS40MTOM hosted on Websphere 7.0, is there a requirement to use IBM RAD IDE or can I use native Eclipse (Eclipse download without RAD)? If I can use native Eclipse, do I pull the P8 wsdl down and build the stubs using an AXIS or AXIS2 client?
Updated on 2012-11-07T16:35:52Z at 2012-11-07T16:35:52Z by JCanipe
  • JCanipe
    JCanipe
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Using native Eclipse to interact with /FNCEWS40SOAP

‏2012-10-30T12:59:04Z  in response to JCanipe
    Just a bit more information of the nature of my question. Many of our developers use Eclipse/java to interact with web services, hosted on various appservers, throughout our corporation. We will have upcoming requests to interact with our P8 5.1 zLinux enterprise solution. Your documentation states that IBM RAD and .Net are supported development platforms, but I need to verify if our developers can also consume the P8 web services with native Eclipse/Axis/(or Axis2). The developed web service clients may or may run in an appserver (some will be standalone web service clients).
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      693 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T14:50:05Z  in response to JCanipe
      You said that the documentation says RAD and .NET are supported platforms, but you failed to link to that documentation (or even cite it).

The docs on WS dev start @ http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/p8docs/v5r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.p8.common.dev.doc%2Fdev_roadmap%2Ftools.htm&path%3D10_0_1_6 that articles states:

The IBM FileNet P8 Platform includes web services for both Content Engine and Process Engine. Both web services are compliant with WS-I Basic Profile 1.0 and WS-Securit

So as long as the web service client you are using is WS-I & WS-Security compatible (and the ones you stated are AFAIK) then you are good to go.
      The getting started guide for CEWS dev is @ http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/p8docs/v5r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.p8.ce.dev.cews.doc%2Fconcepts%2Fintroduction.htm
      FYI: It's been my experience the support engineers at IBM are way more familiar with RAD, and if you don't use RAD they may fall to "best effort" support which is still good support but it means they might require you to recreate the issue with RAD. Usually the client has nothing to do with the problem, but sometimes it does.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        693 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T17:13:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I wish it were true that you could use any compatible client toolkit for building CEWS applications. Unfortunately, our experience in testing them has shown otherwise. The CEWS WSDL is pretty complex compared to the examples you usually see for such client toolkits, and each toolkit tends to have its quirks. Even different releases of the same toolkit can behave quite differently.

There is a specific list of supported client-side toolkits called out in the HW/SW guide for your CE server release. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3278&uid=swg27013654

Getting back to the original question about using Eclipse. It's obviously quite similar to RAD in many respects, but RAD has many IBM-specific pieces that are not available for vanilla Eclipse. If you were to develop your application in Eclipse and ran into problems, you might be asked to reproduce the problem in a supported client like RAD. If you could do that, you might not be completely on your own for support, though you would have to judge the inconvenience on your own.

I'll follow-up with a further question about your requirements at a higher level.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    693 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T17:17:13Z  in response to JCanipe
    >> When building a java client web service to interact with FNCEWS40SOAP or FNCEWS40MTOM hosted on Websphere 7.0

This is a little unclear to me. Do you mean that you are developing a web service that you will host in WAS 7? And that web service will turn around and interact with P8 CE?

If so, is there any reason your web service implementation cannot just use the CE Java API? If you can, you will sidestep all this CEWS support murkiness. You will instead have a full OO, typesafe API to work with. If you can't do that, could you say a little bit about why not to satisfy my curiosity? Thanks.
  • JCanipe
    JCanipe
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T17:53:18Z  in response to JCanipe
    Thank you very much for the replies to my post. Regarding the issue of websphere 7 and where this will run: these client web services will run outside of websphere 7 (most likely standalone and/or from another department's environments), and it will communicate to P8 5.1 running on zLinux Websphere 7 environment.
    You are very correct in that the SOAP and MTOM wsdls are complex and issues may occur with vanilla Eclipse. I have successfully developed several CE web service clients using RAD. Unfortunatly, many of our other departmental clients are not RAD based. I am trying to determine what will be needed by other departments to build web service client so they can communicate to our enterprise P8 zLinux Websphere 7 hosted system.
    Thank you again for your answers.
    • JCanipe
      JCanipe
      31 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-06T15:14:29Z  in response to JCanipe
      While this post can be closed, I am seeing some positive progress using native Eclipse and Apache CXF (instead of Axis2). Once I get the WS-Security header in place, I'll know for sure.
      • JCanipe
        JCanipe
        31 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-07T16:35:52Z  in response to JCanipe
        Happy to report that using a native Eclipse download (Indigo) and Apache CXF, I am able to successfully issue queries and content retrievals. Per P8 requirements, you have to build the WS-Security header (UserToken).