Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T16:23:57Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
642 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ISA5 b2 Team Server Health Center [Desktop] unable to connect

‏2012-10-29T18:46:33Z |
The Health Center Desktop tool of the ISA5 Beta 2 Team Server, does not appear to be able to connect to the same WAS JVMs that can be connected to while using the stand-alone desktop client ISA workbench v4. Am I missing something about this setup? The servers are open between each other and from my desktop, so I don't know why there is a connectivity problem.
Updated on 2012-12-10T16:23:57Z at 2012-12-10T16:23:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    221 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ISA5 b2 Team Server Health Center [Desktop] unable to connect

‏2012-10-30T17:14:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Dan,

This is a known problem with Health Center running in an Oracle JRE. When you run the tool with the ISA V4 workbench it's running with the IBM JRE that's packaged with the workbench. When you launch Health Center from ISA V5 it runs in the default JRE configured on the system where the tool will run. Does Health Center start up in an Oracle JRE when you launch it from ISA 5?

IBM doesn't generally distribute standalone Java Developer Kits, but there are cases when you can download an IBM JDK from developerWorks: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/index.html. Pay careful attention to the requirements for installing a JDK on various platforms and product configurations.

Regards,
    Russell
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      642 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T17:59:00Z  in response to rbwright
      The ISA 5 install I have is running with the JRE packaged with the install, which appears to be an IBM J9 VM.

<redacted>:/www/ISA5Beta2/ISA5/_jvm/jre/bin> ./java -version
      java version "1.6.0"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxa6460sr10-20111208_01(SR10))
      IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux amd64-64 jvmxa6460sr10-20111207_96808 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
      J9VM - 20111207_096808
      JIT - r9_20111107_21307ifx1
      GC - 20110519_AA)
      JCL - 20111104_02
      Doesn't seem like this is related to the Oracle JRE in this case.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    642 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T18:39:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Disregard my previous post. I forgot the Health Center tool is using local client Java and would indeed be running the Oracle JRE. So this makes the tool unusable by anyone in my enterprise since the corporate standard is Oracle JRE on desktops/laptops. Do you know if Health Center support for the Oracle JRE is on the roadmap or if there is any work-around for it? Changing the client JRE isn't really an option for my use.
    • rbwright
      rbwright
      221 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T20:39:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Dan,

Yes, there's a defect open against Health Center for the problem running in an Oracle JRE. We recognize that it's very common for the desktop tools to run in an Oracle JRE. I requested status on the defect when I posted my original reply to you. I'll post another reply when I have news.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
      Russell
      • rbwright
        rbwright
        221 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-31T13:03:38Z  in response to rbwright
        Hi Dan,

I received a response from the Java Tools team about the problem running Health Center in an Oracle JRE. They believe that the problem is with the IBM JRE that's listening for connections from Health Center rather than a defect in Health Center. That problem is under investigation, but I don't have an estimate for when a solution will be available.

In the meantime I suggest using Health Center with IBM Support Assistant V4. I hope you can continue to find value with the PD tools in ISA V5 while we work on a solution for the Health Center connection problem.

We look forward to any additional feedback you can provide about beta 2.

Regards,
        Russell
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          642 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T16:23:57Z  in response to rbwright
          Hi, the problem is with the jmx protocol we are using and this is being investigated further. In the meantime, you can get round this problem by adding the following argument to the -Xhealthcenter option in the jvm you are using to run the application you are monitoring.

-Xhealthcenter:transport=jrmp

This will use a different protocol for the agent and this does allow the Health Center client to connect

regards

Toby