4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-15T19:14:19Z by alethad
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6907 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic mklv & performance

‏2012-10-29T09:20:44Z |
Hello,

we have been migrating some Oracle database from Solaris to AIX. Currently we are testing different options for mklv command.
The most important for us is flexibility and performance (the disks are from hardware array).
One option is to use mklv -e x , the other is to use mklv -S ...
I the future when we add another LUNs from SAN disks I would like to online reorganize the whole volume (and gain on performance).
Hence the option '-e x' (+ reorgvg command). But from performance point of view is the '-S' option better ?
What is the stripe size when we use '-e x' ?
Updated on 2012-11-15T19:14:19Z at 2012-11-15T19:14:19Z by alethad
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: mklv & performance

‏2012-10-31T15:36:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You didn't say what type of SAN you have or what version of AIX. I would think the documentation for the SAN would give it's own recommendations. Oracle has their own recommendations for AIX as well.

We have a couple of models of SANs (DS8000's and XIV). We allow the SAN to handle the disks but my AIX shop may be smaller than yours.

With Oracle on AIX if you configure the AIX performance parameters as Oracle recommends you shouldn't have any major performance issues. Have you read that Redbook on AIX & Oracle Performance? I highly recommend it. You can find it on many previous posts in this forum.

Good luck.
    You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread -- stale & dry Loretta Lynn alethad
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6907 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-12T21:49:03Z  in response to alethad
      This is SAN based storage and AIX 6.1.
      Where I can find that Redbook on AIX & Oracle Performance ?
      I can't find it ...
      • alethad
        alethad
        286 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-15T19:12:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You can search this forum for it but here's a link to the Redbook. You'll want to read thru the whole thing and keep a copy of it for reference. I refer to it every time we get a new system that will have Oracle for the DB. And I refer back to it when necessary.
        http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP100883

Look at page31 for AIX parameters. You'll have to get your DBA, if it's not you, to look thru the Oracle section to set the Oracle parameters that are recommended.
        good luck.

You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread -- stale & dry Loretta Lynn alethad
        • alethad
          alethad
          286 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-15T19:14:19Z  in response to alethad
          One more thing. This Redbook is updated after new versions of AIX or Oracle are released. So you will want to check back to it for updates. It's a very good document.