3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-13T16:47:43Z by JohnxLong
JohnxLong
JohnxLong
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Zebra Printing through Client Access

‏2012-10-29T08:38:21Z |
Hi,

I'm trying to write some code to print to a Zebra printer connected via client access

I believe the RPG is correct but I'm not sure how to configure it in client access

Its attached to a pc via USB, Ive created a new CA session and defined it as a printer, but I'm not sure which printer type to define it as, i.e *IBM4212 etc and what the other settings should be.

I know the Printer can be connected by IP, but this isnt an option for me, it has to be via client access

Any help greatly appreciated.

John
Updated on 2012-11-13T16:47:43Z at 2012-11-13T16:47:43Z by JohnxLong
  • scott_klement
    scott_klement
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Zebra Printing through Client Access

‏2012-10-29T15:48:22Z  in response to JohnxLong
    How are you planning for this to work?

Are you planning to generate the ZPL codes directly in your RPG program? If so, I'd do a *WSCST with QWPDEFAULT. IBM does have a document where they describe settings for Zebra printers:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1ccf052269288d640862569c1006cd157

Or, are you planning to use this with software like TL Ashford, or similar? In that case, I'd contact them to see what they recommend.

Note that with this type of printer, you have to either use software designed for the printer, or you have to write software for the printer, that outputs ZPL/ZPLII (etc) as needed. You can't simply use DDS keywords like FONT, BARCODE, LINE, etc... IBM doesn't provide a way to transform their AFPDS format into Zebra's printer languages.
    • JohnxLong
      JohnxLong
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-29T16:36:00Z  in response to scott_klement
      Hi Scott
      Trust you are well, not spoken on here for a while

I've generated the ZPL via RPG, its working fine when I print to a device thats attached via IP to the iSeries

However, I cant attach the device directly, it has to be via client access, as you are no doubt aware, this creates the device desc and queues etc,

I'll give *WSCST a go and let you know how I get on

Thanks again for the help

John
      • JohnxLong
        JohnxLong
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-13T16:47:43Z  in response to JohnxLong
        Hi Scott,

Managed to get it all working, used *HP6 and that seemed to do the job.

Thanks for the help

John