2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-06T05:46:22Z by oymsj001
oymsj001
oymsj001
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Dynamic Schema Generation

‏2012-10-25T01:00:45Z |
Hi,

I am trying to come up with a way that I can pass an attribute name via an external variable. And then be able to access that attribute in the template, without first running schema discovery.

The problem is we have built a standard template, but we want the users to be able to customize it a little bit via external variables, but I can't find any way that I can take an attribute name via the variable and access it using a script.

If this is impossible for RPE Studio to do, is it possible to do it via Java? Or maybe even by editing the dxl that RPE runs to retrieve the data?

Kind regards,
Samuel O'Malley
Updated on 2012-11-06T05:46:22Z at 2012-11-06T05:46:22Z by oymsj001
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1375 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Dynamic Schema Generation

‏2012-10-26T12:49:02Z  in response to oymsj001
    Hey,

this is not possible right now but we have plans to add it to RPE ( see RFE 6480. In the meantime you can achieve what you want using the DOORS/Object/Attribute collection and filtering it by name ( compare the attribute name with the one stored your external variable). The main disadvantage of this approach versus schema discovery is performance as RPE needs to pull all the attributes from DOORS.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    • oymsj001
      oymsj001
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Dynamic Schema Generation

‏2012-11-06T05:46:22Z  in response to Dragos.Cojocari
      Hi Dragos,

Thanks so much Dragos. For anyone else who needs this I will attach an example template which pops up a message to ask what attribute name you want, and then for each object it will print out the value of that attribute, unless it is blank then it prints "null".

Kind regards,
      Samuel O'Malley