6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-24T20:55:57Z by smart_dev
smart_dev
smart_dev
56 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Configuring Hyperic HQ 4.6.6 with stand alone WXS8.5

‏2012-10-23T20:30:54Z |
Hi,

Having some problem trying configure hyperic with WXS stand alone environment. I am able to install both server and agents(one on each JVM for containers). I have followed the same steps mentioned in the infocenter here with some changes as applied to hyperic latest version(directory structure).

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wxsinfo/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.websphere.extremescale.doc/txsmonitorhyperic.html

I am seeing errors into the agent.log files as shown below.

23-10-2012 15:07:41,283 CDT ERROR Thread-6 NullScan@88 AutoScan failed for WebSphere eXtreme Scale 7.1
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.extremescale.XSServerDetector.getServerResources(XSServerDetector.java:151)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.scanimpl.NullScan.scan(NullScan.java:81)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.Scanner.start(Scanner.java:198)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.mainRunLoop(ScanManager.java:141)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.access$000(ScanManager.java:41)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager$1.run(ScanManager.java:107)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.extremescale.XSServerDetector$ObjectGridServer.validateServer(XSServerDetector.java:417)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.extremescale.XSServerDetector.detectObjectGridServers(XSServerDetector.java:86)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.extremescale.XSServerDetector.getServerResources(XSServerDetector.java:107)
... 5 more
Did anybody run through such problem before?

Appreciate any idea/suggestion.
Updated on 2012-10-24T20:55:57Z at 2012-10-24T20:55:57Z by smart_dev
  • Chris.D.Johnson
    Chris.D.Johnson
    480 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Configuring Hyperic HQ 4.6.6 with stand alone WXS8.5

‏2012-10-23T20:47:55Z  in response to smart_dev
    The WXS Hyperic plug-in uses the hyperic AutoServerDetector, which looks for the catalog server by looking at the the command line arguments. It's looking for the following:
    com.ibm.ws.objectgrid.server.impl.InitializationService <servername> -catalogServiceEndPoints <endpoints> -jmxServicePort <portnumber>

You need to use the startOgServer script with the -jmxServicePort argument. If you start the catalog server using any other method, it won't be able to automatically detect it.
    • smart_dev
      smart_dev
      56 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-23T21:08:02Z  in response to Chris.D.Johnson
      Thanks for the quick reply Cris. I am using server.properties file to push all the necessary arguments and provide this properties file's reference while running the start command for catalog as well as container servers.

Is there a way I can still use hyperic to pull out the useful matrix. I guess this is the recommended way as per IBM documentations to start the server.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.
      • Chris.D.Johnson
        Chris.D.Johnson
        480 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-24T01:40:47Z  in response to smart_dev
        The Hyperic plug-in is pretty small and simple, and was written to support startOgServer. It wouldn't take much for you to roll your own since it simply talks to our statistics MBeans via JMX. Hyperic has evolved quite a bit since this plug-in was written and there are probably better ways of detecting the catalog service now.

If you can, I'd suggest looking at ITM and ITCAM, which provide better integration options.
        Updated on 2012-10-24T01:40:47Z at 2012-10-24T01:40:47Z by Chris.D.Johnson
    • smart_dev
      smart_dev
      56 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-24T15:04:41Z  in response to Chris.D.Johnson
      Hi Chris,

I have run the grid servers using the following command and still having the same problem. Am I doing anything wrong?

./startOgServer.sh catd1 -JMXServicePort 1099 -serverProps /wxs/devl/config/catd1Server.properties -jvmArgs -Xmx1G

./startOgServer.sh cond1 -JMXServicePort 1099 -objectGridFile /wxs/devl/config/objectgrid.xml -deploymentPolicyFile /wxs/devl/config/deployment.xml -serverProps /wxs/devl/config/cond1Server.properties -jvmArgs -Xmx1G

Just wanted to re-iterate the fact that I am using WXS 8.5 on linux and hope that new version for hyperic 4.6.6 is compatible to my WXS version.

Please suggest.
      • Chris.D.Johnson
        Chris.D.Johnson
        480 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-24T17:43:13Z  in response to smart_dev
        You also need to add: -catalogServiceEndPoints <endpoints> to the command line:

./startOgServer.sh catd1 -catalogServiceEndPoints catd1:2809:6601:6602 -jmxServicePort 1099 -serverProps /wxs/devl/config/catd1Server.properties -jvmArgs -Xmx1G
        • smart_dev
          smart_dev
          56 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-24T20:55:57Z  in response to Chris.D.Johnson
          Thanks Chris. It did work now. Can you point me out in the direction where I need to modify the plugin to run it with only serverprops option and not jmxserviceport and catalogserviceEndpoints options?

It would also be good if you have some pointers on how to customize the existing plugin and related stuff.