Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-25T04:34:06Z by Jasi
DeepakBhatia
DeepakBhatia
35 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Migrating Project (RAD) to WEF

‏2012-10-23T17:29:59Z |
All,

We want to migrate existing portlet project created in RAD using IBM Portlet libraries to Web Experience Factory. My questions are:
1) What is the complexity of the migration?
2) Can WEF generate model from existing code when we copy to WEF?
Thanks,
Deepak Bhatia
Updated on 2012-10-25T04:34:06Z at 2012-10-25T04:34:06Z by Jasi
  • Jasi
    Jasi
    67 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Migrating Project (RAD) to WEF

‏2012-10-23T17:55:47Z  in response to DeepakBhatia
    And why do you want to do it?
    • DeepakBhatia
      DeepakBhatia
      35 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-23T18:02:53Z  in response to Jasi
      For 2 things 1) For mobile compatbility. 2) Want to use JSR 286/168 libraries this can be done using existing setup (RAD+ JSR libraries)

Thanks,
      Deepak Bhatia
      • Jasi
        Jasi
        67 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-23T18:44:07Z  in response to DeepakBhatia
        For sure, this is going to be an effort. Not just migration but after, since RAD and WEF are completely different programming paradigms. So you have to be sure its worth your time.

1) Mobile compatibility? Can you elaborate more on this? RAD of late has pretty useful mobile features that you may use. You can very easily create multi-channel apps that use portal device classes. Anything in specific that you WEF has and RAD doesn't?
        2) I did not understand your second part at all - can you pls elaborate more on this too?
        • DeepakBhatia
          DeepakBhatia
          35 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-23T21:27:18Z  in response to Jasi
          Jasi,

Thanks for quick reply.

Sorry for not being clear here is what we have and what we want to leverage:

We have a portal application developed using IBM Portlet API. We got a requirement to change IBM portlet APIs to JSR 286/168 portlet APIs and generate mobile portlets for existing working portlets.
          So we thought of exploring WEF (Web Experience Factory) to see if we can leverage WEF features that can generate mobile code for various mobile devices. Also WEF is a model based architecture most of the code is generated by WEF so we are not sure if existing portlets can be migrated as is and model can be generated by WEF.

Please let me know if need more information.

Thanks,
          Deepak Bhatia
          • Jasi
            Jasi
            67 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-25T04:34:06Z  in response to DeepakBhatia
            Hi Deepak,

Well I can say is conversion from IBM to JSR and from desktop to mobile is complex enough. However if you include conversion from RAD to WEF, you are adding another level of indirection. Also, im guessing your developers since theyve been working on RAD, may not be that comfy with WEF yet.
            So this is a call you have to take.
            I can only give you RAD perspective n the mobile part is pretty dev friendly to cover. Check out this link esp portal tools section :
            https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/rad/Rational+Application+Developer+V8.5+What%27s+New

Now, conversion from IBM to JSR is a bit more involved with, im guessing, any tool you use.
            I would suggest you hook up with ur IBM rep. I'm certain demos/wokrshops esp around mobile an be arranged to help you if needed.

Thanks!