Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-19T15:56:00Z by scott_klement
Arthur Adams
Arthur Adams
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM i Access Client

‏2012-10-22T13:58:27Z |
I've downloaded and am now using IBM i Access Client Solutions for 5250 access. I'm generally very happy with the way it works and we are getting close to replacing Client Access with this software for all of our users. However, before we do, does anyone know if there is any way in which I can permanently turn off column separators like I could in Client Access? We sometimes display data in colours other than green and anything yellow automatically displays with column separators as well.
Updated on 2012-11-19T15:56:00Z at 2012-11-19T15:56:00Z by scott_klement
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM i Access Client

‏2012-10-22T17:39:43Z  in response to Arthur Adams
    Our current level of code does not have the equivalent option. I'd like to make sure I understand your specific requirements. Please feel free to contact me directly at bseemann@us.ibm.com
    • Arthur Adams
      Arthur Adams
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-23T08:37:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I'll send you an email with screenshots so you know exactly what I am talking about, but, for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested, the option is amended by:

Select 'Display Setup' from the toolbar

Scroll down and select 'Viewing'

Column Separators can now be set to either Line, Dot or Off.
  • Arthur Adams
    Arthur Adams
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-26T14:38:24Z  in response to Arthur Adams
    I have another question: How do we install this software onto an iPad?

We couldn't find it in the app store, so we copied the unzipped folder to a shared folder on our network. Then when we ran Start_Binaries/Mac_i386-32_x86-64/acslaunch_mac we got the error message "Error 404 Operation couldn't be completed".

Does anyone have any ideas?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      102 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-26T18:05:33Z  in response to Arthur Adams
      You cannot install this on an iPad. iPads do not support java, so the application cannot run on an iPad. The command you are using is what you would use if you were running on a Mac. However, the article gave two examples of how you can run the application on the IBM i but redirect the graphics to your iPad. So it may look and feel like it is running on the iPad, but in reality, it is running on the IBM i. After going through the setup steps as described in the article, the command you would enter on the IBM i would be: "java -jar acsbundle.jar" The setup steps on the IBM i are different depending on whether you use an SSH or VNC connection. If you just run this command on the IBM i without the proper setup steps, you will get an error because the application will not know where to redirect the graphics. IBM does not have specific software for the iPad to support this. There is a variety of software available that support VNC and SSH connections from an iPad. The two I tried are referenced in the article. The Screens application provided the look and feel an iPad user would expect.
      • Arthur Adams
        Arthur Adams
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-29T14:21:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Could you please give me a link to the article you mentioned?

Thanks in advance.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          102 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-29T14:36:27Z  in response to Arthur Adams
          http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/library/i-access_client_solutions/index.html
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            102 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-16T17:57:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            One solution for the iPad, if you need users to have access to 5250 screens, is to use Rational HATS. It turns 5250 sessions into web pages, which you can then view via the Safari browser on the iPad (or any web browser on any device for that matter).

Here's a good overview:
            http://www.slideshare.net/strongback/build-smarter-user-interfaces-for-legacy-applications-with-ibm-rational-host-access-transformation-services
  • scott_klement
    scott_klement
    26 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-19T15:56:00Z  in response to Arthur Adams
    For a "normal" 5250 emulation... you might try MochaSoft. They have one in the App Store, and it works quite well on iPad. You do need to get the paid version, though... the free version is "crippled" (does not have all of the keyboard options you'd need -- so it's rather worthless.)

For a browser solution... the company that I work for, Profound Logic Software, also has one called Genie. I prefer it over HATS, personally -- so if you're looking to go that route, it might be worth evaluating. There's a free 30 day trial here:
    http://www.profoundui.com