Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-22T09:51:37Z by Henrik_Loeser
MKJT_Michael_Oliver
MKJT_Michael_Oliver
2 Posts

Pinned topic Universal Services for PureXML Documentation not current

‏2012-10-22T01:22:22Z |
I have DB2 Express-C 10.1 and the current UniversalSevices.zip (today 10/22/2012)

The README.pdf is from 2008 and the screen shots and instructions DO NOT coincide with what I am seeing on win 7 with CLP form 10.1.

Is PureXML dead? Is IBM so poor that they cannot keep the documents up to date? Very discouraging and not making me very comfortable in using pureXML. This is sad because I thought PureXML had such promise.
Updated on 2012-10-22T09:51:37Z at 2012-10-22T09:51:37Z by Henrik_Loeser
  • Henrik_Loeser
    Henrik_Loeser
    37 Posts

Re: Universal Services for PureXML Documentation not current

‏2012-10-22T05:22:50Z  
    Hej Michael,

are you referring to this "UniversalServices.zip", published 2008?
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0805malaika/

There is no Universal Services in DB2, but IBM offers add-ons, ideas, forums like this for exchange, etc. on developerWorks. Articles like the one regarding Universal Services are written and published. You will find articles that refer to DB2 7, DB2 8, etc. without anybody updating those articles.

Now that you seemed to have installed it: Does it work or not...? Feel free to comment on the article and the ideas presented. Is the article helpful to you?

Regarding is pureXML dead - here is a list of new pureXML features added to DB2 10.1: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.wn.doc/doc/c0023114.html
    --
    Henrik Loeser
    Read more about DB2 in my blog at http://blog.4loeser.net
  • MKJT_Michael_Oliver
    MKJT_Michael_Oliver
    2 Posts

‏2012-10-22T07:12:16Z  
    Henrik and Mathias,

Thanks for the update. I have returned to the UniversalServices article and posted one star and a comment that this is out of date and either update or remove.

Since it appeared to come from IBM and it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for, I jumped to that conclusion. I did note it was for an earlier version but many similar articles are equally old.

What I am doing is research on a consulting contract for a Service Oriented Architecture initiative, and they have been an Oracle shop for a while but seem genuinely interested in whatever is best for their SOA. I have worked with PureXML before and recommended that, now they want a proof of concept using IBM Websphere ESB, DB2 PureXML

What I was hoping to do was take a PureXML sample and convert it to run on the ESB to show the flexibility and performance that can be achieved.
  • Henrik_Loeser
    Henrik_Loeser
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-22T09:51:37Z  
    Henrik and Mathias,

Thanks for the update. I have returned to the UniversalServices article and posted one star and a comment that this is out of date and either update or remove.

Since it appeared to come from IBM and it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for, I jumped to that conclusion. I did note it was for an earlier version but many similar articles are equally old.

What I am doing is research on a consulting contract for a Service Oriented Architecture initiative, and they have been an Oracle shop for a while but seem genuinely interested in whatever is best for their SOA. I have worked with PureXML before and recommended that, now they want a proof of concept using IBM Websphere ESB, DB2 PureXML

What I was hoping to do was take a PureXML sample and convert it to run on the ESB to show the flexibility and performance that can be achieved.
    Why is it out of date? You would need to update the screenshots for every single fixpack. The article mentions a minimum of DB2 9.x (Version 9.1, 9.5, 9.7), it will work with DB2 10.1, too. Try it out... ;-)

--
    Henrik Loeser
    Read more about DB2 in my blog at http://blog.4loeser.net