Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-03T14:44:34Z by GKellner
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CC/CQ update/migration to RTC - looking for feedback/lessons learned

‏2012-10-19T19:25:09Z |
Env – CC/CQ/RP all at v 7.0.1.2. Using CC/CQ UCM
CQ/RP db using Oracle 10gR2, Oracle and CC db/rgy/lic server on HPUX 11.11
CC using atria license, Samba for inter-opt
Web server for CC/CQ/RP on Windows 2003R2

Clients – Windows – all using 7.0.1.2
HPUX client 11.0 – CC/CQ 2003.06
HPUX clients 11.11 – some at 2003.06, most at 7.0.1.12
All clients have local view storage.

Also have a group’s CC/CQ dbs multisited (disconnected mode) where replica site is also at 7.0.1.12

We are looking at migrating to JAZZ CLM suite 4.x (Doors NG, QM and RTC) at the end of the year and are probably expecting migration to be completed within 2 months at which time, the legacy CC/CQ/RP will only be used for historical info.

In preparation for migration to JAZZ, we are considering using CC/RTC synchronizers to maintain code changes in both systems until all users have migrated to JAZZ. As such, we need to upgrade to a later version of CC/CQ and RP.

According to release notes for CC7.1, HPUX 11.11 is no longer supported thus we plan on a new CC vob/rgy/lic server as well as CQ/RP Oracle dbs to be hosted on a Redhat v6 box. Our Jazz server will also be on Redhat v6.

I am trying to minimize impacts to both clients and our replica site in upgrading CC/CQ in order to support RTC synchronizers.

What is the minimum version that I need for CC/CQ given the above? From some research I noted at I should go to v 7.1.2.5. Looking at the v8 rel notes, I noted it stated that there are enhancements that support the RTC synchronizers. Should I go to v8 ?
Regardless of which version of CC/CQ I need to get too, what are the implications on the following.

Reqpro – the latest release is 7.1.3.4. If we need to go to v8 of CC/CQ – is RP 7.1.3.4 still compatible?

CQ – in migrating from Oracle 10gR2 on HPUX to a Redhat Oracle 11gR2:
  • Will 2003.x and 7.0.1.x clients still be usable or do they need to be upgraded to a later version?
  • Apart from modifying CQ clients cqprofile and license server pointers, are there other items to consider in upgrading?
  • Any Multisite replica impacts as a result of our upgrade/migration? Note: This site is an external customer.
  • Any schema changes/installed packages required?
  • I assume that if client upgrade are required due to server side upgrades, it is an uninstall/install process?

CC – in migrating to a Linux based server, what are the implications:
  • On moving a vob from HPUX to Linux if both systems are not at the same version? (I am referring to the move vob procedure - reformatvob)
  • Can I still use atria license manager in v7.1x or v8.x as this has client side implications no to mention getting new license keys?
  • Will 2003.x and 7.0.1.x clients still be usable or do they need to be upgraded to a later version?
  • Multisite replica impacts as a result of our upgrade/migration? Note: This site is an external customer.
  • Any schema/feature level upgrades required (our vobs are at schema 54, FL5)? According to v8 rel notes, for RTC syncs I need to upgrade the vobs to schema 8/FL7.
  • I assume that if client upgrade are required due to server side upgrades, it is a uninstall/install process? If so can users still use their existing views?

Did I miss anything?
Updated on 2012-12-03T14:44:34Z at 2012-12-03T14:44:34Z by GKellner
  • koinuma
    koinuma
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CC/CQ update/migration to RTC - looking for feedback/lessons learned

‏2012-10-19T22:18:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

In terms of CC Synchronizer, the minimum required ClearCase version for RTC 4.0 is 7.1.1. You do not have to upgrade schema or feature level. The schema 54 and the feature level 5 is sufficient for the synchronization. There is no specific enhancement related to the ClearCase synchronizer in ClearCase v8. However, the ClearCase-RTC bridge has some enhancements that is only available in v8, anyway.

The synchronizer works well after the upgrade to v7.1.2.5 or v8, but an alternative option is that you can set up one linux machine as a CC client with 7.1.1 or higher and access the VOB servers on HPUX which does not necessarily have to be 7.1.1 or higher. And you can set up the synchronizer on the linux box. By this way, you do not have to go through the upgrade hassle;) It is probably good idea to test the synchronization with staging CLM server before rolling it out to the production system.

Speaking of the multisite, the branch-type that you are synchronizing with has to be locally mastered because outgoing changes from RTC to CC are checked in.

And you can refer these pages for more information:
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.team.connector.scm.cc.doc/topics/c_sync_intro.html
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.team.connector.scm.cc.doc/topics/r_relnotes.html
    https://jazz.net/library/article/1011
    https://jazz.net/library/article/813

Good luck!

Masa Koinuma
    Team Lead of CC/CQ/RTC Connectors
  • Tgefen
    Tgefen
    721 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-21T08:10:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Norm,

1. You should consider to use ClearCase bridge (https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/features/integrations/).
    2. I tried it with RTC 4.0 and CC 8.0.0.1 . I think that CC8 provides more functionality for such integrations
    3. If you upgrade to CC8 clients, you must upgrade CQ clients to same level if they reside on same machine
    My 2 cents...

Regards,
    Tamir Gefen, GoMidjets
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-21T13:49:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    • ReqPro 7.1.3.4 goes with CC/CQ 8. CC/CQ upped the first digit and RP didn't.
    • How complicated is your CQ schema? What business logic do you have implemented there? Jazz work items are not as customizable as CQ. You will want to look at what you have to have, what you do not have to have, what you can make simpler and how to implement it in RTC.
    • look at your reporting needs. Depending on your industry they might be almost non-existent or heavy regulated. If you have massive reporting needs, you may need RPE (Rational Publishing Engine). More $$ and another server.
    • look at your CC process and triggers. If you need to customize beyond what is doable with the RTC process config GUI, you need to write java code, custom advisors. You will need a java programmer who can dig into the RTC api (Documentation quality is "interesting") or pay IBM $$ for this. How much of this you need depends on your current process, audit requirements(industry) and size.

hth
    Martina Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun
  • GKellner
    GKellner
    258 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-23T12:14:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    In our company one project started with RTC, using the WorkItems and the RTC versioncontrol.

Two problems they got:
    Due to the optimistic locking, they had problems to manage their RSA models.
    One developer started with his work while an other one delivered his work to the integration "stream".
    The first developer tried to deliver and got problems.
    I know there is a module for RSA to manage those cases, but it'll cost some extra money I think.

Performance via WAN.
    Due to the WAN performance between Germany and USA it was nearly impossible to load a new workspace in USA, when the project got larger.
    AFAIK they changed back to CC for versioning.

greetings georg.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-29T13:10:21Z  in response to GKellner
      Hello GKellner,

To respond to your second point : what specifically were the problems? We have thousands of users internally in IBM, and many customers which use successfully using RTC SCM across the WAN. We also provide proxy cache support to provide an "accelerator" to lessen the amount of WAN traffic used. See https://jazz.net/library/article/325

Wrt to your first point, I will follow up with the RSA team for more clarity.

Thanks
      JohnC
      RTC SCM Lead
      • GKellner
        GKellner
        258 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-03T14:44:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi John,

I know some presentations from the Jazz team or some IBM customers using RTC via WAN.
        I also know the possibilities to speed up RTC with proxys or WAN accelerators.

The specific problem was, they used a prototype installation of RTC in our environment, without evaluating those possibilities.

greetings georg.